C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

M156 out of timing

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 02:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 286 Likes on 184 Posts
10 C six trizzle
i would agree your car has half the control modules, 2 less turbos, 4 less cylinders, no hydrualic suspension or extra coolers. then again bragging about working on a whopping 3 s65's isnt anything special. now having replaced motors in a 600 thats alot more note worthy.
Old 02-24-2017, 12:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,576 Likes on 929 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
My guess is this part. https://www.parts.com/index.cfm?fuse...SHUT-OFF-VALVE
Old 11-15-2017, 09:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 ML63 AMG
Head bolts done 8k miles ago, now P0016 code

Originally Posted by roadtalontsi
never seen that (the center cog) worn out on the 63 motor. that was only on 272 and 273 motors. I think someone had your engine apart and maybe didnt torque the cams gears propery or the bolts stretched. or maybe they didnt replace the special diamond coated washer since there is no dowel pin or anything. Ever have your headbolts done?

You had asked if the head bolts had been done. I am jumping in here to ask your opinion on my situation.

2nd owner 2009 ML63AMG. Original owner had all maintenance done at dealer including tire purchases.

I pirchased with aprx 63k miles. A few thousand miles later, CEL - the dealer said head bolts failed. After negotiating with MB USA and my local dealer- a full engine out repair and flush was done to the tune of $8.3k

That was about 6 months and nearly 10k miles ago.

My wife primarily drives the car and we both noticed that occasionally it had a rough start up. I was literally on the way to have the battery checked as step 1 of the diagnosis.

CEL light came on en route to Autozone. They said battery was weak and pull the code P0016.

The car is set to go back to the dealer again today.

Is the recent headbolt replacement pertinent to this new countershaft balance error code / rough start?

it seems to run fine otherwise.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts
W212 - E63 AMG
Originally Posted by danosll
i am experiencing the exact syptoms (-6 ignition angle loud reverb in exhaust) no codes.i am using star and cant for the life of me figure it out. i have tested air shut off valve, purge valve. @schmick325 says he changed diverter valve could that be secondary air shutoff valve? any help would be appreciated
Thanks Dan
This can be caused by a vacuum leak at idle, usually an internal one, as external would trip a cel real quick.

It's entirely possible that one of the throttle bodies is faulty and can't shut 100% under engine vacuum, which is allowing additional air into the engine which the maf has accounted for, but the engine doesn't know what to do with, because it forces the idle up....thus the only solution for the PCM is to pull loads of timing to drop the idle rpm.

Ask me how I know. I only spent most of 2017 trying to work this out on my own car
The following users liked this post:
ecmexchange (11-15-2017)
Old 05-16-2022, 10:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W220 S500 2003 4Matic & W140 1998 S600 V12
Originally Posted by Celicasaur
This can be caused by a vacuum leak at idle, usually an internal one, as external would trip a cel real quick.

It's entirely possible that one of the throttle bodies is faulty and can't shut 100% under engine vacuum, which is allowing additional air into the engine which the maf has accounted for, but the engine doesn't know what to do with, because it forces the idle up....thus the only solution for the PCM is to pull loads of timing to drop the idle rpm.

Ask me how I know. I only spent most of 2017 trying to work this out on my own car
How would you check for the throttle body problem you're talking about?

I'm experiencing ALLL of the camshaft codes, sooner or later after erasing them and driving the car hard enough: P0012, p0014, p0016, p0021, p0024 , with the purge valve too ironically p0444.
check for intake and exhaust camshaft reading at idle, they are perfectly good (-15, -15) and (28, 28). So I guess problem comes from ignition angle(which I haven't checked as I'm looking from a Autel scanner, haven't hooked my STAR yet)
Also concerning the throttle
The data I'm getting for both sensors of both throttle bodies with engine off are:
Throttle body 1:
Sensor 1 0.34
Sensor 2 4.66
Throttle body2:
Sensor 1 0.34v
Sensor 2 0.66
all of them reversing to their opposite voltage (5- initial Volt) at full throttle
Maybe that would be different with the engine running 🤷

Manifold pressure is about 300inh at idle and around 400 with throttle halfway.. does that make sense?

Finally, I got the code p0101 after about 100km of driving but it registered as "stored" only. Not sure how this could relate to the rest.

Last edited by michobebe; 05-16-2022 at 10:27 PM.
Old 10-14-2022, 03:01 PM

c63
@michobebe any updates on this?
Old 10-14-2022, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by mrfatd
@michobebe any updates on this?
No, not at all, but.... I have a suspicion it's air leak past the aluminum plate inside the manifold caused by corrosion causing air leak behind the throttle bodies, affecting how the engine is trying to control it's timing. I read it from other members but haven't gotten to open the manifold yet. I'll store the car as is for the season and will see in the winter/spring before next summer
Old 10-14-2022, 05:09 PM

c63
Originally Posted by michobebe
No, not at all, but.... I have a suspicion it's air leak past the aluminum plate inside the manifold caused by corrosion causing air leak behind the throttle bodies, affecting how the engine is trying to control it's timing. I read it from other members but haven't gotten to open the manifold yet. I'll store the car as is for the season and will see in the winter/spring before next summer
Fair enough. I think I might be in a similar boat. Season almost over and was going to park my car over winter. Might need to take the covers off again though..

Sorry to hijack your thread but I have very similar codes and symptoms. What do you think of these camshaft position values I just had pulled from STARS?
Intake camshaft right cylinder bank 65deg
Intake camshaft left cylinder bank 62deg
Exhaust camshaft right cylinder bank 28 deg
Exhaust camshaft left cylinder bank -14deg (?) < That doesn't seem right. Position sensor?

This happened during the relearn process.
Regards
Old 03-26-2023, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by mrfatd
Fair enough. I think I might be in a similar boat. Season almost over and was going to park my car over winter. Might need to take the covers off again though..

Sorry to hijack your thread but I have very similar codes and symptoms. What do you think of these camshaft position values I just had pulled from STARS?
Intake camshaft right cylinder bank 65deg
Intake camshaft left cylinder bank 62deg
Exhaust camshaft right cylinder bank 28 deg
Exhaust camshaft left cylinder bank -14deg (?) < That doesn't seem right. Position sensor?

This happened during the relearn process.
Regards
First I think you're mistaking intake-exhaust with left-right. As -14 and 28 are good numbers for each.
second, the 62 and 65 are not supposed to. What's the right solution? i wouldn't know, still trying to solve mine