C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Born Weistec Stage 3 Monster

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 01:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 SLS AMG, 2009 SL63 AMG, 2008 C63 AMG(SOLD)
Blown,

Any updates man? Hows your beast?
Old 04-29-2013, 02:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 CLS63 S-AMG
Sorry for the delay guys, I wanted to get to the bottom of everything before I prematurely made any assumptions of what happened.

So we still don’t know exactly what is going on inside the engine yet, but I am shipping my engine to Weistec today so that they can get to the bottom of everything. They have been MORE than willing to help in every way and are making this process as stress free as possible for me which I am very grateful for. We are assuming, as of now, that it’s just one piston that has gone bad, but we will know exactly once the engine is opened up.

Merc, you are correct this will be my excuse to do a full engine build which will allow me to throw anything at the engine and have peace of mind which I am very excited about.

As we were investigating this situation we came across some very shady s*** that was done to my car under warranty at the dealer. We became curious when the guys at Speedriven noticed that my intake manifold was SIGNED with permanent marker, “Reassembled, Team Voltola + Keith M”

I took my car to benz at around 15k miles because of a noise (which later found out was the heat shield which was hitting the down pipes causing the noise). I was out of town when the car was done and had a family member pick up the car from the dealer. I was in contact with the SA over the phone and all he had told me was that it was some heat shield issue that they had fixed and thought nothing of it.

We now pulled the vmi history of my car. Also, I called benz to get the exact invoice of what had been done to my car during that service. To my surprise they changed my head bolts because they had found that one had been broken causing oil leakage (which came out to be a 5 page invoice of work). So who are these f***ers who worked on my car and were they too busy signing my manifold to worry about how my car was put back together?? When I was told that manifold was signed I was a bit confused, but when I actually saw a picture of it signed I became furious!! I called benz to ask if there is a technician named Keith there and as I expected there is which clearly shows it was them who signed and worked on the car.

I have never trusted dealers, but this has definitely confirmed that and will never again take a car of mine to a dealer! This should be a warning to everyone, be careful who you allow to work on your car, even if it is the dealer doing warranty work!!

Here is an link to the image of the vmi report as well as the picture of my manifold that was signed!! I will update once I have more info.

https://i.imgur.com/IKjBMcc.jpg
Attached Thumbnails New Born Weistec Stage 3 Monster-manifold.jpg  

Last edited by Blown63; 04-29-2013 at 02:08 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
Wow man unbelievable!

I wonder how the dealer seals the head bolts because I never seen anything in the documents from MB for a sealant...

Maybe they Didnt torque one down correctly or something.... Who knows could be anything...

This is why I do my work in my garage. I know for a fact how everything went down.

Weistec is a solid company and they will help you out for sure. You know when it leaves Weistec that it will be done right and maybe Steve can cross out that signature on your block for you lol.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:32 PM

2015 CLS63 S-AMG
Originally Posted by Merc63
Wow man unbelievable!

I wonder how the dealer seals the head bolts because I never seen anything in the documents from MB for a sealant...

Maybe they Didnt torque one down correctly or something.... Who knows could be anything...

This is why I do my work in my garage. I know for a fact how everything went down.

Weistec is a solid company and they will help you out for sure. You know when it leaves Weistec that it will be done right and maybe Steve can cross out that signature on your block for you lol.
Who knows what they could have done! Trust me I wish I knew more so I could be the one working on my car too. I would obviously prefer that but I wouldn't trust myself anyways and I feel much more comfortable with guys like Marcin and Steve working on my car
Old 04-29-2013, 07:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 370 Likes on 212 Posts
c63
^^ so sorry to hear the bad news this is why I was saying I wish weistec had a local shop things would be much easier for you instead of shipping parts everywhere

Anyhow lets not get into that hopefully all goes well for you keep us posted
Old 04-29-2013, 08:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Good to know that you have the upgraded headbolts. It looks like the tech(s) are a bunch of wise-asses that signed your manifold because they couldn't get an AMG plaque with their signature.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:29 PM

2015 CLS63 S-AMG
Originally Posted by Sincity
Good to know that you have the upgraded headbolts. It looks like the tech(s) are a bunch of wise-asses that signed your manifold because they couldn't get an AMG plaque with their signature.
Definitely a positive having the upgraded headbolts, but even more of a positive is having Weistec's studs and built engine!

I would love to go to the dealer with the picture of my manifold and the blown piston and start throwing a fit. I am unsure what would come about if I did that but IMO definitely worth a shot.

Anyone think something positive would come out of doing that? Or any ideas how to go about this? Of course I wouldn't want to take my car to them but my reasoning if they asked for me to do so would be that I would never bring my car into a dealer again. But then again I doubt they will do anything without having the car there
Old 04-30-2013, 03:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 c63 sedan
Damn man, I feel for you.. Glad to see that your car will be even stronger afterwards and you have the funds to keep it going!

Good to see your positive outlook on this situation.. Your beast will be back and running in no time..
Old 04-30-2013, 05:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
2014 Audi RS7
Originally Posted by Blown63
Definitely a positive having the upgraded headbolts, but even more of a positive is having Weistec's studs and built engine!

I would love to go to the dealer with the picture of my manifold and the blown piston and start throwing a fit. I am unsure what would come about if I did that but IMO definitely worth a shot.

Anyone think something positive would come out of doing that? Or any ideas how to go about this? Of course I wouldn't want to take my car to them but my reasoning if they asked for me to do so would be that I would never bring my car into a dealer again. But then again I doubt they will do anything without having the car there
Don't waste your time going back to the dealer. They won't do anything and all it will do is aggravate the both of you. You put the blower on the car and they won't touch it. When they change the head bolts the mechanics may be instructed to sign their work so anyone that inquires will already know that the head bolts have been replaced so I wouldn't get excited about the signature. For us that play serious it sometimes cost us.

Glad to know you'll be fine in Steve's hands at Weistec. Look forward and not back. Things will get better!!
Old 04-30-2013, 10:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 C55, 09 E350
So after a day with your blower your car has a major failure, but you are upset with the dealer? I think you need to direct your anger somewhere else. Or actually don't because you might be get screwed if you speak out about your issues. Anyways I hope it's not serious and they can get it fixed without any additional charges to you. I knew I thought it was odd with the comments about any decent mechanic being able to install these. These things are best left to the manufacturer. I am sure wesitec will sort it out.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:18 AM

2011 SLS AMG, 2009 SL63 AMG, 2008 C63 AMG(SOLD)
Originally Posted by JonMBZ
So after a day with your blower your car has a major failure, but you are upset with the dealer? I think you need to direct your anger somewhere else. Or actually don't because you might be get screwed if you speak out about your issues. Anyways I hope it's not serious and they can get it fixed without any additional charges to you. I knew I thought it was odd with the comments about any decent mechanic being able to install these. These things are best left to the manufacturer. I am sure wesitec will sort it out.
Like Who?
Old 05-01-2013, 02:06 AM

2005 C32 4Matic - That's Not A Typo! :D
Originally Posted by JonMBZ
I think you've confused the shop that installed the Whipple with the dealer that had their hand in the motor before it was installed. They are two totally different entities and the fact that the tech at the dealer was immature enough to sharpie a high dollar motor when doing head bolts doesn't exactly scream attention to detail. As for the shop that installed the Whipple, it's not something best left to the manufacturer, it's best left to competent shops with competent techs because the last thing I want is for someone on team voltola signing his name instead of torquing everything down correctly.

Old 05-01-2013, 09:34 AM

Location: On a oil lease cracking rock to recover glorious sour oil
Modded 2010 Harley Edition F-450 and a '13 S5
Seems to be a lot of assumptions in this thread. Just because someone signed their name on a manifold does not mean that the bolts were not torqued to spec. Doesn't mean he is immature either. When I would assemble oilfield tools, we would sign as PROOF that it was done, and that if there was a tool failure they was documentation all be it on the tool, to show who assembled it.

Has it been proven that the hg did in fact blow? Oil out of the exhaust is not a good indication of blown gaskets. Your car looking like a steam engine is. I have had a catastrophic HG failure on a positive displacement engine as well as a piston failure. They look nothing alike.

I put even money on blown rings. Pay to play right?
Old 05-01-2013, 12:09 PM

2015 CLS63 S-AMG
Originally Posted by forcefed6.4ford
Seems to be a lot of assumptions in this thread. Just because someone signed their name on a manifold does not mean that the bolts were not torqued to spec. Doesn't mean he is immature either. When I would assemble oilfield tools, we would sign as PROOF that it was done, and that if there was a tool failure they was documentation all be it on the tool, to show who assembled it.

Has it been proven that the hg did in fact blow? Oil out of the exhaust is not a good indication of blown gaskets. Your car looking like a steam engine is. I have had a catastrophic HG failure on a positive displacement engine as well as a piston failure. They look nothing alike.

No assumptions are being made. If a amg/mb tech can confirm that it is normal to sign their work, I would completely understand. Until then I will think that it is immature and agree with rcompart that it doesn't scream attention to detail. Also, I know Marcin @ Speedriven has worked at Benz for many years and he found the signature just as odd.

There is no one to blame and no matter if it’s 1 day or a year after installing a blower, if the engine is going to give it will no matter on the timing. However, there is a possibility that something benz did could be related to the issue. Either way if it is or isn’t Benz, Weistec is taking care of the situation at hand no matter what it is exactly.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:10 PM

2005 C32 4Matic - That's Not A Typo! :D

I wasn't trying to imply things weren't torqued down correctly, more that I'd want a tech to be paying close attention to what he was doing and perform the service correctly, especially when that deep into a motor. As for the team voltola, if you're gonna write on something so there's proof you were in there, initials and a date would have more than sufficed and been the professional approach. I know if might not sound like much but if it was simply initialed, this probably wouldn't have even been brought up.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:23 PM

He could have drawn a picture of unicorns and rainbows and it would still be a moot point. No need to get "furious" as you claim.

Last edited by forcefed6.4ford; 05-01-2013 at 02:39 PM.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
07 E63 + 07 CLK63CAB
Hello Guys, after reading this blog I am wondering actually which head the tech removed to get the broken bolt out. Did he replace both banks with new upgraded bolts? Does the issue relate to the same head as had the broken bolt and did the tech replace both head gaskets and also remove both heads or was it a one gasket change and for the other head a one for one head bolt switch with no new gasket? Just a procedural question but had the tech actually been trained to work on AMG engines? Just thinking out loud, vaccuum leak on new blower mount torched an intake valve allowing oil to be drawn into cyl. I guess we will see. Hoping for the best and the least cost Good Luck
Old 05-01-2013, 06:28 PM

2015 CLS63 S-AMG
He could have drawn a picture of unicorns and rainbows and it would still be a moot point. No need to get "furious" as you claim.
Ok let me take YOUR $70k+ car and use permanent marker to sign your manifold and lets see how you like it!

I am not saying the signature caused anything but who ever Team Voltola and Keith are could have initialed as mentioned above and possibly focused more on how my car was put back together??

Could team Voltola be a team name of a bunch of regular MB techs working on my car?

Either way you would get a little upset when you see that is all I was saying. And I would really like to know if they were AMG techs who did the work on my car.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Blown63
Ok let me take YOUR $70k+ car and use permanent marker to sign your manifold and lets see how you like it!

I am not saying the signature caused anything but who ever Team Voltola and Keith are could have initialed as mentioned above and possibly focused more on how my car was put back together??
And who's to say they didn't. What I'm getting at is that this kind of chit is really nothing to get mad about. I realize that you are a little miffed about what has happened, but to say a tech that happened to sign your manifold is not paying attention to his job is rediculous. I'd laugh. Hell I have laughed. My techs have left little notes all over my trucks. I think it's cute. Nothing like fighting to disassemble a set of compound turbos only to find. "It's a b!tch isn't it Chris?" written on the inside rocker box in maker. Lighten up and don't take this chit seriously. If you don't it will give you an ulcer.

I'd be far more curious to find out if they replaced all the studs on that bank with the broken head bolt and if the gasket was changed out. Heads with uneven torque load can create a lot of grief from repeated heat cycles. Depending on how long the car ran with a broken bolt your fate could have been sealed from the get go.

Last edited by forcefed6.4ford; 05-01-2013 at 07:07 PM.
Old 04-17-2015, 11:39 PM

Lots
Blown63:

wtf is the update on this?
Old 04-18-2015, 12:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
'12 C63 Black Series, '12 ML350 BlueTech
Originally Posted by c63buckeye
Blown63:

wtf is the update on this?
Just ask the newbie above that just resurrected this thread from the dead. Not OP!
Old 04-18-2015, 12:53 AM

Lots
Originally Posted by abcut973
Just ask the newbie above that just resurrected this thread from the dead. Not OP!

yeah bro, but that's only the New Zealand update.