Help Guys - Exhaust

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 01:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63 AMG
Help Guys - Exhaust

Hey everyone,

So far I have a resonator delete with straight pipes. I then did a secondary cat delete with x pipes. It's kind of loud but just not loud enough.

Today I did a charcoal delete and the sound is ever so slightly louder but not loud enough for my liking.

I was told by a great member on here to remove the x pipe and replace it with a straight pipe with a 1 inch connector.

Is that going to give me a little louder sound or will I need to remove the mufflers, or primary cats. Looking for a little lounder sound that my current set up but not looking to wake up the dead.

Please let me know what's the best set up on a budget?

I am not looking for headers etc. Just cheap mods which I can get a welding shop to make for me.

This delete of the xpipe and replace with a straight pipe with a 1" connect will cost $ 200. Not looking to blow thousands. Will this be enough?

Thanks
Old 02-27-2013, 02:09 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
CLS63S
Change your secondary cat delete from an x-pipe to a straight pipe. You will lose low end torque because of the loss in backpressure, but it will pull harder in the higher RPMs. X-Pipes allow the pressure to equalized and tames the sound down a bit. If you do the straight pipe it will bark and pop a little bit more, give it a bit more rasp too.

Truth be told, you might as well sell the cheaper mods and put the money toward long tube headers or a set of kleeman shorties with a primary delete. Starting with a primary delete and working your way back down the exhaust you can find the tone you are looking for. I kept my resonator and my secondary cats but completely did away with the primaries with a set of Benzworks long tube headers. Keeping the resonator is what keeps the car sounding like an AMG.

Last edited by johnnyblaze; 02-27-2013 at 02:15 PM.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
Hi Sam,

I agree that straight pipes is the best choice to get that loud bark. The problem is that there is no real "in between" sound from what you have (resonator delete) to the loud bark that you might not want-because you already have removed cats...secondary only right?

If you consider the AMG safety car, it has long tube headers straight back with cat delete both primary and secondary. It will decrease low end torque only slightly (from what I know) but will increase high end torque. If you keep resonator you may tone it down a little...

I think adding the connector and removing the x pipe and doing straight pipe is a good start...problem is you will get bored with that too and eventually will need long tubes!! May want to put back resonators...
Old 02-27-2013, 02:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan

Last edited by ZephyrAMG; 02-27-2013 at 02:45 PM.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:42 PM

C63 AMG
Thank you guys!

When you say low end torque, what do you mean exactly? How will that translate? Will I lose 0-60 time? or 60 - 120 time? And if yes, by lots or negligible? Thanks
Old 02-28-2013, 12:19 AM

CLS63S
Originally Posted by C-63AMG
Thank you guys!

When you say low end torque, what do you mean exactly? How will that translate? Will I lose 0-60 time? or 60 - 120 time? And if yes, by lots or negligible? Thanks

1-3k RPM range will pull a tad bit less. So yes that would affect your 0-60 a bit. Its entirely negligible because once you get the car going you are in high rpms anyway so it wouldnt matter at high speed.

You probably will be able to launch better anyway..

Another description for you, not to be taken literally.

Lets say you have 400 wheel horsepower and 400 wheel torque.

Take away some back pressure with straight pipes you might see a slight difference in your torque curve, but your horsepower increases

Now you have 410 wheel horsepower with 395 torque.

That's how it would affect you in a nutshell.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 C63 coupe
Incorrect, he will lose torque lower in the rpm band only if at all! Peak numbers should be slightly higher after a period of ecu adjusting. To realise full gains it will need custom tuning unless he goes headers and a canned tune but even then best is custom
Old 02-28-2013, 11:20 AM

CLS63S
Originally Posted by Buttnekid
Incorrect, he will lose torque lower in the rpm band only if at all! Peak numbers should be slightly higher after a period of ecu adjusting. To realise full gains it will need custom tuning unless he goes headers and a canned tune but even then best is custom

Well coming from personal experience, i lost through the powerband, so I'm not incorrect...
Old 02-28-2013, 01:01 PM

C63 AMG
Thanks guys - I am gonna remove my xpipe - far too refined and replace with straight pipes instead. If I feel any loss or issues, I will simply put a 1" connector on the straight pipes.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:48 PM

2003 SL500 AMG Package, 2015 C300, 2016 WRX
Originally Posted by C-63AMG
Thanks guys - I am gonna remove my xpipe - far too refined and replace with straight pipes instead. If I feel any loss or issues, I will simply put a 1" connector on the straight pipes.
Listen to this vid clip
Old 03-01-2013, 12:11 AM

C63
Heres mine.

Secondary cat delete and res delete with straight pipe all the way through.

I plan to add a h-pipe back in to clean up the exhaust tone.

I find when listening the exhaust from outside at half throttle. The exhaust tone sounds like a crappy exhaust system.

During cruising and keeping it under 3k, the exhaust tone sounds good. I think around the 3-5k rpm, it doesn't sound good. I'm hoping the h-pipe will balance the exhaust pulses to give a better but still aggressive sound.

Now inside cabin wise. The exhaust sounds good right now. I just don't like how it sounds from the outside.