C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

for those who blacked out your grill and badges, pls come in!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 10:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 AMG (facelift)
Exclamation for those who blacked out your grill and badges, pls come in!

hi all!
i'm new here, i have a 2012 C63 obsidian black sedan, and i wanna black out my grill, badges, and tail lights, here goes a couple of questions for you all, hope you guys can give me some advice, appreciate that!

1) about blacking out the grill, should i go get it wrapped, painted or go get a replacement?
2) about the tail lights, should i go smoke it or tint?
3)if i go black out my grill, which one do you think looks better? <a> black out the whole thing <b> black out the grill and leave the Mercedes logo chrome <c> black out the grill and leave the Mercedes logo and the horizontal bar chrome

i really appreciate that any of you can help me out here! thanks a lot!!
Old 11-30-2012, 11:33 AM

home the point
1- I used plastidip. No issues so far. However I recently replaced the grille with a laminated CF grille.
2- Don't have any experience as I left my stock. If I were to mod the tail light, I would buy a complete replacement from ebay and keep stock stock JIC.
3- Personally I dislike any kinda of chrome, so I blacked out all of it. Though since my grille is CF now, it's not flat black but glossy.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:48 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 79 Likes on 77 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by jaycdynasty
hi all!
i'm new here, i have a 2012 C63 obsidian black sedan, and i wanna black out my grill, badges, and tail lights, here goes a couple of questions for you all, hope you guys can give me some advice, appreciate that!

1) about blacking out the grill, should i go get it wrapped, painted or go get a replacement?
2) about the tail lights, should i go smoke it or tint?
3)if i go black out my grill, which one do you think looks better? <a> black out the whole thing <b> black out the grill and leave the Mercedes logo chrome <c> black out the grill and leave the Mercedes logo and the horizontal bar chrome

i really appreciate that any of you can help me out here! thanks a lot!!
Hey bud,

We went with CEC and they wrapped our C63 Black Series emblems. The car is OEM matte. We much prefer it to the stock look with the silver and it came out great.

I have seen a C63 with platsti-dip and it came out good. But we prefer knowing it was done right.

Hope these pics help!

Mike

Stock

Vossen C63 Black

We honestly don't know why its not an OEM option!
Old 11-30-2012, 12:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
2012 C63 AMG Sedan
Where is CEC located?
Old 11-30-2012, 12:49 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

AMG
Originally Posted by dboutros
Where is CEC located?
We went to the one in Miami
Old 11-30-2012, 12:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'15 VW GTI
Hey...what did you do to the orange side markers? replaced with painted markers or some kind of wrap? thx!
Old 11-30-2012, 01:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
'10 C63
if you paint the front grill, it'll likely start chipping due to rocks and debris...

i vote plastidip or wrap
Old 11-30-2012, 01:26 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

AMG
Originally Posted by Even Money
Hey...what did you do to the orange side markers? replaced with painted markers or some kind of wrap? thx!
It was painted dark....thanks
Old 11-30-2012, 02:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C63 AMG Sedan
Anyone can recommend someone to wrap the car like the pic in SoCal? I'm trying to find someone who would wrap my window trim, grill, LED DRL, and badges but with no luck.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:01 PM

2012 CLS63 AMG, 2012 Bentley Cont. GT, 2013 Cayenne Turbo
Originally Posted by Mike@Vossen
It was painted dark....thanks
what about your grills and window moldings? painted or wrapped? matte black or satin black?

Thanks!
Old 11-30-2012, 05:29 PM

C
^ +1 for that answer
Old 11-30-2012, 07:00 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
W204 C63 R171
painted to match

Old 12-01-2012, 02:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
AMG GLC63. Audi R8
Have the grill professionally wrapped (about $100). The star is PIA and the compound curves aren't much easier. Taking the grill out makes it easier. For window trim use 3M wrap. The window trim is a DYI. Just use hard plastic pry tools to pop off the upper tirm. Have some masking tape ready to hold the part in place as you move from front to rear because is one long moulding and you don't want to bend it. The lower trim lifts upwards. You have to remove the plastic end caps which might snap but are easy to replace. On the front doors you have to disconnect (but not remove) the side mirrors to get the trim off. Once they're off just have a large clean table to work on and take your time. The rubber on the lower window trim just prys off so you can get the wrap under it. Leave the rear chrome trim in place and wrap it on the car. It's major PIA to remove. Total cost about $35 including the pry tools. As far as emblems, the quick solution is plastidip, but plan on replacing it once a year as it doesn't hold up long term (that's why you shouldn't use it on the grill or window trim). Total cost less then $150.

This only works if you want to go with flat black as I have not seen 3M tape in gloss black. Painting the trim looks very nice put I'd be concerned about chipping on the grill. The wrap is near bullet proof.

Its up to you if you want to smoke your rear tail lights, but use a film so you can return to stock if needed. If you ever get hit in the rear the other driver's insurance company is going to claim their insured could not see your brake lights because of the tint and you are SOL.

Last edited by DuaneC63; 12-01-2012 at 02:42 AM.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
'12 C63 Black Series, '12 ML350 BlueTech
Originally Posted by DuaneC63
Have the grill professionally wrapped (about $100). The star is PIA and the compound curves aren't much easier. Taking the grill out makes it easier. For window trim use 3M wrap. The window trim is a DYI. Just use hard plastic pry tools to pop off the upper tirm. Have some masking tape ready to hold the part in place as you move from front to rear because is one long moulding and you don't want to bend it. The lower trim lifts upwards. You have to remove the plastic end caps which might snap but are easy to replace. On the front doors you have to disconnect (but not remove) the side mirrors to get the trim off. Once they're off just have a large clean table to work on and take your time. The rubber on the lower window trim just prys off so you can get the wrap under it. Leave the rear chrome trim in place and wrap it on the car. It's major PIA to remove. Total cost about $35 including the pry tools. As far as emblems, the quick solution is plastidip, but plan on replacing it once a year as it doesn't hold up long term (that's why you shouldn't use it on the grill or window trim). Total cost less then $150.

This only works if you want to go with flat black as I have not seen 3M tape in gloss black. Painting the trim looks very nice put I'd be concerned about chipping on the grill. The wrap is near bullet proof.

Its up to you if you want to smoke your rear tail lights, but use a film so you can return to stock if needed. If you ever get hit in the rear the other driver's insurance company is going to claim their insured could not see your brake lights because of the tint and you are SOL.

Very useful. Thx
Old 12-01-2012, 01:33 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

AMG
Originally Posted by otherotherbenz
what about your grills and window moldings? painted or wrapped? matte black or satin black?

Thanks!
Originally Posted by mvp2765
^ +1 for that answer
Everything was wrapped except the orange reflector...
Old 12-01-2012, 03:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C63 AMG Sedan
Originally Posted by DuaneC63

Thanks alot for this. Any DIY with pics or vids? I really want to do this but I am one of those owners who is extremely scared to touch anything in the car for fear of breaking it thanks to my lack of skill/experience.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:33 PM

C63 AMG (facelift)
Originally Posted by cptdaz
1- I used plastidip. No issues so far. However I recently replaced the grille with a laminated CF grille.
2- Don't have any experience as I left my stock. If I were to mod the tail light, I would buy a complete replacement from ebay and keep stock stock JIC.
3- Personally I dislike any kinda of chrome, so I blacked out all of it. Though since my grille is CF now, it's not flat black but glossy.
1- i used to spray the grill of my ex-car, but then the color came off so soon around 1-1.5 months, and i think it's quite annoying to go back to the workshop to get it painted again, actually i did that for a couple of times in 6-9 months.so do you think wraping it is a good choice?
2- about the tails, should i black out the whole thing or just leave the white part ?
Old 12-02-2012, 02:37 PM

C63 AMG (facelift)
Originally Posted by bluejae
if you paint the front grill, it'll likely start chipping due to rocks and debris...

i vote plastidip or wrap
im sorry man!actually plasti dip is not familiar in hong kong, so what's the difference between paint and plasti dip?cause i saw a video on youtube about plasti dip, it's just a spray, so why it isn't the same as paint?
Old 12-02-2012, 08:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C63 AMG Sedan
Originally Posted by jaycdynasty
im sorry man!actually plasti dip is not familiar in hong kong, so what's the difference between paint and plasti dip?cause i saw a video on youtube about plasti dip, it's just a spray, so why it isn't the same as paint?
I just bought a can to do my emblems. Plasti dip is more of a rubber coating. Think kind of like the handles of a plier but smoother.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03' CL600
+1 for plastidip.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:49 PM

C63 AMG (facelift)
I just bought a can to do my emblems. Plasti dip is more of a rubber coating. Think kind of like the handles of a plier but smoother.
so for the emblems, u vote for the plasti dip. what about the grill?actually is that plasti dip is better than wrapping it? cause the cost in hong kong of wrapping the grill is pretty expensive, it's around $350 USD
Old 12-03-2012, 02:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
AMG GLC63. Audi R8
Thanks alot for this. Any DIY with pics or vids? I really want to do this but I am one of those owners who is extremely scared to touch anything in the car for fear of breaking it thanks to my lack of skill/experience.

Tools and material

Upper door trim clip

Upper door trim clip

Lower door trim being lifted up

Final Result

Rear chrome strip.

Remember on the upper trim to slide the hard plastic pry tool forward until you feel the clip, then gently pop the trim off. The lower trim lifts up easiest from front to back. Front mirrors have two little screws under the speaker grill that just pops out. Just tape them so they don't go banging against your doors. Take your time with the tape. It's easy to work with. Have a credit card handy to smooth out any bubbles. Also a fine needle you can pop them and they will lie flat with no hole to see. The main thing is to have a very smooth large clean surface (like a glass dinning table) to work on.

Last edited by DuaneC63; 12-03-2012 at 03:06 AM.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:38 AM

2012 C63 Sedan, Magnetite Black
Hey buddy, see my thread here

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...t-removal.html
Old 12-03-2012, 10:16 AM

C63 AMG (facelift)
so guys all of you prefer i go for the plasti dip?but will it be chipping due to rocks and debris?
Old 12-03-2012, 11:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
507 SEDAN
I had my grille professionally painted. It was a superior job done by my body shop. It is the third grille I have painted, three different cars.

My current 63, it's been painted for a year now. I drive mostly highway miles on a rough stretch of highway, between Austin,TX and Houston, Tx, HWY 71 to IH-10. My grille has help up beautifully, I have yet to have a chip or mark, and follow 18 wheelers dropping debris all the time. It was painted with two layers, baked, then dried. I cannot speak enough to vote for and recommend the everyone paint. Just my experience and 2 cents, though.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: for those who blacked out your grill and badges, pls come in!