Sponsored by:

2013 One Lap of America in a C63

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 12:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 C63 AMG
Cool 2013 One Lap of America in a C63

Well here goes my first post and I wanted to know if anyone here has any interest in following our 2013 One Lap of America efforts.

Its going to be a tough 30 days with so much going on in prepping two cars for two different classes but our C63 is almost ready for the test of endurance.

Just wanted to share to see if there was anyone who has run the event in the past or other sprint type track events like OLOA.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails 2013 One Lap of America in a C63-atr-e63-01.jpg  

Last edited by AutoTech Racing; 04-02-2013 at 12:49 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 127 Likes on 76 Posts
AMG GTBS, AMG GTR Pro, AMG GT, C63 AMG, Porsche Panamera 4S, RX-7 FC Turbo II
That's great that you are doing this, I would love to follow. Are you running an E63 and C63? Also what type of exhaust are you running--looks interesting from the picture.

I'm sure the guys would be interested in hearing about the mods and prep that you have to do to run the One Lap event. Thanks for posting.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:46 AM

2010 C63 AMG
Cool

Originally Posted by Case1906
That's great that you are doing this, I would love to follow. Are you running an E63 and C63? Also what type of exhaust are you running--looks interesting from the picture.

I'm sure the guys would be interested in hearing about the mods and prep that you have to do to run the One Lap event. Thanks for posting.
The car is a 2010 C63 with the full MHP Exhaust, Long-tubes and catless pipes. YES... Its Unreal LOUD, which will be changed this week! I am sure that after the first 300 road miles, I would be looking to kick small animals if we left it this way!

The car has the H&R Coil-overs, stainless braided brake hoses, Motul fluid, 2-piece StopTech curved vane rotors front & rear with BS pads up front for now which will change once we leave for South Bend. I will be making a trans cooler shroud to keep airflow from spilling over it and to direct it through the cooler for a greater efficiency. We also have the upgraded cams going in by end of this week and will have numbers after the car gets tuned.

More updates will follow as we are looking for a Wheel supplier for the event so we can take full advantage of the mandated 140 treadwear tires. There is plenty of landscape available on the car for those wishing to help us out. We will have a live video streaming feed during the events. Should be a BLAST!!
Old 04-02-2013, 01:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 127 Likes on 76 Posts
AMG GTBS, AMG GTR Pro, AMG GT, C63 AMG, Porsche Panamera 4S, RX-7 FC Turbo II
Originally Posted by AutoTech Racing
The car is a 2010 C63 with the full MHP Exhaust, Long-tubes and catless pipes. YES... Its Unreal LOUD, which will be changed this week! I am sure that after the first 300 road miles, I would be looking to kick small animals if we left it this way!

The car has the H&R Coil-overs, stainless braided brake hoses, Motul fluid, 2-piece StopTech curved vane rotors front & rear with BS pads up front for now which will change once we leave for South Bend. I will be making a trans cooler shroud to keep airflow from spilling over it and to direct it through the cooler for a greater efficiency. We also have the upgraded cams going in by end of this week and will have numbers after the car gets tuned.

More updates will follow as we are looking for a Wheel supplier for the event so we can take full advantage of the mandated 140 treadwear tires. There is plenty of landscape available on the car for those wishing to help us out. We will have a live video streaming feed during the events. Should be a BLAST!!
Could you post a pic of your cooler shroud after you make it. Thanks and keep us posted.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:20 AM

2010 C63 AMG
Cool

Originally Posted by Case1906
Could you post a pic of your cooler shroud after you make it. Thanks and keep us posted.
Sure! No Problem! After making custom parts for Gulfstream, Dassault Falcon and Bombardier... this car will be easy to make cool stuff for!
Old 04-03-2013, 11:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C63; 2011 E350 Coupe
Lots of success. When you have time, keep us updated on how well you do.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:36 PM

c63, '65 buick riviera, '65 impala, s63
which cams? the one MHP offers?
Old 04-04-2013, 01:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my wife bananas! :D
this should be interesting! cruising around america in a c63. couldnt ask for a better ride actually

btw, whats the gas budget?
Old 04-04-2013, 10:09 PM

2010 C63 AMG
Cool

Originally Posted by Fung63
this should be interesting! cruising around america in a c63. couldnt ask for a better ride actually

btw, whats the gas budget?
We have budgeted $1500 for fuel both in transit and for track supplied race fuel.

To the earlier poster on the cams, I cannot comment at this time. I can say we are planning to shoot a video of the tuning and dyno runs which will be done after the 18th.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:50 PM

c63, '65 buick riviera, '65 impala, s63
ok cool sounds like its going to be a beast ....im tuned in
Old 04-05-2013, 02:20 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C63 AMG P30 + OE Tuning
ah sweet! best of luck and fun for the OLOA13! keep us updated
Old 04-05-2013, 05:02 PM

2010 C63 AMG
Cool Which Tires?

So here is the question to start a flame war!!

WHICH TIRES!?!?!

We are running the 235/40-18 fronts & 265/35-18 rears.

Treadwear is a mandated 140 or HIGHER.

Remember... we have 3500 transit miles to go and 18 actual track sessions, most being road course with two drag strip, one autocross and two skid pad events, one wet the other dry.

My first choice is the Michelin Super Sports but several others are saying the Yokohama or Hankook Ventus will give the most grip.

Suggestions?
Old 04-05-2013, 08:18 PM

C63 AMG P30 + OE Tuning
Hankook Ventus are a harder compound than the PSS. For everyday easy driving and maintaining a durable cause - from my experience its an ok set of tires. PSS have sweet rubber for traction and comfort however has a shorter lifespan than the Ventus. It's great in the dry and in the wet. I'm running on them now.

Question is, can you only use 1 set of tyres for the whole 18 track sessions? Or do you have any other options?
Old 04-05-2013, 09:28 PM

2010 C63 AMG
Cool

Originally Posted by yazid
Hankook Ventus are a harder compound than the PSS. For everyday easy driving and maintaining a durable cause - from my experience its an ok set of tires. PSS have sweet rubber for traction and comfort however has a shorter lifespan than the Ventus. It's great in the dry and in the wet. I'm running on them now.

Question is, can you only use 1 set of tyres for the whole 18 track sessions? Or do you have any other options?
Which are you running now, the PSS or the Ventus..? Thanks for your input.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:32 PM

C63AMG Coupe
WHy not ask Luke @ Tirerack , he is the tire/wheel subforum sponsor ?
If the roadcourse laps are one lap only ,you shouldn't need extra cooling measures , but read up on C63's going into limp mode with higher oil temps. Maybe not the 2010's as much as the 2012's. ???? With the cams etc you'll be ringing a few more hp out of it and therefore more heat.
If you haven't driven many miles in a 6.3 , keep on top of the oil dipstick, some like to drink the 0-40.
Ask Luke what tire may give you good grip at ~32psi at the track and then back up to 40psi for the "commute" to the next track.

Have a blast , it will be nice in the 6.3 compared to many of the other autos.

I know some Iron Butt motorcycle guys 12,000mi/10 days and they swear by the 20 minute cat nap , no less, no more..... every few hours. take a timer, there's a special loud timer made for truckers. Carry a foam sleeping bag pad for the naps. Carry 2 or 3 different brands GPS. Run a spare 12v for your gadgets. 80mph yields about 20-21 mpg in my stock 2012.
Practice the drag launch with the racestart program. Ask around here for better alignment specs- there's not nearly enough rear tire on it to put alot of power down in the turns. all I can think of for now --Have a Great Time!!
Old 04-05-2013, 11:27 PM

2010 C63 AMG
Talking

Originally Posted by hansamg
WHy not ask Luke @ Tirerack , he is the tire/wheel subforum sponsor ? Ask Luke what tire may give you good grip at ~32psi at the track and then back up to 40psi for the "commute" to the next track.
I called Tire Rack and yes they are our sponsor but I need to find someone there who has experience with the actual tires not the sales sheets. Which is also part of the problem because three new tires have come out over the winter and due to their South Bend location, they have YET to truly test these new compounds and tires. I sometimes believe they sponsor OLOA so they can get a read of everyone's feedback on a 140 TW tire and use that for their sales the rest of the year.

If the roadcourse laps are one lap only ,you shouldn't need extra cooling measures , but read up on C63's going into limp mode with higher oil temps. Maybe not the 2010's as much as the 2012's. ???? With the cams etc you'll be ringing a few more hp out of it and therefore more heat.
If you haven't driven many miles in a 6.3 , keep on top of the oil dipstick, some like to drink the 0-40.
The format is a recon lap to the Start/Finish which is not always the traditional start/finish line... meaning at Daytona, the line is just after the East Horseshoe to save time for cars entering and exiting after finishing and not holding up the next car to do a huge cool-down lap to get off the track. Once the Recon Lap is complete you line up for a drag start and do three consecutive flying laps. You time is the TOTAL TIME of all three laps. So if you botch one or get one ringer baddass run, they all average together. Fastest lap of the session takes the lead. You then go back to the paddock and wait for your run group to begin the second session, making any adjustments you can in the meantime. We have added a computerized nitrous system to help fog the engine to keep the intake from heat soaking on the cool-down laps and to aid in elevated upper engine temps. In addition we have a carbon hood with multiple vents to reduce front end lift and to remove engine heat. Had we more time, we would have removed the full length headers and had them ceramic coated, but there just isn't time.

I have added a oil/air separator with a catch can and drain. This has done wonders for dropping the intake temps and removed all smoking on start-ups.

Have a blast , it will be nice in the 6.3 compared to many of the other autos.

I know some Iron Butt motorcycle guys 12,000mi/10 days and they swear by the 20 minute cat nap , no less, no more..... every few hours. take a timer, there's a special loud timer made for truckers. Carry a foam sleeping bag pad for the naps. Carry 2 or 3 different brands GPS. Run a spare 12v for your gadgets. 80mph yields about 20-21 mpg in my stock 2012.
I recently completed 19,430 miles in 49 days for a Chrysler SRT Promotion for Autoweek magazine. If you can imagine... getting PAID $2k/wk expenses plus a nice sum to drive in a "Search for the Best Roads in America" called the America Adventure, I did it. I had a sweet ringer of a 2012 SRT8 Charger with all the options. It was black just so the truckers thought I was a State Trooper and the State Troopers thought I was a Sheriff! Here is the link to many of the pics on our Facebook Page: Click here for the link to our RaceShotsResource Mobile pics. SO YES... Iron But in a car or Bike, I drink nothing with caffeine and keep the vitamins for the long trip. An aspirin helps thin the blood to keep flow in the but and compression socks help too.

Practice the drag launch with the racestart program. Ask around here for better alignment specs- there's not nearly enough rear tire on it to put alot of power down in the turns. all I can think of for now --Have a Great Time!!
I have not launched the car yet with the racestart program. Would love to catch a video or two of actual owners who have figured out the settings to make these cars work well. I agree there just is not a lot of tire on this car, not nearly enough to put the power down. YES, we will be making an excessive amount of power for the available grip but I am hoping it will give us the advantage over our competition on the tracks where their 155mph speed limiter is going to kick in a lot!

Last edited by AutoTech Racing; 04-05-2013 at 11:33 PM.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:08 AM

GT2 C63 and yo sister
Sure! No Problem! After making custom parts for Gulfstream, Dassault Falcon and Bombardier... this car will be easy to make cool stuff for!
can you get a HUD from the Gulfstream Assembly line, the kind with night vision and install it in your C63?
Old 04-06-2013, 01:18 AM

C63 AMG P30 + OE Tuning
Which are you running now, the PSS or the Ventus..? Thanks for your input.
PSS mate
Old 04-06-2013, 01:55 AM

2012 C63 Black Series Coupe
Well here goes my first post and I wanted to know if anyone here has any interest in following our 2013 One Lap of America efforts.

Its going to be a tough 30 days with so much going on in prepping two cars for two different classes but our C63 is almost ready for the test of endurance.

Just wanted to share to see if there was anyone who has run the event in the past or other sprint type track events like OLOA.

Thanks!
Best of luck to you! I ran the third One Lap of America in a...

[wait for it]

CATERHAM SUPER SEVEN.

I'm not kidding. 5,000 miles in six days, with only one hotel stop in the middle. My Chiropractor loved me for doing this, as it took about six months of regular treatment to restore my lower back to normal operation.

Again, good luck and I look forward to following your progress!
Old 04-06-2013, 08:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 Chevy 427 Torch Red
So here is the question to start a flame war!!

WHICH TIRES!?!?!

We are running the 235/40-18 fronts & 265/35-18 rears.

Treadwear is a mandated 140 or HIGHER.

Remember... we have 3500 transit miles to go and 18 actual track sessions, most being road course with two drag strip, one autocross and two skid pad events, one wet the other dry.

My first choice is the Michelin Super Sports but several others are saying the Yokohama or Hankook Ventus will give the most grip.

Suggestions?
PSS is a clear choice. During four years I managed to sample several tires and the Super Sports excelled even over Dirrezza Star Specs. Nothing else will give you all weather extreme performance in both lateral grip and straight line acceleration. They are also the tire of choice for the C7 Vette

For another perspective contact Sharif, owner of Forged Performance in Ga, he competed in this event with his shop GTR and raves about the PSS's. If memory serves I believe he ran a 1:31 at Road Atlanta with these tires.
Old 04-06-2013, 02:05 PM

2010 C63 AMG
Cool Which Oil Do You Use?

Originally Posted by hhughes1
PSS is a clear choice. During four years I managed to sample several tires and the Super Sports excelled even over Dirrezza Star Specs. Nothing else will give you all weather extreme performance in both lateral grip and straight line acceleration. They are also the tire of choice for the C7 Vette

For another perspective contact Sharif, owner of Forged Performance in Ga, he competed in this event with his shop GTR and raves about the PSS's. If memory serves I believe he ran a 1:31 at Road Atlanta with these tires.
I know Sharif and well aware of Forged Performance.

We are taking the car to TopSpeed Motorsports for all Tuning and set-up for the OLOA event. It was Doug's recommendation to also use the PSS so that has been our choice and we thank everyone for the input.

NOW... lets shift gears.

Since it seems that many have issues with oil temps rising and putting these cars into "Limp Mode," I have to wonder if anyone has used Royal Purple's R-Series lubricants which show a far greater heat dissipation than Mobil1?

Anyone?

Also note I have included the link to our new Facebook page specifically for our racing efforts of this car in my signature. Please visit the page, give us a shout out and share it with your friends. I will be launching a new tab on the page which will have GPS tracking of our movements during the event and also include live streaming video throughout the event. Be sure to subscribe to our updates.

Thanks!!
Old 04-10-2013, 03:41 AM

2010 C63 AMG
Cool New Radiator Closeout Panel makes a HUGE difference!!

After many back to back attempts at trying to keep the transmission from going into a limp mode or trying to reduce engine temps after many back to back runs, I think a quick & easy solution has rendered a solution.

After a thought out analysis of the plethora of heat exchangers located in front of the radiator... I decided to stop or at least make it more difficult for the airflow to simply bounce off the forward heat exchangers, surf over the core support and up to the engine air intakes. This hot air simply increases the heat issue and reduces the designed efficiency of an already stout trans cooler.

By adding this panel, the airflow is stacked at the front of the heat exchanger, hot air is blocked from rising up into the engine air inlets and our repeated tests have shown great results without having any further cut in performance. At speed the throttle response even feels better. I'm looking for a VBOX to see any differences since our last run but I can say the temps are showing lower and no more limp mode after a 30-45 minute heat soak.

Visit our Facebook page for pics and descriptions of this mod. We will have these for sale in either high density plastic or carbon fiber after OLOA.

Click here to see the photo album on Facebook.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 C63
My best friend works at Tire Rack (purchasing). He would likely be happy to reccomdnd a tire to you. Although from my experience he will tell you PSS. Let me know if you want his number.

When One lap comes through the first time I usually come check out the cars. Ill keep an eye out for you.

Good luck!
Old 04-10-2013, 10:11 AM

2010 C63 AMG
Cool

Originally Posted by AMGangster
My best friend works at Tire Rack (purchasing). He would likely be happy to reccomdnd a tire to you. Although from my experience he will tell you PSS. Let me know if you want his number.

When One lap comes through the first time I usually come check out the cars. Ill keep an eye out for you.

Good luck!
Thanks for the suggestion... the PSS is where we are going with our selection.

Definitely come by, we will be putting on stickers and telling lies about racing!
Old 04-11-2013, 10:29 AM

C63 AMG P30 + OE Tuning
Now this radiator closeout panel is really interesting.. would you say this is a quick fix to obtaining cooler air for the intake and ensuring not overheating the M156? PM me on pricing for both HDP and CF when avail. May be a good way to cool the M156 in a hot tropical climate!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: 2013 One Lap of America in a C63