C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Matte C63 AMG Black Series. Pricey...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 05:51 PM
Administrator

Received 795 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Originally Posted by rage2
If it makes you feel any better, what I really meant was the R8 V8...

haha all good. And you're right, the 507 is definately an alternative, but just not in my case for my wants and needs. I'm just assuming that all BS buyers have the same mentality as me, hence we see a few cars getting dumped out because the owners had no clue what the car was about. One of the local ones got dumped at a $20k loss only to be resold at $10k over for a $30k spread because the owner didn't find it faster in a straight line compared to a standard C63, and the new owner knew what he was getting into and paid over MSRP.

Guessing long term pricing is just that, a guess. I'm still shocked to see the CLK63 BS moving in the 60's. It's fun to speculate and debate though right?
Thank you for clarifying----

As for the CLK BS its almost 6 years old--- the car came out in the fall of 2007 and suffered one severe auto economic landslide in late 2008 and thru 2009/2010. If sticker was 138k (which I think it was)- only depreciating circa 55% is quite good for 6 years.

No recent sales on this car but pricing is still strong:

10/17/12 CALIFORN Regular $72,000 8,911 Avg Black 8CY A No
10/19/12 NEVADA Regular $59,000 21,467 Avg BLACK 8G A No
10/31/12 RIVRSIDE Regular $67,000 24,332 Avg Black NON N No
12/04/12 RIVRSIDE Regular $59,000 36,996 Avg WHITE 8G A No
12/12/12 PALM BCH Regular $66,000 14,513 Avg BLACK 8G A No
12/20/12 NEVADA Regular $62,500 21,802 Avg BLACK 8G A No
01/31/13 PA Regular $63,000 20,185 Avg SILVER 8G A No

© 2013 Manheim. All rights reserved.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:05 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
W205 C43, C204 C63, & Honda Fit
I would be a buyer at $85K. I know of couple of idiots who spent their money on C BS as they thought it would appreciate, calling it an "Investment". LOL

These types of cars are built to be enjoyed. Period. IMO C63 has matured up to its final iteration with the Edition 507. It's way cool, but C BS is Hella cool and comparing P31, 507 and C BS is some what stupid.

We have enough members here and a higher concentration in SoCal. Let's settle this in track.

We can even go as far as running stock cars with same tire compounds. Hell, if we wanted to, we can hire a professional driver and have him/her run lap times.

I predict the C BS would be faster around the track than the 507, which would be faster than the P31, by tenths of seconds.

Who Cares???

Now back to topic. The car is over priced, but I like the color. I would be a buyer at $85K, or $75K CA$H.

Last edited by OC6.3AMG; 07-25-2013 at 07:01 PM.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 C63 Black Series
I know that this thread is a little old, but thought that I would chime in with a little perspective. I would not call myself a BS-fan boy, I am a Porsche-fan boy :-)

The BS has significant body work, wider track, compound brakes, coilover suspension, different wheels, dual wet clutch transmission, the SLS engine internals, etc. To my knowledge, the 507 has some of the same engine upgrades and the BS hood, that's it. Asthetically still looks slab sided which would be the deal killer for me. And mechanically overall its quite different than the BS, no?

I am definitely biased on this topic, as I have a base BS. I could have afforded the car loaded, but I had no intention to track it. To me its too big/heavy of a car to be a true track toy and asthetically I just dont like the look of the wing, etc. I think it looks out of place on this car. To me the value of the BS is all the stuff that comes standard. I dont need a wing, G meter, racing slicks, or decorative carbon fiber spoiler instead of a plastic one. My car based for $109,xxx and I think was a steal at that price. Its listed for sale after about a year of ownership and 6k miles for 99k. Its pristine/as new. I have a firm offer on it for $98k right now. I think it could probably sell for asking or a bit more if I wanted to be patient. If I end up selling it around $10k less than I purchased it, a year later, with 6k miles, I consider that pretty unaffected by the 507. I think my buyer IS a 507 buyer, that notices my pristine BS and realizes they could have it for $10k ish more. I believe that there are plenty people that will want a base BS as a weekend fun toy, not track toy, the same as me.

Last edited by jtrichel; 08-14-2013 at 10:00 PM.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:08 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2016 C63S AMG SEDAN
I will trade my stock taillights for the cracked BS one and other side as well if you buy it. Gotta make it faster and improve handling? What 1.3 HP gain at least and cracked taillight easy offer win win situation?
Old 08-14-2013, 11:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts
C63 BS, GLA45
Originally Posted by jtrichel
The BS has significant body work, wider track, compound brakes, coilover suspension, different wheels, dual wet clutch transmission, the SLS engine internals, etc. To my knowledge, the 507 has some of the same engine upgrades and the BS hood, that's it. Asthetically still looks slab sided which would be the deal killer for me. And mechanically overall its quite different than the BS, no?
Close... the transmission is the same in both cars (automatic w/wet start clutch), SLS internals are in both cars, but the BS has sump vents closed off.

I think it could probably sell for asking or a bit more if I wanted to be patient.
I think patience is the key if you have a clean car, just have to wait for the right buyer. The CLK BS is a great example of a car that moves in the 60's, but you still see clean cars asking crack money in the 80's move after sitting for months. Of course, the CLK BS is a much older car, so clean examples are getting harder and harder to find.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:44 PM

2013 C63 Black Series
I think patience is the key if you have a clean car, just have to wait for the right buyer. The CLK BS is a great example of a car that moves in the 60's, but you still see clean cars asking crack money in the 80's move after sitting for months. Of course, the CLK BS is a much older car, so clean examples are getting harder and harder to find.

Agree, but in the high end car world, frankly $10k depreciation on a $100k car after a year and 5k miles is also not shabby... at least based on lots of interest at my asking price...which I think was set reasonably vs. crazy like the car link in this thread...
Old 08-15-2013, 12:31 AM
SMP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
I know that this thread is a little old, but thought that I would chime in with a little perspective. I would not call myself a BS-fan boy, I am a Porsche-fan boy :-)

I am definitely biased on this topic, as I have a base BS. I could have afforded the car loaded, but I had no intention to track it. To me its too big/heavy of a car to be a true track toy and asthetically I just dont like the look of the wing, etc. I think it looks out of place on this car. To me the value of the BS is all the stuff that comes standard. I dont need a wing, G meter, racing slicks, or decorative carbon fiber spoiler instead of a plastic one. My car based for $109,xxx and I think was a steal at that price. Its listed for sale after about a year of ownership and 6k miles for 99k. Its pristine/as new. I have a firm offer on it for $98k right now. I think it could probably sell for asking or a bit more if I wanted to be patient. If I end up selling it around $10k less than I purchased it, a year later, with 6k miles, I consider that pretty unaffected by the 507. I think my buyer IS a 507 buyer, that notices my pristine BS and realizes they could have it for $10k ish more. I believe that there are plenty people that will want a base BS as a weekend fun toy, not track toy, the same as me.
The brakes are the same ... "compound brakes" means a composition of two materials bolted together ... MCT is the same ... engine internals are the same as well ... and the CBS has only coilovers on the front axle, not the rear. The 507 is pretty close to a CBS
Old 08-15-2013, 12:40 AM
SMP
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black Series
Close... the transmission is the same in both cars (automatic w/wet start clutch), SLS internals are in both cars, but the BS has sump vents closed off.

Those cars are all beaters for that money ... to give you an idea ... someone I know sold his first CLK BS, regretted it and just bought another one with 1600 miles for $92K ... not bad for a car that came out in 2007 ... and btw, he doesn't smoke crack

The fact is ... cars are depreciating assets, not investments
Old 08-15-2013, 01:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 BS, GLA45
Originally Posted by SMP
The brakes are the same ... "compound brakes" means a composition of two materials bolted together ... MCT is the same ... engine internals are the same as well ... and the CBS has only coilovers on the front axle, not the rear. The 507 is pretty close to a CBS
The brakes are bigger on the CBS (15.4" vs 14.2" front, 14.2" vs 13.0" rear). Mechanically speaking, the 507 is identical to the P31 cars. But we've covered that before.

Last edited by rage2; 08-15-2013 at 01:09 AM.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 BS, GLA45
Originally Posted by SMP
Those cars are all beaters for that money ... to give you an idea ... someone I know sold his first CLK BS, regretted it and just bought another one with 1600 miles for $92K ... not bad for a car that came out in 2007 ... and btw, he doesn't smoke crack
That's crack money to me! At $92k, that's definately waiting for the right impulsive buyer. If you have patience as a buyer, you can score clean cars in the 60's and 70's, maybe not as low mileage, but still clean cars.

Originally Posted by SMP
The fact is ... cars are depreciating assets, not investments
Agreed!
Old 08-15-2013, 01:44 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
'16 CLS 63 S
Quick chime in. I would still say the 507 will hurt the resale on the non-aeropackage/track package CBS. True the BS is going to perform much better on a track and probably maintain its value much better. However, for those of us who can't go in and pay cash for that amount, it is much easier to finance a new vehicle than it is an used one. In addition the 507 comes as a sedan, giving it that extra little bit of usability. Not sure when the wife and I are having kids, but with a sedan I won't have to sell the 507 when we do.

I'm sure the dealers will hold onto any BS for as long as possible at the highest price possible. Just like you guys have been saying, you have to be patient. The dealers can be patient too, knowing that someone out there has to have the BS.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:06 AM
SMP
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black Series
The brakes are bigger on the CBS (15.4" vs 14.2" front, 14.2" vs 13.0" rear). Mechanically speaking, the 507 is identical to the P31 cars. But we've covered that before.
You must have missed it ... it was about "compound brakes" ... I was talking about the composition of metals ... they are the same ... both are steel/aluminum
Old 08-15-2013, 11:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 BS, GLA45
Originally Posted by SMP
You must have missed it ... it was about "compound brakes" ... I was talking about the composition of metals ... they are the same ... both are steel/aluminum
Ahh sorry yes. The brakes are the same as the P31/507 other than size.
Old 08-15-2013, 12:46 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
'10 F150 FX4 SCrew. '14 S212S
I thought the P31 had dual cast brakes (one piece) and the P30 and BS (two piece) had the compound brakes.

I don't know what the 507 has.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:27 PM

2013 C63 Black Series
I see all this very differently.

The value/specialness of the BS is not the bolt on wing or carbon fiber chin spoiler. Or even the G meter on Nav. Its the engine, tranny, suspension, brakes, significant bodywork, etc...all the stuff that comes standard on a BS. So the base cars were purchased around $110k. Those same cars at $95-100k lightly used now are only a bit more than a new 507. I think there are plenty people that will pull out an extra few thousand for a low miles BS vs the 507. If for no other reason, exclusivity. On the other hand, if you bought a $140k BS, I dont think that the resell community will want to pay $50k+ more for your options than just buy a 507. I guess this argument very much depends on which side you sit, but I think that the 507 stickering in the $90s makes pristine base BS cars very attractive. But not the loaded up ones.

Last edited by jtrichel; 08-15-2013 at 07:32 PM.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'14 911S (garage queen) '13 X3 (family hauler)
As a real test case here, looking to replace my current p31 with either 2014 991 c2s, 2006 f430 coupe, or CBS--I can say I've been leaning toward the CBS recently, in fact I PM'd jtrichel via the PL about his car (however I only offered $92k) his car looks to be primo condition and very reasonably priced--if it had CF exterior, I think it'd be in my garage already!

Anyway, the 507 does impact my CBS decision, I'm not going to lie. I'm actually upset at AMG for diluting the CBS with the 507. Obviously, we can all agree the CBS is a better car than the 507, but it still sucks some of the exclusivity out of the CBS. And honestly it leaves more uncertainty in my mind about the values going forward on the CBS as the 507s hit the used market next year. I have no illusions of the CBS prices ever going up, but not knowing the near future impact on pricing makes me uneasy. IMO the used 991 and f430 will probably hold their value better than the CBS because of the 507. I'm not Chinese, but I'm still cheap as **** when it comes to spending my blood, sweat and tears

I too am not a huge fan of the wing on the CBS, but I think the aero does add some separation as compared to the 507 versus a base CBS.

One point about the comparison in the 507 versus the CBS pricing I have issue with is the 507 is and will be discounted like any AMG, so comparing MSRP pricing on the 507 to market pricing of a used CBS is flawed IMO. I'm sure the 507 can get discounts ranging from 5-10% without too much trouble.

Anyway, just my .02 as a current buyer in the marketplace, this thread makes my decision ever harder, thanks guys
Old 08-15-2013, 08:53 PM

2013 C63 Black Series
hard to argue with those points, well put, and indeed good data point from someone really in the market... re: the CF bits and wing, those are OEM parts easy enough to add to any BS (and possibly a 507, I am not sure).

If the 507 was available when I bought my BS, I still would have purchased the BS, because the deal killer for me on the "regular" C63 has always been the slab sided rear... but that is purely a personal cosmetic thing.

Only other point I dont agree with is the 991 depreciation. Where I live, they are like Honda Accords...they are EVERYWHERE. The special 991s will hold their value - turbo, GT2/3, RS, etc...maybe even the C4S. But I think standard 991 C2 and C2S cars are just so common that their values will drop like lead.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

hard to argue with those points, well put, and indeed good data point from someone really in the market... re: the CF bits and wing, those are OEM parts easy enough to add to any BS (and possibly a 507, I am not sure).

If the 507 was available when I bought my BS, I still would have purchased the BS, because the deal killer for me on the "regular" C63 has always been the slab sided rear... but that is purely a personal cosmetic thing.

Only other point I dont agree with is the 991 depreciation. Where I live, they are like Honda Accords...they are EVERYWHERE. The special 991s will hold their value - turbo, GT2/3, RS, etc...maybe even the C4S. But I think standard 991 C2 and C2S cars are just so common that their values will drop like lead.
haha, after I wrote that about the 991, I regretted it I think you're 100% spot on, but I'm always amazed by how well p-cars hold their value compared to other marques (notably AMGs) in my neck of the woods at least. I'll rescind my comment and clarify it by saying the CBS and 991 will lose value similarly (hopefully the CBS will hold it's value a little better, but not by much IMO) Also, I put a value on ordering an exact car I want and owning a brand new car versus a used one, albeit a very well cared for used CBS in your case

And I also would not consider a 507 to replace my p31, not that the 507 isn't a great car, it is, but I want something different and a bit special for my next car, just like me

I haven't test drove the 991 yet and I've never owned an AWD car before, SUVs yes, but I love a rear wheel drive car. I will drive the c2s and the c4s to see the difference--one of my buddies who's a car guy thinks I should get the 4S too. I will have time next week before I leave for vacation to drive them all, maybe an f430 too Still haven't driven a CBS....

Last edited by black-clk500; 08-15-2013 at 09:06 PM.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:06 PM
SMP
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black Series
In my opinion, if someone bought a Black Series, whether it's a CLK or C and thought they bought exclusiveness and high resale value, they made a mistake. I'm the first guy to admit, they're all overpriced, including my CLK that I bought in 2007 ... most of the cars I ever bought, in particular the Porsche's (993 C4S, 993TT, 996 Coupe, 996TT, CayenneTT, 997.2TT) were overpriced. On some cars I did ok financially when I sold them, on most I lost my a$$ ... they were all emotional investments

The 507 is no different at $90K ... to be honest, that car makes my F10 M5 a relative bargain at $105K
Old 08-15-2013, 09:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by SMP
In my opinion, if someone bought a Black Series, whether it's a CLK or C and thought they bought exclusiveness and high resale value, they made a mistake. I'm the first guy to admit, they're all overpriced, including my CLK that I bought in 2007 ... most of the cars I ever bought, in particular the Porsche's (993 C4S, 993TT, 996 Coupe, 996TT, CayenneTT, 997.2TT) were overpriced. On some cars I did ok financially when I sold them, on most I lost my a$$ ... they were all emotional investments

The 507 is no different at $90K ... to be honest, that car makes my F10 M5 a relative bargain at $105K

+507 I agree
Old 08-16-2013, 01:32 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
'16 CLS 63 S
I wouldn't have been able to get the 507 if i paid over $80k for it either. Through a partnership between my work and an additional 2% off because we bought my wife a GLK before, I'm getting my 507 at 70. No way I'd be able to get a used CBS at the price. Wife wouldn't be happy with me getting a coupe either, so I don't have to fight that battle either.
Old 08-16-2013, 02:04 AM

In the end, if you love what you bought... who cares. Like what has been said above, none of these cars are gonna be investments. Some may dampen the depreciation hit somewhat, but they will almost always lose money. I love my CBS. I love the 507 (would definitely pursued a sedan if I didn't have an RS4 now). Does the 507 bother me a little? Yes. I think it dilutes the Black Series brand, which is part due to some exclusivity. Does that keep me from sleeping at night or raging? No.

I haven't had a car bring me this much joy in awhile. Its not my DD, so I drive it sparingly. But when I do, I just love it. I'm willing to pay for that anytime.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:20 PM

2013 C63 Black Series
Not sure what all this talk is about investment? NONE of these cars are investments. I have owned RS6, RS4, M3, numerous 911s, etc. They are all depreciating assets. The question of the thread in my mind is whether someone will buy a 507 over a lightly used C BS base car for less than 10-15k difference. I still don't believe that to be the case. But I already voted with my wallet for the BS over a P31, which is basically the 507.

Last edited by jtrichel; 08-16-2013 at 06:25 PM.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:36 PM

Lots
Originally Posted by edwardsflight33
I wouldn't have been able to get the 507 if i paid over $80k for it either. Through a partnership between my work and an additional 2% off because we bought my wife a GLK before, I'm getting my 507 at 70. No way I'd be able to get a used CBS at the price. Wife wouldn't be happy with me getting a coupe either, so I don't have to fight that battle either.
Even with the 2% and the "partnership," a 507 for $70k?

I find that incredibly hard to believe, unless it is stripped down to nothing. That clearly isn't the case in looking at your sig.

Last edited by c63buckeye; 08-16-2013 at 11:48 PM.