Sponsored by:

C63 features as one of the worst cars in the history according to Topgear

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 02:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63, C55 (Sold)
Originally Posted by olszowa12
Who gives a crap. We all know what the car is worth.
Lately, I feel like Top Gear's judgement on various cars is made just to be as controversial as possible.
I do enjoy watching the show but I don't treat it is a motorhead's prophecy - it has become a pure entertainment show and lost it's value in my eyes.

Chris Harris on Cars is IMO the best series with spot-on car reviews at the moment.
+1
Old 08-21-2013, 03:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 793 Likes on 545 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Originally Posted by papashango
Which episode is the axe murderer one? Season and Episode? Anyone?
The clip is on YouTube -
Old 08-21-2013, 05:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63, C55 (Sold)
Yeah but on this episode Clarkson praises the C' over the rest. Of course, each one of them try to defend their opinion...
Old 08-21-2013, 05:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 C63 AMG, 2013 B250
Originally Posted by LuisC55AMG
Yeah but on this episode Clarkson praises the C' over the rest. Of course, each one of them try to defend their opinion...
Same as any of the 'comparison' tests on Top Gear. I can only recall one where they ended up agreeing on the best car, may have been one of the recent tests involving a 458 Italia but not sure.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
I can recall an episode where they all agreed on the same car...but it wasn't one that was on the table :p
Old 08-23-2013, 12:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
Those guys are friggin morons....Who cares what they say. I could never stand that show because their opinions nad statements make no damn sense half the time. All they seem to do 90% of the time is whine...this proves just how dumb they are since they praised the c63 back during their first test
Old 08-23-2013, 05:24 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
'16 CLS 63 S
It appears that the C63 BS is on there because of May, the man who thinks it's horrible that any car is developed at the Nurburgring. When the car was reviewed by Clarkson on the show he complained the ride was too harsh and the seats too uncomfortable, but he is old with a bad back.

It really is the two just voicing their opinions on what they don't like, but really focusing on what the other prefers. It's all over-played, but good fun in the end.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2014 E63S Wagon
Originally Posted by Vise_
Same as any of the 'comparison' tests on Top Gear. I can only recall one where they ended up agreeing on the best car, may have been one of the recent tests involving a 458 Italia but not sure.
i think they're all in love with the F Type as well with good reason.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
It's British. That's their minimum requirement.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2014 E63S Wagon
the noble is and the morgan 3 wheeler are british, and not all 3 of them like it :P
Old 08-23-2013, 11:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 Range Rover Sport SC
Originally Posted by Diabolis
The full episode is actually Season 10, Episode 10. There are some pieces in the full episode that aren't on the Youtube clip. It was one of the episodes that led me to buy a C63 as well (though his piece on the CLK63 Black in Season 11 pushed me even further to make the purchase).

Clarkson also did a piece on either the S63 or CLS63 (can't remember which) where he talked about the 6.2L motor in all of them, and the fact that if you wanted an AMG Mercedes, the two best choices were either the C63 or an SLS; anything in between was.....meh.

I have every Top Gear episode...I'll have to see if I can find that clip.

As to the actual show "The Worst Car in the World", it comes out on DVD and Blu-Ray on Sept 17th.

Originally Posted by CPD SLK
Those guys are friggin morons....Who cares what they say. I could never stand that show because their opinions nad statements make no damn sense half the time. All they seem to do 90% of the time is whine...this proves just how dumb they are since they praised the c63 back during their first test
I'd suggest it's more of a British / European view on things. American car culture and European car culture are significantly different, so their views tend to be quite a bit different from the views of us living in North America. Check out the differences between this site and Pistonheads, for example. On PH, the discussion is around great roads to drive on, and top performing cars, track days, etc. Here it seems to be which piece of aftermarket carbon-fibre to bolt on, or which wheels look best, etc. All of which is fine....just highlighting the distinction between how Europeans view their cars vs Americans (including us Canucks in that category).

I have the opposite view....in my opinion, Top Gear (UK) is the best show on TV. Top Gear USA is pretty dumb....they were trying to too hard to replicate the UK show (and there is virtually no chemistry between Faust, Ferrara and Wood). That, and the fact that the show has now basically been turned from being a car show, to being a show about customizing cars.

The C63 isn't everyone's kettle of fish, and the things that you like about the car may be things that other people hate about it. It's a fantastic daily driver, sounds awesome, and is pretty quick in a straight line (and handles reasonably well).

On the flip-side, it only comes with a slush-box, and MCT isn't really much better than the 7G-Tronic before it; the car could use a proper 6-speed manual or true DCT in my opinion. It's questionable on the track (again, it handles well, but it's under-tired), and the limp-mode for the transmission is unacceptable, given it's prime competition against the RS5 / M3. The worst part about the C63 is the resale value though....if you bought one new off a dealer lot, they're getting pounded on resale. One of my co-workers has a standing offer of $15K for my car...I suspect in a couple of years I may consider that a good deal.

Patrick