C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

thinking of a c63 from a 335d

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 11:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 BMW 335d
thinking of a c63 from a 335d

Hey guys Im a BMW nut, but I've always loved the look, exclusive factor and safety/technology of a Mercedes, Ive really been thinking of and envying the thought of a c63. Just thinking of some opinions from others who have owned BMW and made the switch.. what you liked...what you didnt etc.
I am coming from a torque monster (335 diesel) and it makes a lot of other cars feel slow (if boring) because of the 525ft lbs. of torque... I originally looked into c350 sport and also the thought of an m3 sedan (very rare) but i'd be lying to myself if I said the c350 would be enough for me. I like to have a spirited driving style so not sure if that would cut it. Thought / opinions .. throw em at me !!
Old 05-28-2013, 11:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Slow Vehicle
well I came from a 335i that was heavily modded. I can tell you that the c63 is a complete different car. Handling is probably the biggest and most noticeable difference. The car is a lot more comfortable although it is much more stiff and solid feeling when taking turns. Now I felt like the 335i was more of a sporty feel when you are sitting inside and the mb is more of a luxury car, although the seats and power brings the sports feeling back. Love both cars although I have to give it to the c63. I don't think I would be disappointed in an m3 either.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

my wife bananas! :D
the performance difference between the c63 and the c350 is lightyears apart compared to a m3 and its 335 counterpart.

you'll like the torque as well on the c63 coming from your bmw, the layout of the controls will take a sec to get used to.... however i will say i like the console of the bmw more. what you will love about the c63 is the exhaust note... the 6.2l NA engine will give it a sound that makes you smile everytime you hear it.

if you havent test drove a c63 yet... def do it... and make sure the mb salesperson isnit in the car with you. then let the car show you what its all about
Old 05-28-2013, 12:10 PM

M3, S4, C63
I came from N54 and N55 based 335i and also have a 35d X5 so I understand how you feel about the torque of the "d" engine. A couple of thoughts:

- MPG: Now you know the from a "d" to C63, there is an increase of gas consumption. Depending on your right foot and your commute, this can represent a "bigger than you think" dent to your budget. Just be aware of that. (My avg. in both my 335s were about 18-19... I'm averaging 12.2mpg in the AMG - worth every penny!)

- The C63's torque comes on much quicker than M3 and much higher but it does not come on like the "d" engine in 335d. But it "keeps" pulling where 335d kinda plateaus after 4000-4500RPM.

- Navigation: C63's nav is not the best look (IMHO) and not the best to work with. My S4 has a much better nav. It's on par with BMW's CIC i-Drive.

Other than that, C63 in EVERY WAY (IMHO) has been an excellent upgrade from my 335i and E92 M3 DCT.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:36 PM

2011 BMW 335d
Well I guess the two major things I wanted to know was the handling (which has partially been addressed) honestly the 335d even with the sport pack handles well, almost perfect even but pushing it very hard it is a little softer than id like. Im hoping the c63 is a little tougher in that aspect, and as per a few posts up it sounds like itll live up to that.
Other thing was maintence / repairs. Obviously its German but i've had a few BMW's and they really havent needed much but normal wear and tear items and a small few warranty issues. I know the m3 requires some more maintenance compared to a non-M. Whats the C63 like?
Old 05-28-2013, 12:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

my wife bananas! :D
regular scheduled service is roughly once a year. you will want to do your oils every 6 months. then its pretty much standard as everything else... if you are unlucky your car will have more issues, otherwise its pretty rock solid.

as a warning tho, the c63 tends to rattle
Old 05-28-2013, 12:47 PM

C63
I have had multiple M series, both 3 and 5's and I can say without a doubt I love the C63 compared to any of the Bimmer's. They have become boring for me. The C63, IMO offers much more excitement (even with an Automatic, which I have never owned up until now) and it is just such a pleasure to drive it. It is a car, that I think, can be driven in so many different ways that it always suits my needs/wants.

As for the maintenance part, I think it is equal to, or perhaps a little less then the BMW's. Seemed like every time I had a BMW in for anything there was always some little maintenance item due or just about due. I have found the Service Department to be much better at Mercedes than the BMW Dealer I was using.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
2006 E55
Get a new CLA45!

It will have the torque (and lack of big top end) like the 335d, handle great, be ultra hip and have all the latest tech.

//Thread

Good luck!
Old 05-28-2013, 05:14 PM

2011 BMW 335d
I have seen the CLA45's pics...its not bad and the overall package seems good ..im not so big on the 2.0 even though its got gobs of power....
HOWEVER
I have fallen in love with the C63's timeless look. It looks fantastic to me, and the engine is just beast ... I really would love to finally be able to intimidate all of my American Muscle car buddies lol.. they have a lot of respect for the 335d because it IS very quick.. however its like stealth. You cant hear it. You just see the smoke and it BOOKS. In a way thats nice, but owning this car for a few years now you really get to miss the rumble. You guys are really talking me into the C63 .... My friends are like whatttt youre not gonna be Jon BMW anymore... but it may be time to finally move on.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
Any stock handling ails can be cured by aftermarket suspension, good rims, and tire choice.