C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Moving from C63 to 997 Turbo....experiences?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 05:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 Range Rover Sport SC
Moving from C63 to 997 Turbo....experiences?

Gentlemen,

As much as I love my C63, I've always had a weakness for a 911, and the recent 997 Turbos are coming into a reasonable budget with the release of the 991 Turbos (finally).

However, I do love both the instantaneous throttle response, as well as the sound from my C63 ('12, Coupe). In scanning through 6speedonline.com, several people with C5 and C6 Z06's have commented on how they've missed the Z06's instant throttle response vs the lag from a 997 (.1 or .2) Turbo. Several have even commented on the fact that they would prefer to move back to the Z06 once they're done with the 997 (the comment being, the 997 doesn't "feel" as fast or as exciting as the Z06).

Now, I'm not making a direct comparison between a Z06 and the C63, but in the sense that both deliver a very visceral experience, vs a more clinical experience in the 997. The 911's I've driven have felt pretty quick, but on a brief test drive (and with a Porsche dealer rep beside you....can't push it too far) you don't always get a true sense of what the car is like long-term.

I know we have some people on here with both a C63 (Black Series or not) and a 997 Turbo. Any thoughts on the differences between them?

Obviously the Porsche makes for a better track day car, and has some improved practicality being AWD (not an issue for me....have the RR for winter, as well as the wife's X6). The C63 has a bigger trunk (though I still need to fold down a seat to put my golf clubs in).

So, for those of you that have both (or have had both)....which would you take, and why?

Not having owned a 911 prior (944 Turbo many years ago, but that's it), my fear is that I'd give up my C63 (which admittedly, puts a smile on my face every time I start it) for a car that is technically superior in almost every way, but isn't as raw and untamed as an AMG is.

Any thoughts?

Patrick
Old 08-17-2013, 06:37 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
S550 on order
Originally Posted by Patrick B
Gentlemen,

As much as I love my C63, I've always had a weakness for a 911, and the recent 997 Turbos are coming into a reasonable budget with the release of the 991 Turbos (finally).

However, I do love both the instantaneous throttle response, as well as the sound from my C63 ('12, Coupe). In scanning through 6speedonline.com, several people with C5 and C6 Z06's have commented on how they've missed the Z06's instant throttle response vs the lag from a 997 (.1 or .2) Turbo. Several have even commented on the fact that they would prefer to move back to the Z06 once they're done with the 997 (the comment being, the 997 doesn't "feel" as fast or as exciting as the Z06).

Now, I'm not making a direct comparison between a Z06 and the C63, but in the sense that both deliver a very visceral experience, vs a more clinical experience in the 997. The 911's I've driven have felt pretty quick, but on a brief test drive (and with a Porsche dealer rep beside you....can't push it too far) you don't always get a true sense of what the car is like long-term.

I know we have some people on here with both a C63 (Black Series or not) and a 997 Turbo. Any thoughts on the differences between them?

Obviously the Porsche makes for a better track day car, and has some improved practicality being AWD (not an issue for me....have the RR for winter, as well as the wife's X6). The C63 has a bigger trunk (though I still need to fold down a seat to put my golf clubs in).

So, for those of you that have both (or have had both)....which would you take, and why?

Not having owned a 911 prior (944 Turbo many years ago, but that's it), my fear is that I'd give up my C63 (which admittedly, puts a smile on my face every time I start it) for a car that is technically superior in almost every way, but isn't as raw and untamed as an AMG is.

Any thoughts?

Patrick

Why get rid of something that makes you happy? Why not keep the C63 and get a Porsche also? Never owned a porsche ..I can imagine their fun and all but I feel the same way about my C63..I don't think I'll ever get rid of it for another car...I'll keep the C63 and just get another car. That's just my 2 cents.
Old 08-17-2013, 06:43 PM

2013 P31 C63, 2014 Bluetec ML, 2004 GT3
i can only comment on daily usability of a 911 as i also have a GT3, not the engine dynamics of the turbo.

extra rear seat room and extra doors of the C63 are more livable — opening the rear door to place a briefcase behind the front seat and hang a jacket is a lot more convenient than opening the front truck on a 911 for the same purpose. if this is something you do every day, the C63 is more convenient.

BUT,

the 911 rear engine layout is awesome. nothing else compares once you figure out how to take advantage of it. this is not limited to track. accelerating out of any corner is just awesome as the car hunkers down and goes. i also love the timeless lines of the car. nothing else looks like a 911.
Old 08-17-2013, 06:50 PM

2013 C63 Black Series
I own a C63 Black Series, but in the middle of a transaction to sell it (if all goes through, it is sold). I am selling it to go back to Porsche. I do not own a 997tt, but have driven several. I have owned probably a half dozen Porsches, naturally aspirated and turbos.

The C63 fun to me is in the linear response of the engine, the sounds, snorts, pops, usable torque, rarity, etc. However, to disagree directly with one of the posts, Porsches are FUN. Its a different type of fun. Its like driving a go kart or space capsule. It is a true sports car platform. Low to ground, wide, two seats, light, all kinds of air/mechanical sounds behind you and handles like on rails. It is addictive. I personally prefer the naturally aspirated Porsches to the turbos, but the 997tt is VERY linear on power delivery. I am surprised to hear the comments about lag. I havent experienced lag on a Porsche turbo since the 964 model. Not if you drive it right and keep the revs in the right spot (on boost). Just wall of torque whenever you want it, and unlike the C63, completely confidence inspiring in terms of hugging the road.

One of my favorite statistics on the 997tt... 40-60mph in 2nd gear.... 1 second!
Old 08-17-2013, 08:34 PM
SMP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
I never owned a C63 ... but my CLK63BS is a close enough comparison since they share the same engine. I did own a 997.2TT PDK which I recently sold.

In regards to throttle response, nothing except my F10 M5, comes close to a naturally aspirated engine. Especially one that has over 6 liter displacement. As I already mentioned, my Turbo was equipped with PDK, which is way better suited to the 997's engine characteristics than the MB supplied Automatics with a torque converter and Porsche software. The 997TT needs to be in the right gear to extract all it's potential compared to a C63.

When it comes to handling, the 997TT is better than the C63 due to it's lower center of gravity and more dynamic suspension geometry. The 997TT has also no traction issues hammering it from a dead stop or booting it out of a tight corner. In "race start", it feels like being shot out of a canon . It's pretty much idiot proof driven at 8/10th on a race track. The last 2/10th, however, needs an experienced driver ... no matter how much marvelous engineering went into the car, it's rear engined and basic physics still apply. Feeding in throttle coming out of a turn is more difficult ... the 63's power delivery is progressive, the Porsche's explosive.

I used the 997 as my daily driver. It was softer than my CLK and with the PDK effortless to drive in traffic. Unless it's lowered, getting it in and out of driveways was pretty easy. As far as trunk space and rear seats go, well, they're pretty much useless. I'm 6'1, not even little kids would want to sit behind me. Since the rear seats fold down, they're more useable for storage. Most of the trunk space is taken up by the AWD.

Altogether, it's a great car with lots of performance in every category that can be driven effortlessly on a daily basis.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
97 Porsche GT2 Wide Bodied Cabrio, Mercedes G500
Keep the C63 and buy a Porsche...

I kept mine =Op

But if you had to lose one.... I'd trade up my C63 for a 997 TT anyday of the week. It's a purpose built sports car.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
E55
Do it and I'm certain you will thank yourself! Go for it and don't look back.

Now I love these little C63's........ A lot. Im considering them because they are a really good buy and sound so good. But, A turbo Porsche is a solid 3 levels above. GL!
Old 08-17-2013, 09:43 PM

2011 Range Rover Sport SC
Originally Posted by avery.whss
Why get rid of something that makes you happy? Why not keep the C63 and get a Porsche also? Never owned a porsche ..I can imagine their fun and all but I feel the same way about my C63..I don't think I'll ever get rid of it for another car...I'll keep the C63 and just get another car. That's just my 2 cents.
I already have the Range Rover, and the C63, and my wife's X6....in a four car driveway (no garage, due to buying a 75+ year old house in a heritage neighbourhood....so can't build one). I have no desire to maintain a fourth car that effectively duplicates the C63 (daily driver + toy). It's annoying enough shuffling cars around when I need the RR for something and the C63 is parked behind it.

I like the idea....but from a purely practical basis, it just doesn't work to keep a fourth car in the household.

Originally Posted by esses
i can only comment on daily usability of a 911 as i also have a GT3, not the engine dynamics of the turbo.

extra rear seat room and extra doors of the C63 are more livable — opening the rear door to place a briefcase behind the front seat and hang a jacket is a lot more convenient than opening the front truck on a 911 for the same purpose. if this is something you do every day, the C63 is more convenient.

BUT,

the 911 rear engine layout is awesome. nothing else compares once you figure out how to take advantage of it. this is not limited to track. accelerating out of any corner is just awesome as the car hunkers down and goes. i also love the timeless lines of the car. nothing else looks like a 911.
My C63 is a coupe, so nobody has ever been in the back seat of it either, and my briefcase gets tossed into the trunk or the passenger seat every morning. I'm not too worried about that inconvenience.

And yes, from everything I've heard from friends and co-workers who have one, they all say that once you've had a 911, no other car is like it. Hence part of my reasoning for wanting one.....

Originally Posted by SMP
I never owned a C63 ... but my CLK63BS is a close enough comparison since they share the same engine. I did own a 997.2TT PDK which I recently sold.

In regards to throttle response, nothing except my F10 M5, comes close to a naturally aspirated engine. Especially one that has over 6 liter displacement. As I already mentioned, my Turbo was equipped with PDK, which is way better suited to the 997's engine characteristics than the MB supplied Automatics with a torque converter and Porsche software. The 997TT needs to be in the right gear to extract all it's potential compared to a C63.

When it comes to handling, the 997TT is better than the C63 due to it's lower center of gravity and more dynamic suspension geometry. The 997TT has also no traction issues hammering it from a dead stop or booting it out of a tight corner. In "race start", it feels like being shot out of a canon . It's pretty much idiot proof driven at 8/10th on a race track. The last 2/10th, however, needs an experienced driver ... no matter how much marvelous engineering went into the car, it's rear engined and basic physics still apply. Feeding in throttle coming out of a turn is more difficult ... the 63's power delivery is progressive, the Porsche's explosive.

I used the 997 as my daily driver. It was softer than my CLK and with the PDK effortless to drive in traffic. Unless it's lowered, getting it in and out of driveways was pretty easy. As far as trunk space and rear seats go, well, they're pretty much useless. I'm 6'1, not even little kids would want to sit behind me. Since the rear seats fold down, they're more useable for storage. Most of the trunk space is taken up by the AWD.

Altogether, it's a great car with lots of performance in every category that can be driven effortlessly on a daily basis.
For me, I'm looking at 997s with a 6-speed, though I've driven a couple with PDK (not just the Tip) as well. I like the PDK, and if I was willing to suppress my "save the manuals" mentality, I'd probably take a 997.2TT with PDK. But I love a great heel / toe entering a corner, and Porsche's 3-pedal setup has always been perfect for this. I don't do a ton of daily commuting to the office, and when I do it's because I want to enjoy the drive, so I actually look forward to that part of it.

Thanks for the feedback on CLK63 vs 997TT, since that's about what I was hearing on 6speedonline. I guess the age-old saying of no replacement for displacement still stands.

Hmm....maybe I should sell the RR instead, and keep the C63 and the 997...

Patrick
Old 08-17-2013, 10:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL63
I used to own a 997.2 turbo with pdk. Never owned a c63, but have owned a ton of amgs, 10 in all.

I actually did not like the turbo at all. I only kept it about 7 months. It had a very clinical feel to it. Like it didn't really need you to be there as the computers and technology were doing all the work. It felt very "safe" and boring when driving it. The car seemed to lack any kind of character. The throttle response was good and there was some turbo lag, but it wasn't too bad. The one thing I could never get used to is the lightness of the front end. If you hit a bump at speed the front end would bounce around and you felt like you were losing steering input. It was unnerving after driving front engines cars all my life.

It was quick though. That's about the only good thing I can say. Using launch control with just a tune I would consistently run 10.7 @ 127mph. Ate my tuned biturbo cls63 for lunch. Again though, boring and clinical as the car did all the work you just needed to keep the wheel straight. No technique, no challenge, nothing to improve.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:09 PM
SMP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
Originally Posted by JumpinJim
I used to own a 997.2 turbo with pdk. Never owned a c63, but have owned a ton of amgs, 10 in all.

I actually did not like the turbo at all. I only kept it about 7 months. It had a very clinical feel to it. Like it didn't really need you to be there as the computers and technology were doing all the work. It felt very "safe" and boring when driving it. The car seemed to lack any kind of character. The throttle response was good and there was some turbo lag, but it wasn't too bad. The one thing I could never get used to is the lightness of the front end. If you hit a bump at speed the front end would bounce around and you felt like you were losing steering input. It was unnerving after driving front engines cars all my life.

It was quick though. That's about the only good thing I can say. Using launch control with just a tune I would consistently run 10.7 @ 127mph. Ate my tuned biturbo cls63 for lunch. Again though, boring and clinical as the car did all the work you just needed to keep the wheel straight. No technique, no challenge, nothing to improve.
I agree ... the Porsche you have to stand on it's nose for great turn in, otherwise it understeers like a pig. My CLK has the best turn in of all the cars I've ever owned ... however, it's tail happy as hell compared to the 997. I'm used to rear engined cars. My 993TT was the most difficult to drive. Light front end ... accentuated at speed by the downforce of the rear spoiler ... extremely nervous due the short wheelbase and toe correcting rear axle ... wandering all over the place caused by uneven pavement. Not a relaxing car to drive ... but a lot of fun!

The 997.2TT is a great car, but like you said, almost too good in what it does. I didn't keep mine for too long either.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
507 SEDAN
Everything else seems to be covered well above. Just adding my 2 cents. I actually came from a 997 Turbo to the C63. And I am happy, although very biased towards Porsche. As soon as my daughter is out of her booster seat, I am going back to Porsche with a GT-3, maybe an RS. Just worried about street driving. Anyway:

The C63 is pretty easy to drive with enough time to look over to converse with your passengers and all the driving input is kind of automatic. In simple terms, it's very easy to drive.

When driving my Turbo, I had to pay attention to the road a lot more than my passengers. And it is a car that you need to "work" and pay a lot more attention to other cars, the road issues, and just all-around more of a drivers car that needs you attention. You need to be alert and truly focus on driving, not lounging with some buddies going out to have fun.

Just my take as a previous owner.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 761 Likes on 527 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Get and keep both. They seem to complement each other better than any other two cars I can think of.

I had a (hooligan) 930 in the past that was always trying to kill me, and have driven a number of 997TTs both on and off the track. While the difference between the 930 and the 997TT is night and day in terms of handling and turbo lag, neither had the low-end torque that I really liked, so I now have a (hooligan) 928GT which isn't trying to kill me when I'm not expecting it and also has enough room for the golf clubs.

The Porsches are completely different animals from the C63, and as pure fun machines they're obviously ahead of the Benz, but I find the P-cars somewhat lacking in the refinement department and practicality. Also, the newer Porsches seem to have lost that raw edge that the older cars had, which is quite evident in the 997TT. You're expecting it to go bat$h!t but it just *sits* there, which was almost a let-down. Don't get me wrong - it is a hell of a car, but they have certainly managed to tame it down to the point where IMHO it has lost the edge that made it the icon that it is. It's like a Nissan GT-R.

As for having too many cars, what I would do if I were in your shoes is dump the Rover, use the C63 as a DD and the P-car for fun. Actually, I'd dump the X6 before the Rover, but if it's the wife's car that may not be an option.

Last edited by Diabolis; 08-18-2013 at 01:47 PM.
Old 08-18-2013, 02:13 PM

2010 C63
I have never personally owned a Porsche but my dad has always had them and I have always been a fan. He currently has a 997 turbo, and I would trade my C63 for it. His is a 6 speed car however I would go for the PDK because its faster. I raced him in my tuned C63 from ~40 to 150 and it was dead even, which really surprised me. His car feels so much faster than mine. At around 2500 RPMs the boost really picks up and the acceleration is rapid in first gear you will hit the rev limiter every time if you are not ready. The handling is so much better than the C63 the Porsche feels like it is on rails. They are totally different cars and its hard to compare to the 2 but if I was given the choice I would take the 997 turbo.
Old 12-26-2022, 08:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A45
Drove a 2012 C63 the other day, the pull is so weak even compared to a 2022 A35 I drove earlier. Once you've driven a turbo AMG it's hard to go back not to mention that AMGs are far better value than a Porsche. I get that Porsche handles better but how many of us really drive fast enough or take it to a track to notice the difference? Supra is too old, imo, even though I personally like its look. Better to put your money on a late model Civic Type-R if you want to switch to Japanese.
Old 12-27-2022, 01:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 385 Likes on 258 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
A35? A45 isn't even in the same department as the c63... maybe off the line if you have some traction issues. If you are talking about the feel turbo vehicles often feel faster than the reality of what they are actually accelerating at .
Old 12-27-2022, 03:15 AM

Received 107 Likes on 79 Posts
'12 C63BS "SlickTop", '08 CLK63BS, '16 E63S wagon, '12 CLS63, amongst other non-Merc toys
Originally Posted by Sparrow141
Drove a 2012 C63 the other day, the pull is so weak even compared to a 2022 A35 I drove earlier. Once you've driven a turbo AMG it's hard to go back not to mention that AMGs are far better value than a Porsche. I get that Porsche handles better but how many of us really drive fast enough or take it to a track to notice the difference? Supra is too old, imo, even though I personally like its look. Better to put your money on a late model Civic Type-R if you want to switch to Japanese.

996tt/997tt with BPUs would destroy any A35/A45 with BPUs; off the line, PDK in a 997.2tt STOCK can run sub 3secs; better value? no way, ****** up either 996tt or 997tt at the current value in 2022, neither will lose value like those basic pedestrian AMG 35/45s.

check the date of OP's post date, this was from 2013, no street legal CTR existed in the states back then, and MK4 Supra has been relative for this long and its current value is picking up quick if not taken off already; that FK8 gona keep tanking, especially by the time FL5s are flooding the market, any regular FK8 besides that limited Yellow will take a dive before hitting rock bottom and picking back up 10~15yrs from now.

the right CTR to put your $ on would be a stock low-miles RHD EK9 or FD2 (especially the MugenRR); you might be too young to understand this.

we love the M156s in 204C63 for its sound & the novelty in itself, nothing sounds better, and depends on which spec you get one in, they're recession proof (a black series like mine or a 507).

if i want cheap thrills with pulls, i'd hop in my TM3P daily beater, that stock iPad on 4 wheels w/ a 0-60 in 3.1sec on oem 20" dubs can walk on A35/A45 all day off the line, over and over, i'm surprised you have not experienced that lol
Old 12-27-2022, 08:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 124 Likes on 43 Posts
'94 NSX,'99 NSX Z,'12 C63 Black Series (Prior: '07 E63, '08 CLK63 Black Series,'14 E63-S & 16 C63-S)
Well, I'm pretty lucky to have owned or driven extensively most of the cars being talked about. Currently in a C63 Black Series after going the standard C63 and E63 routes prior, and owned the 911s too. One of my friends even had a highly modified Switzer 997 Twin Turbo with a massive amount of power that I drove more than he did (literally).

First of all, everyone's tastes and what they find excited vary so much, that these threads usually turn into 'no win' pissing contests about people arguing about what they feel is more important or better than the next guy. Here is all that I will say from my little perspective, diluted down to as basic as I can make it.

C63 / C63 Black Series - Both make a lot of muscle car noises that most people don't expect from a German luxury car. The feedback from my passengers and people who I have let drive my cars is that it is a hooligan dressed in a nice suit. Fairly accurate. Lots of creature comforts, and you can truly put (4) people in one to go places.....quickly. Too heavy for track use.

Porsche 911 / 911 Twin Turbo - Deceptively fast because the all-wheel drive just shoots you forward in a relatively flat manner. Some have said that it is the fact that the 911 stays so flat and in control that it may feel less dramatic until you look down and realize you are about to go to jail. This makes sense to me, because the cars that 'feel fast' are usually because they feel slightly out of control. Either from trying to control a fishtail, or because the front shoots up and back squats down and all hell feels like it is breaking loose, or something similar. I never had that with the 911s. They just stayed flat and went forward. Quickly. The back seats are useless if that matters to you. Once my daughter got beyond (8) years old, she was riding in one of our Mercedes instead.

Bottom line. Both cars are amazing weapons for very specialized use cases. I really don't see them being cross shopped because they are so different. But, either way, you are likely to have a good time.
Old 12-27-2022, 11:32 AM

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
I don't understand the comparisons at all. I feel like these are questions people ask when they have no intention of following through.

A 3800 to 4000 pound coupe/sedan (assuming non BS, I don't know what they weigh) compared to stuff like Corvettes (in another recent thread) and Porsches. In what universe are these comparable cars? To top it off the thread is from nine years ago lol.
The following users liked this post:
Diabolis (12-27-2022)
Old 12-27-2022, 11:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 761 Likes on 527 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
A complete noob with an A class resurrects a ~10 year old which-car-is-better opinion thread and we all come back out in full force. Everything that needs to be said has already been said... nothing to see here folks.
The following 2 users liked this post by Diabolis:
BLKROKT (12-27-2022), chrisridebike8 (12-27-2022)
Old 12-27-2022, 02:34 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'21 GT4, ‘11 C63 P31, ‘04 VW .:R32, '88 Chrysler Conquest TSi, ‘15 Ram Longhorn, '
I pulled the trigger on a Porsche earlier this year, '21 GT4 with the N/A 4.0 (not the same as GT3), and couldn't be happier. I will be keeping my C63 for daily duties, family, drag strip fun, but the Porsche is on a different level. I would say the 4.0 in my GT4 pulls with a vengeance to it's 8k redline, the throttle response is amazing and power delivery is linear. If you can, try to keep both, but don't let the P car go.