C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

First time in the snow

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 04:31 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63AMG, NIssan NX2000, Pontiac Fiero GT
Perhaps in the real north (Canada) people are more forgiving of corrosion due to the conditions. I retrieved a car ( not C 63) from Chicago that saw 3 winters and will never do it again. The car should be driven, that's for sure. Actually the road salt is less of a risk than hard (track days) or drag racing to the wellness of a used car. I probably would not buy a used C63. We do not salt the roads in WA and Portland is just starting it. What do the Germans do?
Old 12-03-2012, 12:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 C63 w/APX
Originally Posted by rage2
Nope, that's my summer car.

Of course, if you don't maintain your car, it's going to look like crap. Wash your car weekly, detail it after winter, and it'll be no different than a car that's not winter driven.
I'm of the same mind. Washing frequently is the best remedy. I buy the petro Canada 90 day car wash pass and wash my cars 3-4 times a week.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:42 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
W204 C63 R171
The day I brought it home for the first time

SLK is far better winter car
Old 12-03-2012, 01:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W205 C63S E.1
Originally Posted by Merc63
Or get a winter vehicle lol. 500hp RWD is not winter friendly. .
totally agree. I had to tow my car outside Yosemite National Park, I was drifting all the way to the nearest gas station.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
FF. W212 E63 M156 non-pano 18" P2 ParkT NightV (gone but will be missed).
A full wash is not even necessary. As long as you hose it down well and frequently, it will be fine. The major concentration will be the undercarriage and the wheels and wheel wells along with all the crevices where the sheetmetals meet. Having a good hose head attachment and own driveway will be easy. I have both and I also have water softner so little water residual is left.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:01 AM

2008 C63 AMG
My C63 will probably never ever see snow... because I live in the south...

70+ degrees and short sleeves during December... WHAT UP?!?!?

Old 12-05-2012, 02:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
Nope, that's my summer car.

Well said. ESP Sport is the minimum for winter driving in the C63. Too much intervention with ESP on. Winter tires are a must. Studded tires will feel like driving in the rain.

That's always been the myth. I swap cars on an average of once or twice a year, so I've had a lot of experience in the used market. Thing is, selling a car in ANY area with winter roads, salt, etc. and you'll have a lower resale value because it's assumed that it's winter driven. You can plaster your ads with never winter driven, and it won't make a difference, you're not going to get any more money selling a car that gets parked in the winter. If anything, you'll get more money selling a car with an extra set of winter wheels and tires.

Of course, if you don't maintain your car, it's going to look like crap. Wash your car weekly, detail it after winter, and it'll be no different than a car that's not winter driven.
I respectfully disagree rage. My first C63 bought new, I never drove it in the winter and it looked brand new 3 years later. The paint and headlights were flawless.

My second C63 is only 2 years old, winter driven and there is tiny rock chips everywhere. The paint is in no where the condition of my new one. Also the head lights have pits all over them.

Id pay more for a car that wasn't winter driven. The salt, the cold, the rocks and sand, it gives a car a beating.

My partner has a C63 and just called me, said he was cruising down the freeway with ESP on and cruise control and the back end started fish tailing all over the road at 80+. He says its the worst car hes ever drove in the winter and makes him nervous every time he gets in it. BTW, he has good winter tires on it.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well, remember there is warning all over the place about not using cruise control on slick surface, especially wintry road surface.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
2010 C63 AMG, 2009 ISF , 2002 L-Tuned IS300, 2011 ML350
I agree with Merc, I would be willing to pay more for a car that has not been winter driven, at least in my area as winter here is pretty harsh.

I respectfully disagree rage. My first C63 bought new, I never drove it in the winter and it looked brand new 3 years later. The paint and headlights were flawless.

My second C63 is only 2 years old, winter driven and there is tiny rock chips everywhere. The paint is in no where the condition of my new one. Also the head lights have pits all over them.

Id pay more for a car that wasn't winter driven. The salt, the cold, the rocks and sand, it gives a car a beating.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,572 Likes on 925 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
Seems quite a few wear either of the below in this thread...

Old 12-06-2012, 12:01 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
W204 C63 R171
You never really have heard the bark of the AMG engine until its in subzero temperatures I think between -1 to -5 is the butter zone on a cold start while is warming up is glorious
Old 12-06-2012, 10:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG 2002, C 63 AMG 2009
I ran "Studded" Hannoks for 4 years in Idaho on my C32, great tires. The C63 has not had the pleasure of snow No snow here in Texas
Old 12-06-2012, 10:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts
C63 BS, GLA45

I think the biggest difference is that I 3M all my cars. Headlights gets film wrapped too, so yea, that protects the paint from all the crap. You're right though, without paint protection film, winter driving will destroy a car's paint.

Originally Posted by Roswell
I agree with Merc, I would be willing to pay more for a car that has not been winter driven, at least in my area as winter here is pretty harsh.
Yea, I would too. Problem is, most people aren't us, and when it comes to sell the car, you'll be waiting a long time for someone like us to come along.

My partner has a C63 and just called me, said he was cruising down the freeway with ESP on and cruise control and the back end started fish tailing all over the road at 80+. He says its the worst car hes ever drove in the winter and makes him nervous every time he gets in it. BTW, he has good winter tires on it.
I dunno what to say, I've had the worst of days on the worst winter tires for icy conditions on my C63 back then (IceBear W300's), and never had a problem. Those weeks in the -30's, black ice everywhere, drove everywhere fine. I'll just have to blame Edmonton for that one...
Old 12-06-2012, 01:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'16 GTS Solar
I have blizzaks and it has handled well enough the past 2 years, but I wouldn't consider anything about driving this car in the snow fun. It's one reason why I'm looking into trading into an Audi before the NYC winter hits.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:34 PM

2011 Range Rover Sport SC
I've never been afraid to drive any of my cars in the winter, and I'm solidly of the mind that a vehicle is meant to be driven.

If you're so focused on what the resale value of your car is, then start shopping for a Camry or Accord. The resale market on ANY C63 is shiite anyway, largely due to the perception that it will have been driven like a hooligan most of it's life.

Enjoy the $85K car, and get your $85K worth out of it. Whatever you get when you go to sell it, is gravy. I could drive my Range Rover in the winter....it's a $114K car (and an even bigger target for stones!)....which is worse? Though the Range Rover (on all-seasons though) is pretty good on slippery roads.

I, for one, had a good time on the way home from work last Friday with all the snow. And given that I've been living in the Cote d'Azur for the past several years, it was my first real winter driving experience for awhile. Fun, actually. And I'll admit it was the braking that took more adjustment, than the power; it stops quite well. And yes, I have proper winter tires on my C63.

It's a depreciating, disposable item. Take good care of it, but let's be realistic....it's not a rare or precious gem by any means. And I've honestly had more paint damage done in the summer as opposed to the winter, largely due to debris falling off trucks in other lanes, stones on the road, etc.

It's a car, and to be brutally honest, not a very exclusive one at that.

And if you live in Calgary.....public transit is apparently not a very competitive options.

Patrick
Old 12-07-2012, 02:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Patrick B
I've never been afraid to drive any of my cars in the winter, and I'm solidly of the mind that a vehicle is meant to be driven.

If you're so focused on what the resale value of your car is, then start shopping for a Camry or Accord.

It's a depreciating, disposable item. Take good care of it, but let's be realistic....it's not a rare or precious gem by any means.

It's a car, and to be brutally honest, not a very exclusive one at that.

Patrick
+1 Well said!
Old 12-07-2012, 09:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts
C63 BS, GLA45
Originally Posted by Patrick B
And if you live in Calgary.....public transit is apparently not a very competitive options.

2 more days...
Old 12-07-2012, 09:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

my wife bananas! :D

2 more days...
Have been checking out your blog Good cause and great idea.

Now tell me, how many times did you think to call in sick?

My 15 minute drive commute would be a 2 hr public system journey so I can't even attempt that if I wanted to lol
Old 12-15-2012, 02:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63AMG, NIssan NX2000, Pontiac Fiero GT
They should be driven, but sorry, you cannot rinse away all the salt corrosion. It swirls up into all the openings to the level of the underhood. You would need a lift and 15 minutes of fresh water spray to undo the worst 75% damage. The other 25% would feast. We drive the C63 year round with plastsic covering. No major damage and paint looks new . If they salted I would not drive it winters. (The roads here are not gravel)

Last edited by motoman; 12-15-2012 at 02:26 PM.