Dallas Raceway 8-9-2013

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 05:45 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2016 C63S AMG SEDAN
Nice... do they come with hub centric rings to fit or are you getting those
separately?
I don't know if hub centric rings are required. Are they? I just got them picked up today. I haven't tried to mount yet.

hey jumpinjim... you said there was a c63 with LTs and eurocharged tune
locally... who is it? not many that i know of in dallas with this set up... we
should have a small meet and drink of our own.
What are LT's and if you guys want to meet up sometime sounds cool. I have a car club I started a couple weeks ago. Carrollton Motor Club. We could meet this weekend at that.
https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...g-24-meet.html
Old 08-19-2013, 06:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL63
Originally Posted by bluejae
hey jumpinjim... you said there was a c63 with LTs and eurocharged tune locally... who is it? not many that i know of in dallas with this set up... we should have a small meet and drink of our own.

i checked the DA on 8-10-2013 when you guys went... it was about 2700. that's pretty high.

the highest DA i ran in was 2389 in november 2011. i was running low 12.2s @ 116mph on street tires. and that was when i was still learning how to launch properly.
That would be our buddy jrsjr65 and his amazing Steelers hat. It was really hot the other week, like 88. I think it's that more the temp than DA alone. Fly can correct me if I'm wrong. I kinda have the flu so my brain is a little on the fritz.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:05 PM

SL63
Originally Posted by JRSJR65
I don't know if hub centric rings are required. Are they? I just got them picked up today. I haven't tried to mount yet.

What are LT's and if you guys want to meet up sometime sounds cool. I have a car club I started a couple weeks ago. Carrollton Motor Club. We could meet this weekend at that.
I'm not sure if they require centering rings or not. Discount tire should give them to you at no cost if you need them. They're just little plastic pieces.

LTs would be your headers. Sounds like a fun club. We'll have to stop by sometime, if I can shake this flu.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
'10 C63

i don't know a whole lot about wheel fitment... the offset and spacer crap throw me off... i'm going off what i've read on the internet

our cars bore size is 66.56mm... and the wheels you got i believe are 72mm... so it's bigger... they usually make it bigger so the same wheels can fit a variety of cars with different bore sizes...

if you mount those wheels to your car... then the weight of your car will be all on the lugs instead of the hub... (i'm sorry if i'm not using the correct terminology... i'm going off memory from what i've read)

so to make it hub centric, some wheel companies provide the correct hub centric rings for your cars fitment, or you need to find some elsewhere... perhaps a wheel shop or maybe even discount tire... this way it'll make that 72mm into a 66.56mm and you can mount the wheels... so it should be a nice snug fit and should reduce the possibility of vibrations and such...

LT are longtube headers... from your sig it says you have kleeman headers... i thought they only made shorties but i guess they have LTs now... which do you have? and do you have stock cats, high flow cats, or catless?

and in regards to the meet, i work on saturdays so i wouldn't be able to make it... however, i was planning to go to the meet at the enkei warehouse that same day... supposed to go until 7pm.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:29 PM

SL63
Kleemann offers different ones depending on the car. For the C63 its long tubes. I think they're made by supersprint, but not sure.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 C63
Originally Posted by JumpinJim
That would be our buddy jrsjr65 and his amazing Steelers hat. It was really hot the other week, like 88. I think it's that more the temp than DA alone. Fly can correct me if I'm wrong. I kinda have the flu so my brain is a little on the fritz.
DA takes into account the temp along with other things such as humidity... so i think going by DA would be safer... if the temp is the same and the humidity is higher, then usually the DA is higher...
Old 08-19-2013, 06:50 PM

SL63
Originally Posted by bluejae
DA takes into account the temp along with other things such as humidity... so i think going by DA would be safer... if the temp is the same and the humidity is higher, then usually the DA is higher...
The one thing DA doesn't take into account though is if your particular car is heatsoaked or not. We think that's what's going on. Some more examples would be good though. We'll be out at the track in a few weeks after I get my tune done and I'm no longer dying. Bring your car and jrsjr65 will probably have his out with the new drag radials to try out along with fly 2 nite. Should be a little cooler than last time and we'll see how they all run.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:18 PM

SL63
So if you have 2 otherwise identical cars, but one has a better cooling setup than the other and you run them at the same time its likely the one with the better cooling will be faster. Not because the cooling adds power, but because it prevents power loss due to heat. The 6.2 doesn't have an intercooling system so its more at the mercy to heat than would a different car. That's why you see people putting ice packs on even NA cars at the dragstrip to try to mitigate the heat. Also things like meth injection. All to control heat and prevent power loss. That's why you always hear about the 55k guys complaining about broken intercooler pumps. Although the DA and heat would be the same if you're running with a broken ic pump it becomes considerably slower as it becomes heat soaked as it cant cool the air and the ecu pulls timing to protect the engine. Make sense?
Old 08-19-2013, 08:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 C63
So if you have 2 otherwise identical cars, but one has a better cooling setup than the other and you run them at the same time its likely the one with the better cooling will be faster. Not because the cooling adds power, but because it prevents power loss due to heat. The 6.2 doesn't have an intercooling system so its more at the mercy to heat than would a different car. That's why you see people putting ice packs on even NA cars at the dragstrip to try to mitigate the heat. Also things like meth injection. All to control heat and prevent power loss. That's why you always hear about the 55k guys complaining about broken intercooler pumps. Although the DA and heat would be the same if you're running with a broken ic pump it becomes considerably slower as it becomes heat soaked as it cant cool the air and the ecu pulls timing to protect the engine. Make sense?
Yep. I understand about heat soak. It's more of an issue for FI cars. Obviously cooling will help any car though.

from my experience and some others. The c63 seems to get stronger when hot lapped. I've never iced my car but i've hot lapped it many times. Back to back to back runs and it gets a little faster. Probably adapting to the car being run harder than normal.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:49 PM

SL63
It also keeps the tires warm and your foot "trained"
Old 08-19-2013, 09:31 PM

'13 C63C
My old e63 and current c63 both get faster with hot lapping. I attribute 100% of this to reduced IATs as I'm a traction master just ask JumpinJim and his SL. Don't ask the M5 it lies constantly about everything. Also it's so hot my c63 won't lose traction on a prepped track so that could only leave the IATs.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:56 PM

2016 C63S AMG SEDAN
I got the DR's today. Still in my truck. Thanks for the info guys. I have Kleemann LT headers, ceramic coated, black.
Reading posts bring a couple questions. Is an OEM or aftermarket intercooler upgrade Available? That or any cooling system improvements available? Water meth? Can that be used on an NA engine? I used it on diesel TT truck, basic, efficient operation.

Last edited by JRSJR65; 12-28-2013 at 11:20 AM.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:07 AM

SL63
You can use water meth. Lots of the vette guys do running NA.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:31 PM

SL63
Just dynod the SL for the baseline. Stock non PP 518.6 hp and 542 TQ at the wheels.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 C63
Just dynod the SL for the baseline. Stock non PP 518.6 hp and 542 TQ at the wheels.
so this is the before dyno...

waiting for the tuned results
Old 08-20-2013, 03:15 PM

2016 C63S AMG SEDAN
JJ - What is an average baseline for your car? Those numbers seem pretty impressive to me! cant wait to see what Kleemann tune does for you.

bluejae the DR's are here if you want to check them out. Like I said not sure where everyone lives but everyone welcome to meet up this Sat at car show I have set up... Just got the 62 T-bird in today, I need to flip it so I can buy a Weistec SC!
Old 08-20-2013, 03:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 C63
JJ - What is an average baseline for your car? Those numbers seem pretty impressive to me! cant wait to see what Kleemann tune does for you.

bluejae the DR's are here if you want to check them out. Like I said not sure where everyone lives but everyone welcome to meet up this Sat at car show I have set up... Just got the 62 T-bird in today, I need to flip it so I can buy a Weistec SC!
weistec sc? seriously? wow...another sc c63 in dallas...

have you heard anything about whether you need hub centric rings or not? i did some more reading and some places are saying that the thing about the weight on the lugs are not true. that the force is actually somewhere else. so it's just the matter of getting them centered on the hub during the install.

i'm not sure about our lug nuts but if they are tapered, then a hub centric ring may not be needed since the lug nuts will self center itself while tightening...

edit: tapered

EDIT AGAIN: i think the c63 uses lug nuts not lug bolts. and they are ball seat.
Attached Thumbnails Dallas Raceway 8-9-2013-610-516-001.jpg  

Last edited by bluejae; 08-21-2013 at 12:01 PM.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:51 PM

SL63
Video

Old 08-20-2013, 04:05 PM

SL63

I've no idea. SL's don't usually get a lot of dynos or track time. They're usually just found preening about.

In addition to what bluejae said about lug bolts, make sure you use the right ones. MB uses ball seat lug bolts, but most aftermarket wheels use cone seat bolts. Don't use ball seat on them if so or you could damage the wheels or worse. Discount tire should have told you what bolts are needed for the TSW wheels and got you the bolts if they need cone seat.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 432 Likes on 355 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
The lugs (cone or ball seat) will not center the wheels perfectly without hub centric rings and you will likely experience vibrations at 75 mph and higher. You might get lucky and get them centered perfectly but there is no guarantee. You might not notice it or it might not bother you at the track for rear wheels but on the street and on front wheels it will bother you if you don't get them perfectly centered.

Last edited by Mort; 08-20-2013 at 07:57 PM.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 C63
i've been doing some research on finding the parts i'll need. but i didn't think about possibly needed different lug nuts/bolts. damn, more things to find. it's been a really really long time since i've gotten aftermarket wheels for a car... i had no idea you needed to take all this into account.

- wheels with correct offsets
- tires
- hub centric rings
- lug nuts (i believe the c63 uses lug nuts and not lug bolts.)

Last edited by bluejae; 08-21-2013 at 12:01 PM.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:31 PM

2016 C63S AMG SEDAN
I haven't had time to dive into this yet on the lug nuts. I am going to take the car back up to the same Discount Tire and get all this checked out with them.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 432 Likes on 355 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
The C63 uses lug bolts as do all MB that I am familiar with.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 C63
Originally Posted by Mort
The C63 uses lug bolts as do all MB that I am familiar with.
Ok cool. My mistake.
Old 08-23-2013, 01:37 AM

SL63
The tune is in. Dyno tomorrow at high noon.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dallas Raceway 8-9-2013