C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

newly upgraded to a c63 and had a engine scare

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 12:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 e63s wagon
newly upgraded to a c63 and had a engine scare

hey everyone, I'm new to the Mercedes world, just upgraded to a '13 C63 sedan from a Lexus IS-F and love the car immensely. Today though I had a bit of a scare. The last couple days I have put about 300 miles on the car driving from Roseville to Monterey then to Half Moon Bay and back to Roseville, for the Mrs. birthday. After we came back home I dropped her off at work and left to go do some errands, the engine stalled on me. I have about 2800 miles on it and have only put in 91 octane chevron so for the life of I can't figure out what caused the stall. I was in the middle of making a left hand turn when the motor stopped and had to steer the car without power steering. All the electronics were still working as well, dashboard just lit up like a Christmas tree though. After I got the car pulled over and stopped I was able to start the car no problem and then immediately drove with no issues at all. Sorry for this long winded post but as you can imagine this something that I want to get fixed before something bad happens.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:31 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
S550 on order
Originally Posted by dymelos
hey everyone, I'm new to the Mercedes world, just upgraded to a '13 C63 sedan from a Lexus IS-F and love the car immensely. Today though I had a bit of a scare. The last couple days I have put about 300 miles on the car driving from Roseville to Monterey then to Half Moon Bay and back to Roseville, for the Mrs. birthday. After we came back home I dropped her off at work and left to go do some errands, the engine stalled on me. I have about 2800 miles on it and have only put in 91 octane chevron so for the life of I can't figure out what caused the stall. I was in the middle of making a left hand turn when the motor stopped and had to steer the car without power steering. All the electronics were still working as well, dashboard just lit up like a Christmas tree though. After I got the car pulled over and stopped I was able to start the car no problem and then immediately drove with no issues at all. Sorry for this long winded post but as you can imagine this something that I want to get fixed before something bad happens.

Mines done this before...who knows..it's fine...just cycle it and beat on it a bit...she'll be fine
Old 10-24-2013, 01:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
This has occurred to me once and only once. It was after a whole day or driving and I was cruise through San Mateo at like 35 mph. I cycled it back up and everything was fine. No codes stored. It could just be a short under 1/1,000,000 conditions.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
C63 AMG P30 *EuroCharged*| Porsche Cayenne | Buell XB9SX
I had something similar happen. I was waiting to make a left and the engine felt like it was going to stall, but didn't. after I turned, I got to my destination and turned it off. later, I started it back up and haven't had any issues since.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:58 AM

'13 C63 Sedan
Originally Posted by dymelos
Same happened to me, but on the freeway yesterday... I was going 70 mph+ and it scared the **** out of me because the brakes locked up as well. (every single little icon popped up, kind of like when you press the ignition without pressing on the brakes, or turning the key halfway) Luckily, nothing happened.. My car is at the dealer right now. I'll probably know tomorrow what happened!
Old 10-24-2013, 02:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
C63 AMG P30 *EuroCharged*| Porsche Cayenne | Buell XB9SX
Originally Posted by Homie C63
Same happened to me, but on the freeway yesterday... I was going 70 mph+ and it scared the **** out of me because the brakes locked up as well. (every single little icon popped up, kind of like when you press the ignition without pressing on the brakes, or turning the key halfway) Luckily, nothing happened.. My car is at the dealer right now. I'll probably know tomorrow what happened!
holy cow ... hope you didn't get whiplash.
Old 10-24-2013, 02:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 286 Likes on 184 Posts
10 C six trizzle
theres an issue with some of the relays on some vehicles. its like 4 of them, the probably is trying to duplicate/verify the problem and get it to re-occur.
Old 10-24-2013, 02:41 AM

'13 C63 Sedan
Originally Posted by m a x i m u s
holy cow ... hope you didn't get whiplash.
no whiplash at all. The car kept moving forward, gradually slowing down due to no response from throttle. I threw it in neutral and slowly made my way to the emergency lane while pressing the brakes really hard because it was locking itself out. I just hope it doesn't happen again.. it's a pretty ****ty feeling. It's scary lol
Old 10-24-2013, 10:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts
C63 coupe, Z3M Roadster garage queen
Homie - "brakes locked up" usually means that all four tires were sliding because the brakes were fully engagedand the car was skidding to a sudden stop. I presume that's not what you meant - I'm guessing that you mean the brakes were not working very well despite you pushing on them hard. Is that correct?
Old 10-24-2013, 11:05 AM

'13 C63 Sedan
Originally Posted by zcct04
Homie - "brakes locked up" usually means that all four tires were sliding because the brakes were fully engagedand the car was skidding to a sudden stop. I presume that's not what you meant - I'm guessing that you mean the brakes were not working very well despite you pushing on them hard. Is that correct?
yes you are right. they were working, but i had to press on them pretty damn hard to even get my car to slow down.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63 507, 911 Carrera, Range Rover, Disco
Interesting timing on this post. Happened to me this morning in my new 507...gassed it up and ran it through the touchless car wash to get some grime off...sitting there playing with the radio and then it just quits...

I am like wtf? Then I was thinking about the hood vents and was like wtf...did water get into the engine?

Anyway - started right back up...no more issues on the drive into work.

I have about 250 miles....
Old 10-24-2013, 11:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts
C63 coupe, Z3M Roadster garage queen
Originally Posted by Homie C63
yes you are right. they were working, but i had to press on them pretty damn hard to even get my car to slow down.
Thanks - that makes a lot more sense. I had visions of all four tires suddenly locking up and you sliding to a smokey stop in the middle of the interstate! Glad to hear that's not what happened.

Any time the engine dies you no longer have power for the power-assisted brakes, and it takes a LOT more pedal pressure to slow down. The same is true of your power steering - once the engine stops, it takes a lot more effort to turn the steering wheel. Both are things you need to be thinking about if your car ever dies while it's in motion.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 Mini Cooper S Clubman ALL4 - British Racing Green
This is something that needs to be reported to MB, and possibly NHTSA. This is a serious issue, and potentially life threatening (when making left turns especially).

It happened to me one as well.

Not sure if it may be related to the steering column issues some people have had. Mine was actually replaced due to the car dieing and refusing to start, oddly while it was at the shop getting the self immolating brake lights fixed.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:48 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts
'16 C63-S
Happened to me on the freeway too with my CL. I threw it on neutral and took off the keyless button and restarted the car manually... Scary as hell. I was on the far left lane.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:50 AM

One thing I was thinking was related to keyless go - everyone in the thread have that? I do.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:06 PM

'13 C63 Sedan
yes keyless go. car started just fine after i pulled over too. Only have 7000 on the car as well
Old 10-24-2013, 12:14 PM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts
'16 C63-S
I don't think it has anything to do with keyless.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 Mini Cooper S Clubman ALL4 - British Racing Green
I have the regular key
Old 10-24-2013, 12:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
No keyless go.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by - Guilty -
I don't think it has anything to do with keyless.
Me either....now

Worth a shot...
Old 10-24-2013, 01:30 PM

'13 C63 Sedan
WELLLLL THEN... guess were all doomed. I'll see what my dealer says today when I get the car back
Old 10-24-2013, 01:48 PM

09 C63
this has happened to me, after a long drive car stalled at the traffic lights. unfortunately in my case the car would not restart, called MB road side assistance, they walked me through a number of diagnostic steps with no luck. had the car towed to the dealer. car starts first time for the dealer, no error codes. this happened about 2 yrs ago with no repeats thankfully. mine is an 09 (unmodified).