C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C63 Coupe cracked rear 19inch alloys HELPPP!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 09:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes c63 amg
Welcome aboard bro, I crack 4 wheel in one summer... Not so special when you drive in Quebec,,, officially the worst road quality... I race also with forgestar... 2 crack... Dawn I really think that the car is to heavy for the 19 wheels cap. But for the rest this car rock

Check on a repairs wheel in internet from your service area you will find and they would fix it for about 100 each
Old 01-26-2014, 10:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 C63 coupe P31
Wow now that's unsettling to read. I refused wheels & tires insurance when I bought mine because I thought it was overpriced. Maybe I shouldn't have...
Old 01-27-2014, 12:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 794 Likes on 545 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Originally Posted by masterianvii
It's not unknown. There is a fairly limited types of alloys for specific applications. Maybe one or two elements may differ, but the overall principles must be observed, which the core elements of the alloy's composition dictate. If it was completely unknown how would anyone certify safety standards and allow for these components to be legal?

What exactly is this disaster you're speaking of? Are we talking about the wheel exploding into fragments, losing control of the car, and crashing into imminent death? The only disaster I can foresee for such a "fix" is another crack near or around the weld area, resulting in the original problem. A slow and barely noticeable air leak, which may or may not result in another flat tire. I honestly think the chances of getting killed by a drunk driver far outweigh the chances of wrecking over an exploding rim due to negligent welding. By that logic we probably shouldn't even be driving on the road in the first place. Either way I did my research, I consulted with the right people, I fixed it, saved a $1000, and so far, so good.

As said before, there is always wheel insurance, and people who think its worth the price gladly pay for it.

There are so many problems with the first part of your statement that I am not going to address it here. There are plenty of resources on the Internet that you can consult that should convince you that welding a cracked or broken alloy rim is a bad idea for a number of reasons (Google "stress fractures in welded aluminum alloys"), but if you've already made up your mind there is no point in either one of us wasting time here. Overall principles with he same core elements are responsible for making up everything in the universe, and certifying a wheel has nothing to do with repairing it.

A sudden tire blowout (if the rim section that was repaired gives way around the repair weld, which is not unusual) can easily cause you to lose control of the vehicle. What happens after that depends on a large number of factors, but if you Google "ford explorer firestone tire recall" it might give you a general idea. Too bad no one from Ford thought of using the "hit by drunk driver vs. tire failure probability" statistic in their defense - you could have saved them millions if you had told them of this at the time of the lawsuit.

I am not debating the merits of wheel insurance, only the merits of welding cracks in your wheels. Yes, there already is enough danger on the roads from intoxicated and distracted drivers. Why would you knowingly increase that risk yourself by performing a cheap, improper repair on a critical part of your car?
Old 01-29-2014, 09:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LADA 1600
Originally Posted by Diabolis
There are so many problems with the first part of your statement that I am not going to address it here. There are plenty of resources on the Internet that you can consult that should convince you that welding a cracked or broken alloy rim is a bad idea for a number of reasons (Google "stress fractures in welded aluminum alloys"), but if you've already made up your mind there is no point in either one of us wasting time here. Overall principles with he same core elements are responsible for making up everything in the universe, and certifying a wheel has nothing to do with repairing it.

A sudden tire blowout (if the rim section that was repaired gives way around the repair weld, which is not unusual) can easily cause you to lose control of the vehicle. What happens after that depends on a large number of factors, but if you Google "ford explorer firestone tire recall" it might give you a general idea. Too bad no one from Ford thought of using the "hit by drunk driver vs. tire failure probability" statistic in their defense - you could have saved them millions if you had told them of this at the time of the lawsuit.

I am not debating the merits of wheel insurance, only the merits of welding cracks in your wheels. Yes, there already is enough danger on the roads from intoxicated and distracted drivers. Why would you knowingly increase that risk yourself by performing a cheap, improper repair on a critical part of your car?
Attached is a pic of the crack I had welded, just to put things in perspective here.
Attached Thumbnails C63 Coupe cracked rear 19inch alloys HELPPP!!!-crackedrim1.jpg