Sponsored by:

GT-R or C63?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 07:45 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
1998 C43, 2017 Honda Accord Sport
Originally Posted by e55 addict
I will put it to you this way. I traded in my 09 C63 Sedan for a 2010 GTR Premium.....2 months later the GTR was modded out of dd usability and I bought back my old C63 for everyday use. If you really like modding and messing with cars and doing data logs on a tuner and such, then the GTR is awesome. If you are the type that just likes to drive and not be constantly messing around with mods and installs the C63 is the only choice, but if you are going to shell out the $$$ for a GTR just go ahead and find a lightly used C63 Black Series and call it a day. Its the best car I have ever owned.

Now this is the kind of advice I'm looking for!

I like to mod cars, but then again, sometimes I just like to hop in and go without any hassle. I bounce between the two "moods" a lot (certainly not helping my decision. haha).

Originally Posted by emericr
Vic is the guy that has a C63BS and a modded GTR. Do a search or send him a pm.
My 2c. 2 different animals. One is a scalpel that that takes no prisoners with a lot of computer nannies, the other one is a hammer that loves to drift and puts a smile on your face.
Both are phenomenal cars but go at it a different way. If you have driven both of them hard, you should know by now which one you want.
Vic, eh? I'll shoot him a PM. Thanks!

And surprisingly, I don't know which one I want! The GT-R put a bigger smile on my face, the driving experience was better (smoother, more natural) in the C63---it was like an extension of myself, and both equally broke necks when I drove them.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 Range Rover Sport SC
Honestly, I think they are two completely different cars with distinct personalities.

I've driven a GT-R, but I've never owned one, though I've been toying with the idea of buying one for several months now. I've held back on buying one for a number of reasons, though the Nissan badge isn't one of them.

I'm probably a little less of a brand-***** than most, though that's partly due to living in Europe where a Mercedes-Benz is one of the most common taxis on the road (in fact, probably 75% of the taxis in France and Germany are M-B, Audi or BMW). Most of the transport trucks are M-B, and most of the garbage trucks are M-B. So while I still appreciate the quality of the three-pointed star, it doesn't have the same brand exclusivity in Europe as it does in North America. This is partly because they're simply more cost-effective in Europe, and partly because they're like the domestic brand (much like GM, Ford and Chrysler in North America).

For me personally, unless brand is a big issue to you, I'd take it out of the equation. If brand IS a big issue, then go M-B.

Prior to 2012, the GT-Rs were pretty rough to drive on the street on a regular basis. Recently I believe they've added in some suspension adjustments to make them quite livable as a daily-driver. If you're comparing 2013 models, then I'd say drivability on a day to day basis is probably equal.

If you're at all interested in a car to take to the track (ie, road-course) on a somewhat regular basis, then the GT-R is the better weapon. A C63BS is probably somewhat competitive, but the standard C63 (with with PP) is probably out-classed as a pure, road-course track weapon.

That being said, Nissan apparently has some strict rules about using the GT-R on the track. This is second-hand, but I've heard stories about $3,000 maintenance programs for every track weekend you attend (servicing of the differentials etc). Apparently Nissan will honour the warranty for anything that goes wrong on the track, but you have to fork out the $3K in order to get the car inspected pre and post track weekend. No confirmation of this, but that would tend to drive the cost of ownership up quite a bit.

A stock C63 is probably mostly ready for track duty, except for the cooling issues that are commonly noted, as well as the requirement for better pads and probably stainless steel braided lines. It could also use more rubber, but honestly that lends to some of the fun.

As to the styling of the car, it's largely up to personal tastes. For myself, I think the C63 Coupe is a good looking car, but not a great-looking car; the sedan is much better looking. I also think the C63BS is a great looking car; the standard Coupe could use some of the aggressive appearance of the Black Series.

The GT-R, on the other hand, is still good-looking, but from the eyes of a 13 year old drawing his dream car. It's function over form, and while it's not ugly, and in fact can be good looking in the right view....it's not a real head-turner.

The GT-R will win in the exclusivity race though....I see more C63s on the road than I do GT-Rs. That's probably largely due to the $30K price delta.

So, quick cheat sheet:

Daily livability: Tie.

Brand value (in North America): C63.

Exclusivity: GT-R, largely because it won't be mistaken for anything else. A stock C63 coupe doesn't look massively different than a C350 Coupe, which is unfortunate. And far too many people say the C-Class coupe looks like a Honda Accord Coupe.

Track-Day Suitability: GT-R, but $$$ to maintain warranty.

Grin factor: Tie, but I'd give a slight edge to the C63. I light up from ear to ear every time I start mine or stomp on the throttle.

Police Factor: Tie. Both cars encourage me to drive in a manner that's not strongly encouraged on public roads.

Long term viability: C63. The engine is basically bullet-proof, it's a well sorted chassis, and it's not overly complicated to operate or repair / modify. The GT-R is wildly complex under the hood, and while it's not hard to get more grunt out of it, I'd be very, very leery of a GT-R that's off warranty. An out-of-warranty C63 wouldn't really concern me all that much.

Personally, I prefer to drive my cars, rather than have them doing the driving for me (and I still wish M-B built a C63 with a proper 3-pedal manual....). The GT-R is fully capable of making an ordinary driver look like a star, while the C63 can make a good driver look like a clown.

The GT-R is faster; the C63 is more pure fun.

Patrick
Old 02-17-2013, 03:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 107 Likes on 75 Posts
2018 AMG GTR, 2017 GLS63, 2019 C63s
I have both and I really like Patrick B's post. Very objective and balanced. It's a tough call. Gtr has a strict policy on modifying. It basically voids the warranty if you do a flash tune. There is a very strong data logging system available to nissan to sniff out modifications and nissan lurks the boards to recognize modded cars. On the other hand the 2012-14 have huge performance upgrades compare to older models. So if you get a 2010, it will be under warranty enough to cover any issues the car came with and then you can modify since it will be out of warranty. Or a new model and keep stock to keep warranty viable. Nissan has no problem with tracking but requires you to change fluids and do maintenance after every track event and the fluids are $$$. Nissan will know if your trans oil temp went past a level that requires a change and if you don't change, then you forfeit warranty. Hope that made sense.

Gtr is a fun car to drive compare to C63. I disagree with people who say it has no class or soul, or that it drives for you. It's made to keep it together and make its driver look good, but you can edge its limit and test your skills like any other car. During normal driving turbo lag is noticeable when you get on it first and it is not exactly a musical instrument. On a long drive it can be tiring. Gtr is still a nissan and its interior reminds you of that from time to time, but its not "plasticky" as it has stitched cheap leather on the dash instead of actual plastic dash like the C.

C63 has a certain type of command and confidence when you drive it that you don't get from the gtr. It's the availability of torque without relying on turbos and it's the big displacement. C63 is more like a normal car in terms of maintenance with the exception of rear tire wear. MB does not make you sign extra docs that limits your ability to modify nor does it sniff mods in your car unless a warranty claim is directly related to your mod. You are probably more familiar with MB's warranty anyway.

Gtr is a super car. It gives you exotic performance at half the price. It is the fastest 0-40 car in the world and only veyron and 911 turbo rival its 0-60 numbers. Are these important to you?
C63 is a blast everyday. You can listen to it; you can drift it; you can drive the crap out of it one minute and behave like a gentleman the next without anyone noticing. Also actual humans can sit in its back seat. It gives you a great taste of speed and it is a day to day practical as any. I think C is a proper daily driver, but I can't say the same about gtr. For me gtr is a great second car. If I only had a gtr, I would probably look into getting a Tacoma, accord, element or tl for practical purposes. I find myself driving the gtr more because its new, but in a few months, I think I'll be driving both equally.

Hope this helped.

Last edited by cyberorth; 02-17-2013 at 03:50 AM.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:05 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,399 Likes on 2,844 Posts
2012 CLS63
guess you have to ask yourself "do I want an ugly *** Nissan......or a classy *** MB?"

seems obvious.....but then again, you might be very young
Old 02-17-2013, 10:12 AM

2010 CL550 loaded
Originally Posted by hyperion667
guess you have to ask yourself "do I want an ugly *** Nissan......or a classy *** MB?"

seems obvious.....but then again, you might be very young
Silly comment.
Resale GTR all the way.
Couldn't find my Classy *** C63 coupe in crowded parking lot. Looked like honda -Kia - no way to tell them apart. Just sayin.
I sold a GTR to buy a C63 Coupe.
My advise is buy the C63 first ---then the GTR
When you do it like I did the C63 speed wise feels like a dog.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by cyberorth
...Nissan has no problem with tracking but requires you to change fluids and do maintenance after every track event and the fluids are $$$. Nissan will know if your trans oil temp went past a level that requires a change and if you don't change, then you forfeit warranty...

...On a long drive it can be tiring...

...I think C is a proper daily driver, but I can't say the same about gtr. For me gtr is a great second car...

Originally Posted by F355C5
...My advise is buy the C63 first ---then the GTR
These are the responses I'm looking for!

I appreciate all of the input (granted this board is biased, but that's ok ). I think I'll pick up the C63 first. Now to tell my friend at the dealer to keep his eye out for a Steel Grey or Lunar Blue coupe with the Porcelain interior. (I'd be buying used....can't justify paying new for any car).

Now the waiting game begins.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:35 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2011 GLK 350, 2013 GT-R, & 2013 RAM 1500
importfan21, feel free to PM me. Happy to share my first-hand experiences coming from a new and then modded 2010 C63 to a new and then modded 2013 GT-R.

Both are excellent cars for the money. Like most have said--the cars are very, very different and it really all boils down to what you find important in a vehicle.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:38 PM

2013 Nissan GT-R BE
I think only Rock and I here can really answer this question as we both have both. Here are some of my question for you:

1, do you need AWD?
2, is price / rebate / trunk money a factor for you.
3, will this be your daily? My GT-R is my only car and daily, and I have no issues with it on the **** poor streets of Pittsburgh.
4, is your dealership experience good? This one factor can make or break any car ownership experience.
5, do you mod? From your sig sounds like you do.
6, how long do you plan on keeping it? The NA 6.2 W204 is on its last leg and the GT-R is about its mid cycle.
7, is insurance a factor? Mine doubled switched from my old C63 to the GT-R.

Sheep
Old 02-17-2013, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Sheep
I think only Rock and I here can really answer this question as we both have both. Here are some of my question for you:

1, do you need AWD?
2, is price / rebate / trunk money a factor for you.
3, will this be your daily? My GT-R is my only car and daily, and I have no issues with it on the **** poor streets of Pittsburgh.
4, is your dealership experience good? This one factor can make or break any car ownership experience.
5, do you mod? From your sig sounds like you do.
6, how long do you plan on keeping it? The NA 6.2 W204 is on its last leg and the GT-R is about its mid cycle.
7, is insurance a factor? Mine doubled switched from my old C63 to the GT-R.

Sheep
1. Most people say I would need it (live in the DC metro area; it snows here a fair amount). However, I've owned RWD cars my whole life and I get by in the snow just fine...just need some patience and caution.
2. Price is a factor for me (yes, I know the C63 is the cheaper option )
3. It would be my daily. I will either put the C43 in storage or sell it.
4. I have fantastic dealership experience. I know people who work at both Mercedes and Nissan (I know people at multiple dealers in the area for both).
5. I have modded, and still do, but I think I'm getting "tired" of it. I just want to buy a car that's pretty much "done" from the get-go and just slap some new wheels and some carbon fiber pieces on, and call it a day.
6. Whichever I get, I plan to keep it until it's run into the ground.
7. Insurance is a wildcard. I've been quoted $1k/yr for full coverage for an E63, $3k/yr for a C63. I haven't been quoted for a GT-R yet. (Clean record, 23 y/o)
Old 02-17-2013, 07:07 PM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
You have my PM... yes I had my GTR back in 2009 and yes its super modded and yes I have a Black Series not a normal C63 but you have my response as you asked for.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:37 PM

2013 Nissan GT-R BE
Originally Posted by importfan21
1. Most people say I would need it (live in the DC metro area; it snows here a fair amount). However, I've owned RWD cars my whole life and I get by in the snow just fine...just need some patience and caution.
2. Price is a factor for me (yes, I know the C63 is the cheaper option )
3. It would be my daily. I will either put the C43 in storage or sell it.
4. I have fantastic dealership experience. I know people who work at both Mercedes and Nissan (I know people at multiple dealers in the area for both).
5. I have modded, and still do, but I think I'm getting "tired" of it. I just want to buy a car that's pretty much "done" from the get-go and just slap some new wheels and some carbon fiber pieces on, and call it a day.
6. Whichever I get, I plan to keep it until it's run into the ground.
7. Insurance is a wildcard. I've been quoted $1k/yr for full coverage for an E63, $3k/yr for a C63. I haven't been quoted for a GT-R yet. (Clean record, 23 y/o)
Ok, so AWD/RWD won't be a factor for you, but I would suggest you to wait until June-Aug to see if Mercedes will offer trunk money discount again. If that happens then you can bring a loaded C63 down to 75-70k. However, if you are getting a quote for 3k a year for a C63 already, then I will not be surprised to see a 5k quote for a new GT-R. Either way I will suggest you to sell the C43 as that will give you less debt. Also, the wheel/tire cost for a GT-R is double that of a C63. Hope this helps.

Sheep
Old 02-17-2013, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Sheep
Ok, so AWD/RWD won't be a factor for you, but I would suggest you to wait until June-Aug to see if Mercedes will offer trunk money discount again. If that happens then you can bring a loaded C63 down to 75-70k. However, if you are getting a quote for 3k a year for a C63 already, then I will not be surprised to see a 5k quote for a new GT-R. Either way I will suggest you to sell the C43 as that will give you less debt. Also, the wheel/tire cost for a GT-R is double that of a C63. Hope this helps.

Sheep
Hrm, then I will keep an eye out in June-Aug.

Wheel/tire cost is DOUBLE for a GT-R? Good lawd! I go through tires like crazy so that will make me go broke.

The choice is looking more and more like a C63...
Old 02-18-2013, 12:07 AM

2013 Nissan GT-R BE
Originally Posted by importfan21
Hrm, then I will keep an eye out in June-Aug.

Wheel/tire cost is DOUBLE for a GT-R? Good lawd! I go through tires like crazy so that will make me go broke.

The choice is looking more and more like a C63...
Yeah, I was on tirerack shopping for wheels and tires, and the prices are crazy... Just go there and check it out yourself.

Sheep
Old 02-18-2013, 02:31 AM

2012 C63 coupe P31/LSD
I have had both.
A stock GTR is quiet and not as exciting and as loud as c63 in normal driving style.
If you plan on modding, then GTR is great.
GTR is faster and has tremoundously more grip.
GTR is more expensive and needs more maintenance.
Maintenance is costly.
Dealer support is poor and low quality vs merc.
Interior quality is better in merc. But both rattle.
Both are livable as dd but GTR is somewhat stiffer.
GTR is out pricing itself out of this league.
If you HAVE to win races, get the GTR.
If you want to be entertained at lower speeds and get sideways for fun,
hen c63. For the price of a new GTR, I'd get a used blak series
......And mod it
Old 02-18-2013, 07:26 AM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
Silly comment.
Resale GTR all the way.
Couldn't find my Classy *** C63 coupe in crowded parking lot. Looked like honda -Kia - no way to tell them apart. Just sayin.
I sold a GTR to buy a C63 Coupe.
My advise is buy the C63 first ---then the GTR
if it's so silly then why mock me?
just sayin'
Old 02-18-2013, 08:06 AM

2010 CL550 loaded
Originally Posted by hyperion667
if it's so silly then why mock me?
just sayin'
Didn't think you knew it was silly!!
It sure wasn't helpfull.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:44 AM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
Didn't think you knew it was silly!!
It sure wasn't helpfull.
so whom are you trying to help?
Old 02-18-2013, 01:13 PM

2012 C63 coupe P31/LSD
In 2 years and about 30k miles I went through 3 sets of tires and two sets of rotors on my GTR.
Dealer quoted me $8k for the brakes, but I did it for less through Lucent.
Like others have said, Gtr tires are more expensive than tires for the c63.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
If I had no kids or wife and had to get one or the other, I'd get the GT-R and keep it stock just to keep your out of pocket costs down. With that said, the regular maintenance is not inexpensive, though.

If you had a wife and kids...then the C63...good performance with decent DD abilities.

The GT-R isn't "pretty" but it is mean and purposeful looking...I wouldn't go as far as it being an "ugly *** Nissan" though...it has a presence because it isn't a car that is readily seen and it really doesn't look like anything on the road right now.

The C63 is definitely a sleeper and will blend in with the crowd more...if you want show then work towards the BS.

I think you would have fun in either one...
Old 02-18-2013, 02:33 PM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
aahhhh, I'm jusy saying.....

maybe ugly **** is strong........not an attractive car, especially sitting next to
an MB....
but hey, just one opinion......guess I'm a bit sided with MB
Old 02-18-2013, 02:49 PM

2010 C63
The GTR is a beautiful car on paper. Would never care much to own one, personally I'd go the extra mile for a full on super car. The C63 responds amazingly to tune, etc.. different animal though.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

my wife bananas! :D
i actually quite like the GTR look. The designer said he modeled it after Gundams and since I grew up playing with Gundams, the styling quite appeals to me.

both cars look great in their own way imo... everytime I open my garage door, i have a smile on my face. Smile when I turn the beast on, and even smile when I'm busting my rear end shoveling all that snow off my driveway and look into my garage to see the back profile of my c63.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:48 AM
RL1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AMG C63 Affalterbach Edition
i was seriously thinking of the GT-R but after test driving it around a racetrack, i lost interest..i came away agreeing with that often heard criticism that it is "too technical"..granted, i drove it back to back with an AMG SLS, 911 Turbo S, and 430 Scuderia, all of which are more visceral, but still.

RL
Old 02-19-2013, 02:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 C63 Sedan White on Black
two different personalities
the C is definitely a better car for DD, the torque and sound are great on highway
for the road the power is def more than enough and RWD cars are more fun too
the downside is fuel consumption and tire money
Old 02-19-2013, 12:25 PM

2013 c-class
GTR still stands out on the road. C63 common. I don't know for sure but assume Nissan's quality/dependability is much higher than Merc.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GT-R or C63?