C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

for those who blacked out your grill and badges, pls come in!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 12:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
2012 C63 AMG Sedan
Originally Posted by DuaneC63

Tools and material

Remember on the upper trim to slide the hard plastic pry tool forward until you feel the clip, then gently pop the trim off. The lower trim lifts up easiest from front to back. Front mirrors have two little screws under the speaker grill that just pops out. Just tape them so they don't go banging against your doors. Take your time with the tape. It's easy to work with. Have a credit card handy to smooth out any bubbles. Also a fine needle you can pop them and they will lie flat with no hole to see. The main thing is to have a very smooth large clean surface (like a glass dinning table) to work on.

Thank you SO much for this Duane. This is exactly what I need to have some confidence to do this. Going to wait for a nice dry day and some time to do this. What's the work time roughly that I should set aside for a project like this?

Also, Looking at the tape you used, I am finding it in both 2 inch and 1 inch widths. Would the 1 inch be wide enough?

EDIT: Seems that I found it in a number of widths including 1" 1.5" and 2"

Last edited by SaphGreyC63; 12-03-2012 at 12:39 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
08 C63 AMG
Plasti-dip your grille so if it chips you can just spray on it again (DYI) unlike professionaly painted grille if it chips you have to bring it to them again and have it painted $$$ and wait for couple of days. And for the badges use the regular spray paint can, at least it will look classy
Old 12-04-2012, 05:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
507 SEDAN
Mine has been painted for almost a year, does NOT need a touch up. I think that a lot of you guys underestimate the painting process. If it is done correctly, there should be relatively no issue. If it is baked and cured properly, there should be no chipping or degradation. I have had zero issues!!!!!!! Period.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:10 PM

Received 115 Likes on 70 Posts
2009 c63
Originally Posted by jordanaf
Mine has been painted for almost a year, does NOT need a touch up. I think that a lot of you guys underestimate the painting process. If it is done correctly, there should be relatively no issue. If it is baked and cured properly, there should be no chipping or degradation. I have had zero issues!!!!!!! Period.
Good to know. I'm afraid the plastidip will not look the way I want over such a large area.

How many miles have you put on since the paint? I'll do 15k/yr nearly all at highway speeds (at speed limit of course).
Old 12-05-2012, 11:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Dogtag114
(at speed limit of course).
sure....