Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 07:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 846 Likes on 594 Posts
E63S | X5
C63 Woes

A little vent sesh...

Haven't owned the car very long and it's already a bit of a handful.

1. The windshield is weak. I haven't hit any rock/debris big enough to make a sound loud enough for me to notice but I have 4-5 chips/cracks in it that seem to just show up. Only a matter of time until one spiders out of control.

2. The exhaust is made to leak from factory. That "V-band" on the passenger side is a complete joke. The thing I love so much about the car (exhaust note) I can't even enjoy.

3. Car sat in the garage for a week and a half and I got the whole stuck lifter issue or so I believe. Decently loud ticking noise but once I drove it a bit that went away to only leave the exhaust leak.

On the bright side, ADV was very expedient about sending me new fasteners for the face of my wheels and even sent me a couple extras.

Oh wait, one of the wheels is bent and shakes from 60mph+

Little nickel and dime things that are just a headache being so busy. /Life
Old 06-12-2013, 07:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 P31 C63 2015 CLA45
First world problems. On a serious note, hope you get everything fixed, brother.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:49 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
F10 M5 Comp, 2012 Ford Raptor
What about your experience leads you to believe there's an exhaust leak? How was it diagnosed, and how is it interrupting the audible sound of the rest of the system?
Old 06-12-2013, 09:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
I heard of a guy in the Bay Area with a Bugatti who was doing some runs on the highway with a crew of exotic car owners and caught a rock in one of his radiators. Could be worse. Then again, I've been dealing with different CEL issues for the past week or so.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S | X5
Originally Posted by mland550
What about your experience leads you to believe there's an exhaust leak? How was it diagnosed, and how is it interrupting the audible sound of the rest of the system?
Exhaust leaks are quite obvious. I have "custom" secondary cats, you can see where the leaks are.

It'll straighten out im sure
Old 06-12-2013, 10:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'16 Lexus GS F '18 M5
Had a service advisory tell me that ticking was a fuel injector?!
Old 06-12-2013, 11:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S | X5
^Not sure where you are coming from? Whether you had a ticking or if I had a SA say my car had a ticking injector, so I'll tackle both.

- No, I didn't talk to a SA. Generally ticking after a 63 has been sitting for a bit is most commonly a stuck lifter. Driving around made that go away for me.

- As for you, if that is what your SA said then maybe? But I'd still tack it up to a stuck lifter.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 81 Posts
C63 AMG
Purple - I think most here would advise not to drive the car until the lifter noise goes away.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:27 AM

'16 Lexus GS F '18 M5
To clarify, I had a ticking about one week ago when I first started my car. Its the first time I had heard it. Drove directly to the dealership and by the time I arrived it quit (only 5 minutes away). I too thought it might be a lifter but the SA said it may be an injector. I'm skeptical about that myself. My car sits a lot and rarely driven. I know we're not the only ones that have heard this and not sure I've ever heard the definitive explanation.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S | X5
Originally Posted by bhamg
Purple - I think most here would advise not to drive the car until the lifter noise goes away.
While I agree it was pretty minor. It isn't like a severe engine knock, rather a light ticking. Started up the car, let it sit for a few minutes, ticking went away and took the car for a spin. Problem solved.

The exhaust leak on the other hand makes me go a little... well...

Originally Posted by amg4rl
To clarify, I had a ticking about one week ago when I first started my car. Its the first time I had heard it. Drove directly to the dealership and by the time I arrived it quit (only 5 minutes away). I too thought it might be a lifter but the SA said it may be an injector. I'm skeptical about that myself. My car sits a lot and rarely driven. I know we're not the only ones that have heard this and not sure I've ever heard the definitive explanation.
Yup, lifter. At least that is my bet. Especially because of the car sitting and ya dee ya da. Regardless, lesson learned, at least start the car up and let it run for a bit.

I think that is a good general note for all. Cars need to have lubrication and letting them just sit for extended periods of time ends up doing more harm than good. I know some store their cars for winter, would be interested to see how many have lifter issues on first fire up afterwards??
Old 06-13-2013, 03:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 P31 C63 2015 CLA45
I always recommend to drive only after the car hits 600 rpm on idle after it has been sitting.
Old 06-13-2013, 04:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'15 VW GTI
Originally Posted by PurpleHeartAMG
While I agree it was pretty minor. It isn't like a severe engine knock, rather a light ticking. Started up the car, let it sit for a few minutes, ticking went away and took the car for a spin. Problem solved.

The exhaust leak on the other hand makes me go a little... well...

Yup, lifter. At least that is my bet. Especially because of the car sitting and ya dee ya da. Regardless, lesson learned, at least start the car up and let it run for a bit.

I think that is a good general note for all. Cars need to have lubrication and letting them just sit for extended periods of time ends up doing more harm than good. I know some store their cars for winter, would be interested to see how many have lifter issues on first fire up afterwards??
My BS sat for 6 months, fired right up, but with a bit of lifter noise. After a drive, have never heard it again.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 285 Likes on 183 Posts
10 C six trizzle
injector? lol. sure they tick but not obnoxiously loud. Id probably ask a tech and not a SA, maybe a shop forman. I've replaced one injector on a benz in the past 8yrs, it wasnt noisey and it wasnt very new either. it may just be your purge valve they get loud at times and dont change with rpm either.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
2022 E53 SG
hunter roadforce balance is a must.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
Lifter tick isn't a serious mechanical issue. It's more of an annoyance than anything else. Welcome to the car world lol...nothing is perfect and sometimes you gotta live with the little annoyances.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S | X5
Originally Posted by ddcha
hunter roadforce balance is a must.
Been there done that. Except the fact that when you take it to a place they go off OEM spec and not the spec of the aftermarket wheel. Not sure if that makes a difference but can't see how it wouldn't.

wheels should go to a wheel doctor, but it really isn't all that bad. I'm actually trying to sell them, put OEMs back on and use the money for wheels for my 135i. However, if they don't sell I wont be too bummed I just REAAAALLLYYY want these wheels for my 1.