Bought Sears Diehard Advanced Gold AGM battery - $135.01 before tax

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 05:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 81 Posts
C63 AMG
Bought Sears Diehard Advanced Gold AGM battery - $135.01 before tax

I decided to replace the OE C63 Group 49 battery before its time and put that in the family Audi. While searching online I checked out Sears and found the Diehard AGM for $135.01 during their Labor Day sale, before tax and core charge. (My core charge was waived but that's another story.) Needless to say I bought it. It's identical to the factory battery - both weigh exactly the same down to the ounce - and Johnson Controls make virtually all the AGM batteries sold/supplied in the U.S. under various labels. I was going to post this on Mon. night when I got back but the sale was already over, however it was the lowest price by about $30 that I've ever seen for a group 49 AGM battery and I'm sure the sale price will be repeated at some point.
Old 09-07-2013, 05:42 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
'09 C63
How did you swap the batteries? I always thought that you needed something to stabilize the voltage before disconnecting the battery, otherwise some of the electronics may malfunction due to insufficient/lack of voltage?
Old 09-07-2013, 06:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2009 C 63
how did the swap go ?.
Old 09-07-2013, 06:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
The actual swap is easy. I wanted to do it myself because of subwoofer wiring to the positive terminal but just remove the trunk floor cover and it's all exposed. You'll need 10mm (for the terminals) and 13mm (for the clamp) sockets or wrenches. Be sure to reattach the vent tube on the left (front) side of the battery and to plug the corresponding hole on the right (back) side. You'll probably have to take those fittings off the old battery. It's a five minute job.
Old 09-07-2013, 06:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by tfthach13
How did you swap the batteries? I always thought that you needed something to stabilize the voltage before disconnecting the battery, otherwise some of the electronics may malfunction due to insufficient/lack of voltage?
I connected a Battery Tender Junior float charger to the engine compartment charging terminals during the installation...works like a charm.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2009 C 63
thanks
Old 09-08-2013, 03:51 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
'09 C63
Originally Posted by bhamg
I connected a Battery Tender Junior float charger to the engine compartment charging terminals during the installation...works like a charm.
Sweet! Good to know, thanks!
Old 09-08-2013, 10:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 AMG
They are excellent batteries. The gold and the platinum series.

They are however NOT made by Johnson Controls (luckily).

They are made by Oddysey batteries and they are VERY good batteries, unlike the junk tha JC makes.

Johnson Controls single handedly ruined one of the best batteries you could but, the Optima. Once JC bough them and moved their production out of the US the batteries went to crap.

I have used the "diehard" AGM in several applications including diesel trucks and on my Jeeps with huge winches and they don't miss a beat even when getting bounced around like crazy in a rock crawler!
Old 09-08-2013, 12:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Heath T
They are excellent batteries. The gold and the platinum series.

They are however NOT made by Johnson Controls (luckily).

They are made by Oddysey batteries and they are VERY good batteries, unlike the junk tha JC makes.

Johnson Controls single handedly ruined one of the best batteries you could but, the Optima. Once JC bough them and moved their production out of the US the batteries went to crap.

I have used the "diehard" AGM in several applications including diesel trucks and on my Jeeps with huge winches and they don't miss a beat even when getting bounced around like crazy in a rock crawler!
Fantastic if true. I read a press release back when from Enersys (sp? - the mfr of Odyssey batteries) which referred to the arrangement with Sears in which they specifically mentioned only the Platinum line of Diehards as being supplied by Enersys, not the Advanced Gold line.