Best header/tune combo for a c63 black series

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 08:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 C63 AMG Black Series
Best header/tune combo for a c63 black series

Hey guys,

I've had my car for about a month and I'm already getting the urge to do some mods, specifically long tube headers and a tune. I'm wondering what is the best combo of long tube headers and a tune. Any ideas? Also, would I have any fitment issues with the headers being that it is a BS? Let me know what you guys think. Thanks!

Nick
Old 11-09-2012, 09:47 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
American racing headers and Eurocharged tune.

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 11-09-2012, 10:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
You're going to void your warranty.

MHP makes the best LTH's IMO.

Tune = Weistec, they know these engines and fuel management systems inside and out.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
507 SEDAN
MHP have a history of throwing CEL codes. I would definitely go for some LTH that are above and classier built than the MHP's. They certainly do NOT make the best LTH of all that are available to the C63's. Try looking at what Vivid Racing has to offer or look to Kleemann or Agency Power. Mhp are a hassle to deal with, only because of the codes they "potentially" throw. Throw a little bit of more money in and you will be very happy. Search around and you will find this the case.

Last edited by jordanaf; 11-10-2012 at 07:38 AM.
Old 11-10-2012, 01:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SL55, CLK55, C63BS
Talked with renntech about my c63 bs and they were more than willing to get me extra hp. Airbox computer tune titanium exhaust all for 15,000dollars , however you do keep warranty.
Old 11-10-2012, 02:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by jordanaf
MHP have a history of throwing CEL codes. I would definitely go for some LTH that are above and classier built than the MHP's. They certainly do NOT make the best LTH of all that are available to the C63's. Try looking at what Vivid Racing has to offer or look to Kleemann or Agency Power. Mhp are a hassle to deal with, only because of the codes they "potentially" throw. Throw a little bit of more money in and you will be very happy. Search around and you will find this the case. MHP are on the LOW end of headers.
Sir,

Could you answer a few questions for me?:

1) What makes you think that MHP makes the "low end Long tube headers? can you elaborate? do you have any experience with MHP?
2) why is MHP a hassle to deal with? When I had MHP tune and headers Andy answered e-mails and calls in the early hours of the morning even when he was having dinner and relaxing with the family
3) What makes you think that MHP throws CEL and others don't? I had O2 sensor fouler with 24" extensions plug and play harness and my car never threw a CEL

MHP is the pioneer on the long tube headers for the C63, that is the botton line.
Old 11-10-2012, 02:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

507 SEDAN
Originally Posted by C63newdude
Sir,

Could you answer a few questions for me?:

1) What makes you think that MHP makes the "low end Long tube headers? can you elaborate? do you have any experience with MHP?
2) why is MHP a hassle to deal with? When I had MHP tune and headers Andy answered e-mails and calls in the early hours of the morning even when he was having dinner and relaxing with the family
3) What makes you think that MHP throws CEL and others don't? I had O2 sensor fouler with 24" extensions plug and play harness and my car never threw a CEL

MHP is the pioneer on the long tube headers for the C63, that is the botton line.
I certainly wasn't meaning in every application.

I deal with Jerry at Eurochraged on a every mod basis, and he has time and time again steered me away from MHP.

1. I do not have any personal experience with MHP, mainly because "my" tuner has never let me try.
2. I did not mean to imply that they are personally hard to deal with, just that they have been know to "mess" with tunes more than other headers. I'm sure Andy is a great guy and very decent to deal with. My assessment and implication was NOT referring to customer service. It was referring to how they mate with MB and some of the OEM systems.
3. I wasn't saying that other don't, I am just relaying my experience about running across them and the decision not to use them. And certainly from myself, and Eurocheragred, I did not say that EVERY MHP header was flawed or threw codes. My tuner has used them several times, and they are the headers that have given him the most trouble. As I stated, it isn't that ALL MHP products are guilty of throwing CEL codes. They have just given the most of a very reputable tuner that has tried them over the years. Many applications have never presented an issue, but there have been many sets of headers, specifically, that have been problematic.

And, regardless of Eurocharged, MHP are NOT the pioneers of LTH, I do not care whom you speak with or ask. There are many of European companies that were making/producing headers for AMG's LONG, LONG before MHP was around. To call them pioneers is silly, no disrespect to MHP. These are German cars and MHP has been producing USA aftermarket part for years less than some EU companies. I have not always used Eurocharged, but there are many GERMAN companies that have been doing this longer and more efficiently and error-free then MHP have. Personally, I prefer Kleemann which is the elite of all MB header companies. You definitely pay for a premium for the product, but there are no worries.

I'm sure Andy gives/has great customer service!!! But I care more for the product than an answer in the middle of dinner or the middle of night.

Trending Topics

Old 11-10-2012, 02:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Jordan,

Have you even seen MHP headers?? Do you think all these guys running them are doing it because they like Andy and want to be his best friend??

They are running them, because they WORK, plain and simple.

Kleeman headers? Really give me a break lol. I've never even heard of MHP headers throwing a code. Way to throw a thread right off course with your nonsense.
Old 11-10-2012, 02:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Spine55
Talked with renntech about my c63 bs and they were more than willing to get me extra hp. Airbox computer tune titanium exhaust all for 15,000dollars , however you do keep warranty.

Better call MBUSA and ask them if Renntech is warranty approved.

Not exactly sure how it works in the states... But in Canada, MB Canada makes the rules, not the local dealers and certainly not an aftermarket company..

You want GOOD headers look into MHP... There is a reason why so many guys are running them.

Renntech is good, they were my first tune, but they are way too expensive. You're paying a huge premium for the name with those guys...
Old 11-10-2012, 07:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

507 SEDAN
Originally Posted by Merc63
Jordan,

Have you even seen MHP headers?? Do you think all these guys running them are doing it because they like Andy and want to be his best friend??

They are running them, because they WORK, plain and simple.

Kleeman headers? Really give me a break lol. I've never even heard of MHP headers throwing a code. Way to throw a thread right off course with your nonsense.
First off, I have no idea who Andy is. So, I certainly cannot try to be friends with an imaginary person. And I have no intention of being someone's "best friend" hundred's of miles away. What are you 25years old and living a high school mentality? And second, give you a break about Kleemann headers? Last I heard and have known, had them on 3 different cars, they are HIGHLY respected. Thirdly, I was giving an opinion on what I have heard. You do understand that this is an internet forum, a device through which we ALL share our opinions. (You must have MHP headers. It's okay for someone else not to like them). Nonsense? With the particular tune that I have, I have been told they tend to throw codes. I am at least contributing to the thread, whereas you are taking time and energy AWAY form the thread just to point out that I'm wrong. So, who's full of nonsense?

I'm 40years old and don't have time for your kiddie play. I am hear to give help to the other members. Again, we are all just sharing our opinions/experience wit each other. Then, one gleams their own knowledge and makes his/her own opinion.

Back to the OP, with the Eurocharged tune, the MHP headers have been know to throw codes. And for you to say MHP headers are THE BEST, is just juvenile. I'm sure that they are fine. But the best??? How can you qualify that statement? Grow up, mature a little, and you will understand life a little more. Different devices work differently with different applications.

This is one thing I hate about this forum, little punks trying to put other people in their "place". I was giving one mans opinion about a subject, it can be taken or left. Not a big deal. But instead of adding to this thread, it was actually YOU whom diverted and started with nonsense.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

507 SEDAN
Did you notice that until you, no one had mentioned MHP?

Coincidence?

You must have them, and that's okay. But it is impossible to qualify them as the best. It didn't mean you chose the wrong headers or that anyone was putting your car/choice down.

Even when I originaly addressed the OP, I started off by saying that "I didn't mean in every application".

You have a lot to learn and just because you have picked parts for your 63, does not make them the best.

Last edited by jordanaf; 11-10-2012 at 07:41 AM.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:02 AM

AMG
I have MHP headers on mine with stock mids ( going straight is just crazy loud ). No CEL.
I made +12hp with these and stock mids and no software. I let you be the judge.

Be sure not to get Velos tune for the BS. They just don't work. Read my post on another thread with dyno graphs to prove.

Better go with a Weistec tune to be sure.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
2014 Audi RS7
Originally Posted by NJM63
Hey guys,

I've had my car for about a month and I'm already getting the urge to do some mods, specifically long tube headers and a tune. I'm wondering what is the best combo of long tube headers and a tune. Any ideas? Also, would I have any fitment issues with the headers being that it is a BS? Let me know what you guys think. Thanks!

Nick
Nick,
I'm gonna skip all the drama that this thread has created and give you my personal experience and suggestion. I originally started with the MKB shorty header and then moved to the MHP L/T's which was the first L/T header on the market at the time. Don't know or care if that makes them the pioneer, you choose. I moved because they produced more HP and thats what I was looking for.
My friend Howard on this forum (HHughes1) who races with me originally bought the "log" style headers from Kleeman and then moved on to the MHP. The MHP quality is exceptional and their performance is the best in the market. If you are looking for all out performance then look at the MHP. The top spots in performance all have the MHP L/T headers. There are others out there but they just don't have the performance stats that the MHP does.
For the installation they are straight forward and the quality is second to none.
As far as the code issue(CELS) that will be solved with the tune.

As far as the tune is concerned I'll leave that up to you. I would recommend the MHP tune or secondly Weistec but no one else.

Good luck with your quest for performance.
Old 11-10-2012, 03:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Dads, MHP is the best??? You must be juvenile and 25yrs old!!
Old 11-10-2012, 05:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 Audi RS7
Dads, MHP is the best??? You must be juvenile and 25yrs old!!
Seriously, first of all I'm more than twice over the 25 year mark and I hope you are being sarcastic. If not, I'm not sure what headers you are dreaming about that out perform MHP N/A. Not gonna get into a drama conversation because I have facts to back up mine. What data and experience with the MHP headers are you basing your comments on?? If its just drama, or your opinion with no personal experience or facts then lets please move on.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Porsche 911 Turbo S 2014! E63S 14, Audi S8 13, CLS63 12, E550 12, C63 09, all tuned
This thread is bias, my advice is do your research yourself.
You have great car, and you do not need go cheap.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Dads C63
Seriously, first of all I'm more than twice over the 25 year mark and I hope you are being sarcastic. If not, I'm not sure what headers you are dreaming about that out perform MHP N/A. Not gonna get into a drama conversation because I have facts to back up mine. What data and experience with the MHP headers are you basing your comments on?? If its just drama, or your opinion with no personal experience or facts then lets please move on.

You didn't get my sarcasm. I'm poking at Jordan. I run Mhp headers, because yes, they are the best on the market for the M156.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:37 AM
Banned

C63
You didn't get my sarcasm. I'm poking at Jordan. I run Mhp headers, because yes, they are the best on the market for the M156.
No, They aren't!

If that the case, why did "Bad430Benz" switch from MHP to MBH?

Hey, u seem to be a Weistec customer. Go ask them which headers consistently makes more HP on thier Dyno than MHP......

MBH headers are the deal for the NA/Supercharged M156
Old 11-11-2012, 01:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
You know what when I got my kit I asked if I should switch to the MBH 2 inch primaries because of that post badbenz made.... and I was told the biggest issue with that switch was he wasn't running an X pipe before..

They said running a good X pipe is the biggest issue. Otherwise I would have sold my headers and went with the MBH.

I don't like the design of MBH, they are not a true long tube header... Go out to your local drag strip and count how many guys are running Tri Y headers... I bet it wont be much!

Last edited by Merc63; 11-11-2012 at 02:03 AM.
Old 11-11-2012, 04:54 AM
Banned

C63
You know what when I got my kit I asked if I should switch to the MBH 2 inch primaries because of that post badbenz made.... and I was told the biggest issue with that switch was he wasn't running an X pipe before..
BS...Weistec told me over the phone and "Bad430Benz", The 2inch Primary MBH headers make more power...a diffrence of at least 40rwhp. No Xpipe will give you a diffrence of 40rwhp...looooool

I don't like the design of MBH, they are not a true long tube header... Go out to your local drag strip and count how many guys are running Tri Y headers... I bet it wont be much!
And how many guys are running MHP headers at the dragstrip?

4-5?.and all runing @ best traction and negative DA at dragstrips such as MIR or ATCO with many lightweight mods....oh and not to mention 200 shot of NOS

Belive what you want to belive, but an MBH header matched tuned C63 will outpreform an MHP header matched tune C63...thats IMO
Old 11-11-2012, 05:43 AM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
Originally Posted by M156Beast
BS...Weistec told me over the phone and "Bad430Benz", The 2inch Primary MBH headers make more power...a diffrence of at least 40rwhp. No Xpipe will give you a diffrence of 40rwhp...looooool

4-5?.and all runing @ best traction and negative DA at dragstrips such as MIR or ATCO with many lightweight mods....oh and not to mention 200 shot of NOS

Belive what you want to belive, but an MBH header matched tuned C63 will outpreform an MHP header matched tune C63...thats IMO
I to also have issues with the words...best quality...pioneer... hassle free, these words are simply not true

An other fact to consider Full LTH style headers are just too loud for daily driving and you will eventually hate it..if you don't your neighbours will!

on NA 63 engines the rasp is nasty
Old 11-11-2012, 07:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 Audi RS7
I think you guys are missing the point here. My post said the best header for an N/A car. You will lose torque and performance with the MBH header vs MHP N/A. The total HP output may be similar but your torque curve will be stronger with the smaller primaries and collector. Your SOTP feel and 1/4 mile performance will be stronger N/A with the MHP. If you go with a blower from Weistec then the larger primary may work better. I don't have any proof of that but I understand the engineering behind it. You pick what you like but on the exact same car, exact same day, the N/A car will out perform with MHP vs MBH. With a S/C car that may not be the case. I believe that if you ask Steve at Weistec which is better N/A you will hear MHP.

Good luck with your mods!!
Old 11-11-2012, 12:08 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 91 Likes on 46 Posts
C63, SL55, E55, CLS55, ML63, C55
Thank you to everyone who considers us when looking for a header system. When I set out years ago to make headers for only Mercedes, we employed some great fabricators to develop an in house team that can build some of the best built headers you can find in any aftermarket car segment. It would have been very easy for me to reach out to a domestic header maker that makes headers for Corvette, Mustang and such. Or even private labeling something from China or Korea and calling it our own.

We took the durability need in desert off-road racing and the reliability needed from IRL racing, and vintage Warbird restoration. And brought all of those things to the Mercedes community.

Still to this day we do custom made header systems and fabrication for a variety of things. From 1000hp sand rails, custom turbo setups, to the first ever 6 inch lift kit for the G55 AMG. So its not un-common for us to have a take the core elements of our custom shop market and employ that to what we offer for the Mercedes enthusiast.

Unlike other headers available in a cookie cutter fashion for the Mercedes. We are able to actually make a header system in just about any configuration the customer wants. Case in point, Our mid-section. It can be configured in a number of ways. From adding an X-pipe or H-pipe. To primary, secondary cats or both. Or maybe the customer wants cats, along with an additional set of resonators. How about 2.5", 2.75", or 3" collectors on the header. We can do that.

We can even modify our header system down the road to meet the customers modification needs as they change. All the customer has to do is contact us, tell us what they want to do, then send us their header system back to be modified. I'm not aware of anyone doing that in the Mercedes market.

With that said we consider our self more of a custom Mercedes header maker. With just about every header system sold is specifically made for a particular customer.

Of course our standard products are made in a configuration we feel best takes advantage of what the general Mercedes enthusiast is looking for. Another case in for of this is... On our 55 AMG headers. Since all 55 kompressor cars run an Air ride or hydraulic suspension. We know that just about everyone lowers their AMG via ELM's or links. So taking that into consideration we have consistently designed our headers to not have a 4 into 1 collector sit directly under the chassis. As soon as you go over a speed bump you are more than likely going to scrape or damage a collector.

With older muscle cars of yesteryear this was never a problem. So the image people have of a long tube headers are based on designed where particular elements never had to be factored in.

Think about it, How many people approach a speed bump at an angle? Why? So you dont smash your exhaust or front bumper off it. Heck, If I dont pay attention I still scrape parts of my factory system when I leave or pull into my driveway.

Fact of the matter is, people are always going to like one header system over another. That's completely fine, Its all about what makes you happy. We have always tried to set ourselves apart from the rest by offering a 100% made in the USA product that can be custom designed for your needs. Using the best materials for the application. With a focus on craftsmanship that I feel is un-matched by any aftermarket header maker in any car segment.

With that said, out of the 100's of sets of headers we have made or sold for the Mercedes, We have never had a headers system crack or a weld fail to date. I feel this is a testament to what we put into our headers when we make then.

Again guys, thanks for even mentioning us int his conversation. It's great to have our products considered in the conversation.
Old 11-11-2012, 02:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 f250 6.7 diesel
petro proved that your wrong, and dont post misleading info

QUOTE=M156Beast;5428049]BS...Weistec told me over the phone and "Bad430Benz", The 2inch Primary MBH headers make more power...a diffrence of at least 40rwhp. No Xpipe will give you a diffrence of 40rwhp...looooool

Belive what you want to belive, but an MBH header matched tuned C63 will outpreform an MHP header matched tune C63...thats IMO[/QUOTE]
Old 11-11-2012, 02:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Zod
I to also have issues with the words...best quality...pioneer... hassle free, these words are simply not true

An other fact to consider Full LTH style headers are just too loud for daily driving and you will eventually hate it..if you don't your neighbours will!

on NA 63 engines the rasp is nasty
I agree with you the noise from LTH is extremely loud. You must run an X pipe to tone it down.

This is something to also consider.

MBH is also another good product to consider if you want to try the tri y design.

M156: you running a blower? What header do you run? Or are you just trolling?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Best header/tune combo for a c63 black series