C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Seat/Bolster Wear

Old 08-29-2013, 12:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
2012 C63 AMG Sedan
Seat/Bolster Wear

So I have a questions for the people who put a little mileage on their Cs (at least 6-7K per year).

I've had my C63 for 1 year and 2 months now and I have put 9008 miles on it. This morning I decided to use the Leatherique Leather Cleaning products on my car and was a little dismayed.

When you get that close into the car and really start cleaning I noticed that there was a small mark, I'd say about 1/4 inch wide by a 1/2 inch long, on the driver's chair bolster that is closest to the door. I understand this is caused by me because I obviously hit it getting into the car (6'4" 250 lbs, not a small guy) despite the fact that i try my absolute best to not site on the thigh bolster or hit the upper back bolster when I get in an out. Despite all my care it is starting to wear.

So I was wondering those of you with older Cs, how is the driver's seat holding up? I am unfortunately very **** about my car's appearance but more so on the interior than the exterior since that's fully in my control.

Also as a note, I am absolutely in love with my Black/White two tone interior, but think this may be the last time I buy a car with a white interior that is a daily. Weekend toy sure, but not a daily, too much worrying about tiny marks and scuffs that are on the white.

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-29-2013, 02:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63, 335i
Mine's a 09 with a bit over 50k miles right now. Same problem as you are describing on the seat bolsters. It shows marks of wear and tear but the leather is still in one piece and no tears or anything. I try to clean and condition the leather with the leatherique products at least once a month and the leather still feels pretty soft and in good condition to me.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C63 AMG Sedan
Originally Posted by Zeee_Q
Mine's a 09 with a bit over 50k miles right now. Same problem as you are describing on the seat bolsters. It shows marks of wear and tear but the leather is still in one piece and no tears or anything. I try to clean and condition the leather with the leatherique products at least once a month and the leather still feels pretty soft and in good condition to me.
Do you have any pics of that?
Old 08-29-2013, 02:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 EQE 43 AMG SUV
Same problem here, bought ocotber 2011. I am seriously considering renewing my bolster..
Old 08-29-2013, 02:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C63 AMG Sedan
Originally Posted by Jycke
Same problem here, bought ocotber 2011. I am seriously considering renewing my bolster..
Is that possible? Just to renew one bolster? How much would that cost?

If this is doable, I won't mind as much since if it does wreck I know I can change that one part out and not the entire seat.
Old 08-29-2013, 03:05 PM

C63, 335i
Originally Posted by SaphGreyC63
Do you have any pics of that?
I only have these on my computer so far but I will try to get some close-ups of the seats current condition this weekend if I get to detailing the car.

Keep in mind that these photos are from May 2012 when the car had 32k miles so the wear wasn't too bad then.

I know some people have gotten the dealership to replace their alcantara steering wheels for abnormally fast wear and tear and if your car is still relatively new and not many miles on it, you could try doing the same at the dealership. There was a member on here who had that done but if I remember correctly, a Mercedes representative actually had to come and inspect and approve the change.
Attached Thumbnails Seat/Bolster Wear-img_4050.jpg   Seat/Bolster Wear-img_4052.jpg  
Old 09-02-2013, 09:15 PM

C63, 335i
So I'm having trouble attaching the files so they are on photobucket.

The car's at 52k miles right now and the seats look like this.

Old 09-02-2013, 10:36 PM

C63
i'm 6'3" and usually around 335lbs. i honestly feel like the stuff i put on my seats once a week is preventing anything from happening. NOW...i don't drive a whole bunch in this car, but still...i'm a large human and imo the seats should be showing a lot more wear than they are. they haven't changed from when i bought the car with 1200 miles on it to now.

i use Optimum Polymer Technologies Interior Protectant. it's a leather smelling liquid. i apply it liberally at least once a week with a foamed cotton applicator. i focus especially on the door-side bolsters but make sure that the whole seat gets the business. you just spray the applicator, rub it in well and that's it. you don't necessarily have to buff it or anything. sometimes if an area is particularly heavy, i'll take the other side of the applicator and lightly spread it around but that's rare.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C63 AMG Sedan
Thanks for the pics ZEE Q and thank you for the info builthatch.

Also thank you to both you for contributing to the other thread in which I commented about the tires. Seems you two are constantly giving me just the answers Im looking for.

As for this I currently use leatherique and it seems to have really restored the white to pure white again and the leather is much more supple. I will try the Optimum one when I run out of leatherique (which should be soon.)

As for the tires you suggested, builthatch have you ever tried the PSS vs the AS/3 before? Everyone and their mother swears by the PSS here but like your rep said and what my tire guy told me the PSS are a little gripper and better in the dry summer (live in CA so its all we basically have) but the AS/3 are much better in the wet and the threadwear rating is 500 vs the PSS 300. Seeing as I am not a track junkie and the car is a daily driver, I am leaning toward the AS/3 just for the threadwear.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:42 PM

C63
Originally Posted by SaphGreyC63
Thanks for the pics ZEE Q and thank you for the info builthatch.

Also thank you to both you for contributing to the other thread in which I commented about the tires. Seems you two are constantly giving me just the answers Im looking for.

As for this I currently use leatherique and it seems to have really restored the white to pure white again and the leather is much more supple. I will try the Optimum one when I run out of leatherique (which should be soon.)

As for the tires you suggested, builthatch have you ever tried the PSS vs the AS/3 before? Everyone and their mother swears by the PSS here but like your rep said and what my tire guy told me the PSS are a little gripper and better in the dry summer (live in CA so its all we basically have) but the AS/3 are much better in the wet and the threadwear rating is 500 vs the PSS 300. Seeing as I am not a track junkie and the car is a daily driver, I am leaning toward the AS/3 just for the threadwear.
no problem! sorry, i haven't. i know the PSS is the heavyweight champ for not only our cars but so many of this class of vehicle. i was at my friend's high line detail shop (Oakes Detail) and the majority of cars in there had PSS or PSC. but Michelin is REALLY pushing the A/S 3 for the reasons you listed on top of the cold weather thing that was important to me. maybe it will get them less warranty claims and they will lose less money? that's the devil's advocate in me but the way i look at it is these tires are DEFINITELY better in the grip department than the OE Pirellis and they should save me the hassle of having to change them as quickly, so i think i've already won.

good luck with whatever you choose.
Old 09-03-2013, 02:14 PM

C63, 335i
Yep no probs. Glad to help a fellow enthusiast out.
Old 09-03-2013, 02:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
C63 AMG P30 *EuroCharged*| Porsche Cayenne | Buell XB9SX
Originally Posted by Zeee_Q
Yep no probs. Glad to help a fellow enthusiast out.
damn, zeee q, your alcantara looks like it's mint condition!
Old 09-03-2013, 03:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C63 AMG Sedan
Originally Posted by builthatch
no problem! sorry, i haven't. i know the PSS is the heavyweight champ for not only our cars but so many of this class of vehicle. i was at my friend's high line detail shop (Oakes Detail) and the majority of cars in there had PSS or PSC. but Michelin is REALLY pushing the A/S 3 for the reasons you listed on top of the cold weather thing that was important to me. maybe it will get them less warranty claims and they will lose less money? that's the devil's advocate in me but the way i look at it is these tires are DEFINITELY better in the grip department than the OE Pirellis and they should save me the hassle of having to change them as quickly, so i think i've already won.

good luck with whatever you choose.
Talked to my tire guy. I can get the AS/3 for $860 and the PSS for $890 for all four. Not much of a price difference. I think I am going to end up going with the AS/3 because reviews on it have been good as far as handling and again, I am not tracking the car where I need every single shred of performance.

Like you I also think they are going to be a step up from the stock continentals on the car so shouldnt be a lose but rather a win win.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:44 AM

C63, 335i
Originally Posted by m a x i m u s
damn, zeee q, your alcantara looks like it's mint condition!
I do my best not to touch it unless I have to and clean it regularly.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:49 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
S550 on order
Pretty sure all C63 owners have this issue...I'm a kinda small guy..5'9ish and 160 and my drivers seat is showing some wear on the bolster..I'm going to try some products you guys suggested.