C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Not Another Headbolt Coolant Issue!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 GTR/2010 C63
Not Another Headbolt Coolant Issue!

So after several weeks of being plagued with the CEL P0171 (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...us-airbox.html) which I finally was able to resolve, I ended up getting hit with the headbolt coolant issue.

It started one cold morning with the Check Coolant message. Before I drive off, I check under the hood and notice the coolant level was about 3 inches below the line. I drive to the nearest shop and have the coolant topped off.

By the end of the day, i get the message again on my commute home. I pull over and check under the hood and to my surprise, the reservoir is completely empty. Thank god for AAA roadside service as they were able to top off practically a full gallon of coolant.

I make it home and planned on calling my warranty (3rd party) to schedule a drop off at MB first thing in the morning.

Fast forward:
Once at MB, they first notice a strong odor of collant coming from the driver side bay. They topped off the coolant and ran idle for 10min at which point the reservoir was completely empty. After further diagnostics it was determined that there was compression loss in piston#8, pointing to a possible head gasket leak and/or headbolt issue.

As of last week, I got my car back and its running beautifully. It feels stronger then ever.

The invoice notes read as followed:
53041 Cylinder head bolt broken. Coolant/oil mix 18.10 Inspect cooling system for leaks, no external oil loss found. Inspect for combustion gasses in cooling system. Failed test. RR cylinder head covers for inspection, found left cylinder head bolt broken, leaking coolant. RR camshafts, all. Replaced all lifters. RR bolt cylinder heads and replace headbolts with improved version. reassemble with new thermostat and rear intake pipe. road test 60 miles and re change engine oil to remove traces of coolant in engine. clear fault memory, ok after repairs.

Thankfully I was smart enough to purchase the extended warranty as my car is an 09 c63 with 45k miles on it at the time of purchase, so everything was covered.

Several things to note. The coolant problem appeared at about 52k miles and one thing I did notice a day prior to this failure was a sluggish/hesitant response to the throttle.

I hope this doesnt happen to anyone else...thanks for the ear everyone....

Last edited by sfury63; 01-26-2013 at 02:59 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2009 C63
Im hoping they changed the bolts on the passenger side too? What warranty do you have?
Old 01-26-2013, 03:21 PM

2012 GTR/2010 C63
Originally Posted by BerBer63
Im hoping they changed the bolts on the passenger side too? What warranty do you have?

Good question - the invoice shows a unit count of 20 part# 156-016-07-69 Cylinder Headbolt so it would appear they did.

Extended warranty was thru carmax's MaxCare Warranty.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
Sorry this happened, but I'm glad you caught it early. Thanks for the detailed documentation too. It'll help us keep our eyes peeled for the signs.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
FF. W212 E63 M156 non-pano 18" P2 ParkT NightV (gone but will be missed).
Yes, an extended warranty is a must for this type of cars. Your car must have just run out of its factory warranty not too long ago.

How long does CarMax's MaxCare Warranty last (miles & months)? How much did the MaxCare Warranty cost you?

So what's the final total bill amount from MB for this repair? How long was your car at MB?
Old 01-29-2013, 02:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 81 Posts
C63 AMG
sfury63 - i'm putting your thread in the sticky - keep us posted and best of luck...
Old 01-29-2013, 04:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
'08 C63 Estate
Good thing you had the extended warranty.
Does it say how much the repair cost?
Old 01-29-2013, 08:11 AM

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
2020 AMG GTR
every time someone posts about this our resale and trade in values drop. good thinking. :-(
Old 01-29-2013, 09:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
Headbolt issue or not I love my C63 and am keeping it until all time. Just think of how many problems Range Rover and Maserati have...if it happens, SO WHAT. Not a big deal. You get the bolts replaced and move on. The car is a BEAST...

Disclaimer: Make sure you have warranty or set aside funds.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63, C55 (Sold)
Just out of curiosity: What were the total charges for the repair?
Old 01-29-2013, 03:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 81 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
every time someone posts about this our resale and trade in values drop. good thinking. :-(
Try putting the blame where it belongs - with M-B. I'm no happier than you are about this situation but even at a minimum, being informed about the problem likely prevents a $4k job from turning into a $35k job.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:18 AM

2012 GTR/2010 C63
Originally Posted by otakki
Yes, an extended warranty is a must for this type of cars. Your car must have just run out of its factory warranty not too long ago.

How long does CarMax's MaxCare Warranty last (miles & months)? How much did the MaxCare Warranty cost you?

So what's the final total bill amount from MB for this repair? How long was your car at MB?

Purchased the extended for 2800 which includes 72month or 100k miles(from the date and mileage of my purchase). At that price and considering this car, it was a no brainer.

Looking at the MB service invoice, the total came out to 7,138.00 which I though would be much higher.

One thing is for sure, I'm glad it's over and done with. I always had a lingering worry about the headbolt issue and how my warranty would handle it but now that its over with, I enjoy my ride that much more.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

my wife bananas! :D
Originally Posted by sfury63
Purchased the extended for 2800 which includes 72month or 100k miles(from the date and mileage of my purchase). At that price and considering this car, it was a no brainer.

Looking at the MB service invoice, the total came out to 7,138.00 which I though would be much higher.

One thing is for sure, I'm glad it's over and done with. I always had a lingering worry about the headbolt issue and how my warranty would handle it but now that its over with, I enjoy my ride that much more.
awesome man!

I bought ELW for my car and also hoping that if I do have the headbolt issue, it will happen within my warranty period
Old 01-30-2013, 01:30 AM

2020 AMG GTR
Originally Posted by bhamg
Try putting the blame where it belongs - with M-B. I'm no happier than you are about this situation but even at a minimum, being informed about the problem likely prevents a $4k job from turning into a $35k job.

lol. blame? that's exactly what's wrong with today's society. someone needs to be blamed. that's not what I am saying at all. we, nor mb, can change the fact that their SUPPLIER screwed up the head bolts.....what, you think a car manuf forges their own bolts???? no.... all we have control over is our own thoughts and actions. that's all I am saying. you can't change the past, neither can mb. they are handling it exactly as any other manuf would. warranty or goodwill. btw, no goodwill coverage is 100%. then it wouldn't be goodwill, it would be warranty, which they said already expired. then they get sued for secret warranty.

it came out cheaper because it was warranty pricing, not customer pay pricing. warranty companies and manuf really lowball the dealer on warranty work. usually it takes longer to do the job than the labor hours they get paid.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG

I think it wasn't higher because you caught it early enough. Fluids were leaking, but little or no engine damage had occurred yet. The first folks who made the discovery had catastrophic engine failures.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Porsche 911 Turbo S 2014! E63S 14, Audi S8 13, CLS63 12, E550 12, C63 09, all tuned
Replacing one head bolt at a time?

Can someone tell me why replacing one head bolt at a time would work???
This would be cheapest way.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:43 AM

C63 AMG
Each time I see this, it scares me. I've an 08 C63 with 40,000 miles on it. It seems like I'm a sitting duck and it's only a matter of time before my car bankrupts me
Old 01-31-2013, 07:45 AM

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Karl901
I don't believe the headbolts are the expensive parts. I believe the headbolts themselves are very cheap. It's getting at them that is very labour intensive so best do them all at once.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:05 AM

2020 AMG GTR
Originally Posted by Karl901
why it would or would not work?

it won't work because heads mating to blocks is a sensitive process. the bolts have to be torqued down in a specific order in incremental step or you will not get a proper seal.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
why it would or would not work?

it won't work because heads mating to blocks is a sensitive process. the bolts have to be torqued down in a specific order in incremental step or you will not get a proper seal.
+1 Plus why even waste your time only for one just upgrade all at once....
Old 01-31-2013, 05:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
(a)'12 C63 P/P, LSD, 19" m/spoke,comfort pack. (b)Astra SRI.
Question

"One at a time"?....NO WAY.
Heads off, check head surface,new gaskets, new bolts.
Cheers, Pickles.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
lol. blame? that's exactly what's wrong with today's society. someone needs to be blamed. that's not what I am saying at all. we, nor mb, can change the fact that their SUPPLIER screwed up the head bolts.....what, you think a car manuf forges their own bolts???? no.... all we have control over is our own thoughts and actions. that's all I am saying. you can't change the past, neither can mb. they are handling it exactly as any other manuf would. warranty or goodwill. btw, no goodwill coverage is 100%. then it wouldn't be goodwill, it would be warranty, which they said already expired. then they get sued for secret warranty.
I'd still blame MB because they are the one that put the product out and are responsible for it. The right thing for MB and for longterm goodwill with the brand is to extend the engine warranty on all units affected. For example, I just received notice from Acura that their supplier of AC compressors put out an inferior product and have failures occuring. Guess what? They extended the warranty on the compressors for severral more years and will reimburse people who have paid to have their compressors replaced post warranty. That is stepping up and putting confidence in the brand.

OP: Did they also install the upgraded "SLS" lifters?

Last edited by Sincity; 01-31-2013 at 05:52 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Sincity
I'd still blame MB because they are the one that put the product out and are responsible for it. The right thing for MB and for longterm goodwill with the brand is to extend the engine warranty on all units affected. For example, I just received notice from Acura that their supplier of AC compressors put out an inferior product and have failures occuring. Guess what? They extended the warranty on the compressors for severral more years and will reimburse people who have paid to have their compressors replaced post warranty. That is stepping up and putting confidence in the brand.
I agree.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:58 PM

2020 AMG GTR
Originally Posted by Sincity

OP: Did they also install the upgraded "SLS" lifters?
one example doesn't mean anything.

it's purely a business decision on a manuf part. for you though, it's emotional. big difference.

Acura made a business decision to replace compressors. Acura makes business decisions all the time to not fix certain things.

mb makes the same decisions. so does Chevy and so does Bugatti.

don't take business so personal. yes, it affects us. it may affect me one day soon. I won't change my opinion on the matter though. it's a car, not my father or mother or sister or brother. it's just a car.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
one example doesn't mean anything.

it's purely a business decision on a manuf part. for you though, it's emotional. big difference.

Acura made a business decision to replace compressors. Acura makes business decisions all the time to not fix certain things.

mb makes the same decisions. so does Chevy and so does Bugatti.

don't take business so personal. yes, it affects us. it may affect me one day soon. I won't change my opinion on the matter though. it's a car, not my father or mother or sister or brother. it's just a car.
Even if you take the emotional attachment out of it, it's still poor business. For a luxury brand with racing pedigree to not make any sort of formal concession for a known issue, it's like saying "who cares?" to you loyal customers. You might expect normal stuff to crap out or break, not an engine. Germans have always produced and been proud of their bulletproof engines. So why shy away from taking responsibility here?

We just want things to work as they should for how long they reasonably should. It's the principle of the matter. Sure, the chances of this happening is remote, so then why try to dodge a warranty concession? If its just a handful, then why not eat the full cost if it isn't a result of driver error/abuse regardless of warranty?

Is this sort of issue common among MB competitors? Should we expect this from MB from now on? If you answered "no" (and you should), then you're on the same side.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Not Another Headbolt Coolant Issue!