Carbon fiber hood long term

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 09:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E63 amg
Carbon fiber hood long term

Hello everyone,

I know some of you have ordered the cf hood from stone carbon and wanted to ask if you had any long term reviews. I've heard the cf hoods (not necessarily stone carbon) has a tendency to turn yellow over time. Can anyone confirm if this is the case? Thanks so much.,
Old 08-05-2020, 07:23 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Ckim111
Hello everyone,

I know some of you have ordered the cf hood from stone carbon and wanted to ask if you had any long term reviews. I've heard the cf hoods (not necessarily stone carbon) has a tendency to turn yellow over time. Can anyone confirm if this is the case? Thanks so much.,
The previous owner of my car had a standard carbon fiber hood installed using existing mounting and hardware, but had wrapped in in black vinyl. The first thing I did was remove the vinyl to expose the cf hood. This is where I saw the yellowing and what appeared to be a little work to the top of the hood on the passenger side. After doing a little research there were only a couple of options I had if I wanted to keep the hood.

1. Refinish the hood to bring back the original cf look or
2. Paint the hood to match the car.

Ultimately I chose to paint the hood due to the repaired corner. It did take two attempts with the paint as there was not the right amount of hardener in the paint and I saw cracking at the nose due to flexing in the hood. As of right now, knock on wood, it was done correctly the second time and looks OE which I prefer.

All in all I would say do your homework on how to maintain a CF hood and you should be ok.