C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My ADV1s are here! + TPMS question

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.33 average.

Old 08-27-2012, 11:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts
09 C63
I have had adv1 wheels for 2 years. 19 inch 3piece 5.1's. Never had an issue, perfect fit. Only thing I can say is **** they weigh alot. For comparrison, my stock rear wheel with tyre weighs 22kg, hre 20in with tyre weighs 24kg, adv 19in with tyre weighs 27kg.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Lexus GS300, 2007 Lexus GS350
Originally Posted by LegitLifeStyle
Hope ADV.1 takes care of you - i've got monoblocks on my car and they've been awesome. The quality issues over on M3post are blown out of proportion.

If you actually read the thread the actual facts are:
- All the "they suck" comments come from people with no first hand experience with their customer service or product.
- The cracked lip was a rim half part incorrectly made by the supplier, the same supplier that offers the SAME part with the SAME issue to HRE, etc.
- The customer was getting new wheels prior to the issue being posted and was not only given a fixed new set of wheels but a brand new set for any car for free.
- They have testing data posted on their site...

It's much ado about nothing as far as i'm concerned. I'm sure ADV.1 will take care of you - in my experience they have been nothing but superb to deal with. The ones posting already in this thread about how ****ty they are have... what 1 post count? I think that speaks for itself.
You obviously did not read the thread or you are in denial due to extreme ADV1 fanboy-ism.
It was not the barrels made by MHT that failed, it was the center or face of the wheel where ADV1 drilled double holes that reduced the structural integrety of the wheel. They then tried to disavow responsibility. They then tried to lie. they then tried to fraudulantly claim superiority of product and process.
Lokk, I don't pretend to claim every wheel from ADv1 is a failure...but this is the 3rd incident in recent weeks I've heard about. That is too many for a so-called premium wheel. But again, failures happen. I would be happy if they would just take care of the situation instead of all the game playing.

You were fortunate to get a good wheel and what ou feel was good service. Bully for you.....but don't rag on this guy because his experience was different. What's up with that?
Old 08-28-2012, 08:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 C63 2015 C300 sport
I saw those stories about ADV1 too, some before I bought, some after.

anyways small update.

ADV have agreed to cover the cost of repair for my wheels. I guess I am one of the lucky ones to get treated right by them. I am still getting minor vibrations passed 80mph though.

anyone else with ADV1 3 piece wheels have a problem at high speeds? I've heard it could also be an assembly problem, or that I need a more advanced balancer (I only took it to a local midas).

Last edited by natman316; 08-29-2012 at 12:56 AM.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 Challenger Hellcat, 2023 Ram 3500, 2005 E55 Wagon, 2019 GLC63s
Originally Posted by natman316
I saw those stories about ADV1 too, some before I bought, some after.

anyways small update.

ADV have agreed to cover the cost of repair for my wheels. I guess I am one of the lucky ones to get treated right by them. I am still getting minor vibrations passed 8mph though.

anyone else with ADV1 3 piece wheels have a problem at high speeds? I've heard it could also be an assembly problem, or that I need a more advanced balancer (I only took it to a local midas).

Get the wheels road force balanced. That should fix the problem.

R.K.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:32 AM

2005 C230K SS 6-Spd
Originally Posted by platinumsc
You obviously did not read the thread or you are in denial due to extreme ADV1 fanboy-ism.
It was not the barrels made by MHT that failed, it was the center or face of the wheel where ADV1 drilled double holes that reduced the structural integrety of the wheel. They then tried to disavow responsibility. They then tried to lie. they then tried to fraudulantly claim superiority of product and process.
Lokk, I don't pretend to claim every wheel from ADv1 is a failure...but this is the 3rd incident in recent weeks I've heard about. That is too many for a so-called premium wheel. But again, failures happen. I would be happy if they would just take care of the situation instead of all the game playing.

You were fortunate to get a good wheel and what ou feel was good service. Bully for you.....but don't rag on this guy because his experience was different. What's up with that?
There are multiple threads being referenced. My comments were to the first one with a defective wheel rim half. The second one with the double drilling done by MHT I agree should've never been shipped out. No fan-boyism here. Any manufacture of any product will have defects if they produce enough product... what matters is if they take care of their customers with issues. I'm glad to here this thread has a happy ending.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:41 AM

MB
I wouldn't call a vibration a happy ending. It could be a bad tire, or it could be a bad wheel. They need to remove the tire and spin the wheel to see if the wheel is ok.

Old 08-29-2012, 12:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C63 2015 C300 sport
oh no far from it. I just wanted to update that it was not that bad wheel that caused the vibrations. its still very much there. I will try to find a shop that will road force balance the wheels for me and report back.

btw its 80mph not 8 lol.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
2010 C63 AMG, 2009 ISF , 2002 L-Tuned IS300, 2011 ML350
Natman, I'm glad to hear they will cover the cost of repairing ur rim.

As for ur vibration, if u had ur wheel/tire balance at Midas, then I doubt it's a balancing problem. It brings me to think u might have the wrong center bore.. Can u measure it urself?
Old 08-29-2012, 01:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C63 2015 C300 sport
sure I could. but am I just looking for 66.5? like when I measured my "9.5" wide wheels i got like 10.3 or something. I dont really know where to measure from. I really hope its not this though but maybe I should do it before I spend the money to re balance the wheels.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Frankly, I've never had to measure my center bore, but I would assume u will have to measure the inner edge of the wheel bore.. And measure to outer edge of ur car center bore to see if they match?? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

As for measuring ur wheel width, u have to measure from the inside of the outer lip to the inside of the inner barrel.. In other words, u have to start measuring the inner portion where the tire touches the wheels. Sry if my explanation is not too clear.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:15 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,400 Likes on 2,845 Posts
2012 CLS63
not loving them......but if you like 'em....that's the deal
Old 08-29-2012, 08:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
2016 C63 S
oh no far from it. I just wanted to update that it was not that bad wheel that caused the vibrations. its still very much there. I will try to find a shop that will road force balance the wheels for me and report back.

btw its 80mph not 8 lol.

Wheels that are not balanced or are out of balance generally produce a vibration that is uncomfortable to drive in and results in premature wearing of suspension and steering components, rotating parts and tyres.

Correctly balanced wheels help to eliminate vibration and avoid premature wear caused by an imbalance in the rotating wheel and tyre assembly.

The first sign that your wheels may be out of balance is when your steering wheel starts to wobble above a certain speed. The light weight of modern cars means that they don't dampen down the vibrations caused by spinning wheels in the way that older, heavier vehicles could.

Definitely get it Road Force Balanced
Old 08-29-2012, 09:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'16 GTS Solar
FWIW my cousin ordered a set of ADVs for his GT-R last year and had major vibration issues...can't remember which model but they were 21" in an aggressive fitment and he couldn't go above 60 mph without substantial vibration - this was after several attempts at mounting, dismounting, balancing, etc...he wasn't a happy camper and they weren't helpful in offering to make his situation right.

Long story short, he shipped the wheels back to ADV and filed a dispute claim thru Amex and never looked back. Mind you, these wheels cost close to $10K.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Callmiro, OP said he got his wheels/tires balanced at Midas, what would be the difference between that shop & a road force balance?

I always let Frisby tire in Ottawa balance my wheels & never had a problem.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
2016 C63 S
Originally Posted by Roswell
Callmiro, OP said he got his wheels/tires balanced at Midas, what would be the difference between that shop & a road force balance?

I always let Frisby tire in Ottawa balance my wheels & never had a problem.

Most shops just have a normal balancer where the tire spinsfreely and then is balanced.

A Road Force Machine has a wheel that pushes down on the tire simulating the weight of the car going down the road, giving you a more real world balance.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2014 E63S Wagon
i believe it will also tell you if you need to mount the tire at a different location relative to the wheel. My tire shop guy showed me how they balanced my wheels and it was pretty advanced.

basically it tells you to mount the tires x mm forwards/backwards from it's current mount point to reduce the amount of weights required to balance the wheel. My wheel/tires were roadforce balanced and i have no vibration issues.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Wow, good infos here! I'll sure look into road force nxt time I need to balance my wheels.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:43 PM

09 C63, 11 Cayenne S
You don't need to road balance your wheels at all. We have what you call a laser balance wheel machine that will tell you if the wheel will be able to be balanced with a computer print out. It automatically tells me where or what speed your wheels will vibrate. It will also tell me if they can be balanced at all before I put a tire on. As for the tire itself, there is usually a little blue mark on the tire from the manufacturer that tells me the best position to put the tire on the rim for the best balance as well.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 Challenger Hellcat, 2023 Ram 3500, 2005 E55 Wagon, 2019 GLC63s
Originally Posted by shades
You don't need to road balance your wheels at all. We have what you call a laser balance wheel machine that will tell you if the wheel will be able to be balanced with a computer print out. It automatically tells me where or what speed your wheels will vibrate. It will also tell me if they can be balanced at all before I put a tire on. As for the tire itself, there is usually a little blue mark on the tire from the manufacturer that tells me the best position to put the tire on the rim for the best balance as well.

Most high end shops have machines like yours. That's what my wheels and tires were balanced on. The road force balance machines are easier to find but still tougher than your typical balancing machine that Midas will use.

R.K.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:59 PM

MB
Originally Posted by BK63amg
FWIW my cousin ordered a set of ADVs for his GT-R last year and had major vibration issues...can't remember which model but they were 21" in an aggressive fitment and he couldn't go above 60 mph without substantial vibration - this was after several attempts at mounting, dismounting, balancing, etc...he wasn't a happy camper and they weren't helpful in offering to make his situation right.

Long story short, he shipped the wheels back to ADV and filed a dispute claim thru Amex and never looked back. Mind you, these wheels cost close to $10K.
You have a link for a thread from him on a forum like NAGTROC?
He paid $10,000!!!! DAMN!!!!!
He could have bought the best wheels available period for that money, BBS F1.

Old 08-30-2012, 07:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C63 2015 C300 sport
Originally Posted by BK63amg

Wow! Sucks to hear. yeah, if this is not working out I def have a ask them to return the wheels -__-

Wishing I went with a HRE motorsport monoblock or something now

Originally Posted by shades
Well in my small little college town far from everything, I think finding a road force machine would be hard enough haha. if I cant get these wheels to stop vibrating after a road force balance then I think I might have to return them to ADV

I've put after market wheels on cars before and I've never had them vibrate even just balancing it at a local Midas/Pepboys.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:53 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,400 Likes on 2,845 Posts
2012 CLS63
Wow! Sucks to hear. yeah, if this is not working out I def have a ask them to return the wheels -__-

Well in my small little college town far from everything, I think finding a road force machine would be hard enough haha. if I cant get these wheels to stop vibrating after a road force balance then I think I might have to return them to ADV

I've put after market wheels on cars before and I've never had them vibrate even just balancing it at a local Midas/Pepboys.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:58 AM

09 C63, 11 Cayenne S

Your absolutely right. Most wheels can be balanced by any good machine. But in those rare cases when you spend an arm and a leg for wheels and tires and they are still not balancing, you need proof so you can show the vendor there is Indeed something wrong with the wheels and you need to return them for a new set or refund. I hope you have good luck with this whole mess with ADV
Old 08-30-2012, 10:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Same here, I didn't know road force balancing is even necessary. But at this point in ur case, u got nothing to lose.

Have u tried measuring the center bore yet? U should try before u spend more money on balancing.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:12 AM

MB

Search here. Maybe you'll get lucky.

http://www.gsp9700.com/search/findgsp9700.cfm

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.33 average.

Quick Reply: My ADV1s are here! + TPMS question