C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

"Check Coolant Level" - Take to dealer or DIY?

Old 11-04-2013, 02:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 C63 w/ P30
"Check Coolant Level" - Take to dealer or DIY?

Got the dreaded "Check Coolant Level" message this morning. I'm asking your advice as to whether I should take it to the dealer and have them check and/or fill it, or just pick up the coolant and do it myself. I know this message is usually the first sign of the headbolt issue, and my engine is in the affected group.

While I think it's silly to have to schedule an appointment and be without my car for the better part of a day for something that is going to take them only a few minutes to find & fill, I also know that documentation is crucial if I end up further down this path and need to make a warranty claim related to the head bolts.

My plan right now would be to buy coolant from my dealer, keep the receipt, monitor what the loss rate is, and actually drop it off if the message comes back up.

Thoughts?
Old 11-04-2013, 03:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
2022 E53 SG
makes sense to me.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:00 PM

09 C63, 11 Cayenne S
Have them do it my friend...they can always say you didn't do it properly, therefore denying any claim. believe a day without your cra is nothing...I had the coolest issue done on my car and cane to find out it was the head bolt issue. all the repairs were picked up by MB Canada, and was without my car for a month in the summer time in Toronto....that hurt
Old 11-04-2013, 05:01 PM

09 C63, 11 Cayenne S
Sorry about that sentence....f'ing auto correct
Old 11-04-2013, 05:37 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
'09 C63
Take it in. I'm at my dealership right now for the same problem. They just told me it was the coolant cap that wasn't holding pressure. They simply replaced it. They checked for the headbolt as well and that wasn't the issue.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:51 PM

C63 AMG Edition-507, C32 AMG (Sold), E55 AMG (Sold)
Have it checked out by the dealership

If your car is still under warranty, have it checked by the dealership. That is what the warranty is for. Having to be without your C63 AMG temporarily is a much better option than further damaging the car and any subsequent denials by the manufacturer for any repair claim due to "negligence."

If your car however is out of warranty, I suggest you still bring it to the dealership for assessment and get a second opinion on a reputable German Car Repair shop. This way you know for sure if their assessment are aligned that, that is really the problem (head bolt issue). Hopefully it is just a seal or a lose radiator cap gap. Good luck!
Old 11-05-2013, 07:46 AM

‘15 E63S Wagon, '09 C63, '86 911, ‘10 RR Sport SC, '07 S4 Avant
C'mon guys. Seriously?
The OP simply needs a little coolant. It happens.
Put some in (himself, not the dealer) and forget it.
If he has the headbolt issue (extremely unlikely), he'll know soon enough.
Right now all he needs is some coolant. That's it.
What's next? Tire pressure down a few pounds means a cracked wheel?
A little common sense please everyone.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
2022 E53 SG
It's normal for coolant levels to dip a little when it's very cold out. It happened every winter with my GL450. I also had to top off my coolant for my C63 last winter when it was 5 degrees outside. Haven't had any issues since. But I just realized you were in Cali. I'd get it checked.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:57 AM

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
2010 C63
My engine is in the affected group as well and I got that warning about two months ago. I followed the Owner's Manual for adding coolant - and haven't seen the light since. My thoughts . . . do it myself first, then if issue persists take it to the dealer.
Old 11-05-2013, 10:17 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
'09 C63
Originally Posted by jaykato
C'mon guys. Seriously?
1. The coolant is a closed system, meaning if the levels are low the coolant must be going somewhere. Adding coolant just masks the problem.

2. Low levels of coolant has been correlated to the headbolts going bad. Would you rather him chance it and have a headbolt snap while he's driving?

3. He's still under warranty; why the hell wouldn't you get it checked out?

4. Low tire pressure can mean there's a slow leak in the tire. What are you going to do? Fill it up with more air and hope it goes away?

To the OP, I would rather have it taken in and have peace of mind rather than always wondering if there is a problem.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
07 E63 + 07 CLK63CAB
Take it in, peace of mind at the very least, also will show a record if needed to prove previous issue with coolant. I call it insurance for the future. Go test drive cars while yours is in
Old 11-05-2013, 01:12 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
S550 on order
time to trade it in and get a 14
Old 11-05-2013, 05:01 PM

SpeedRiven SL V12TT, ML320CDI
Originally Posted by tfthach13
1. The coolant is a closed system, meaning if the levels are low the coolant must be going somewhere. Adding coolant just masks the problem.

2. Low levels of coolant has been correlated to the headbolts going bad. Would you rather him chance it and have a headbolt snap while he's driving?

3. He's still under warranty; why the hell wouldn't you get it checked out?

4. Low tire pressure can mean there's a slow leak in the tire. What are you going to do? Fill it up with more air and hope it goes away?

To the OP, I would rather have it taken in and have peace of mind rather than always wondering if there is a problem.
1. - Since when is coolant a closed system ?! There is a drain hose from the expansion tank on every vehicle I saw at my shop. When weather is hot, your engine is actually reaching higher temperatures so coolant expands and small amount is dispensed through that hose. When it gets cold again, you need to add that amount back. The reason it does not happen on other cars is size and form of expansion tank on MBs plus location of that coolant drain hose.
Just add the coolant and move on. Being doing this for all my MBs every year for the last 10+ years...

2. - If you are constantly loosing coolant, that is a different story and does indicate a problem.

3. - Because you will be billed for any non-warranty related diagnostics/service.

4.- Get the gage and check the tire pressure. Compare to what is specified and if it is the same, might indicate issue with tire pressure sensor so take it in. If you are just loosing air, this will be a non-warranty issue so get an empty spray bottle, put a little dishwashing soap and top-up with water, inflate the tire to around 60 psi. Spray all around the tire - bubbles will indicate where the air leak is...

Igor.

Last edited by igor; 11-05-2013 at 05:29 PM.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
Are you sure there is a venting hose on the expansion tank? Isnt that the purpose of the tank?

I remember taking the cap off the tank whike it was warm and it was under pressure... not sure how it would pressurize with a vent tube attached?
Old 11-05-2013, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Merc63
Are you sure there is a venting hose on the expansion tank? Isnt that the purpose of the tank?

I remember taking the cap off the tank whike it was warm and it was under pressure... not sure how it would pressurize with a vent tube attached?

I am sure. There is actually a valve on the venting hose and this is why you saw the pressure. Remember that there are no radiator cups on many vehicles so valve is on the hose. It is a bit more complicated than that, but there is a venting hose 100%.

Last edited by igor; 11-05-2013 at 05:44 PM.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:51 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
CLS63S
I got that light about 6 months ago, added fluid to my window washer fluid, and it never came on again.

Headbolt failures arent as common as we think.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by johnnyblaze
I got that light about 6 months ago, added fluid to my window washer fluid, and it never came on again.

Headbolt failures arent as common as we think.
Huh ? What does window washer fluid has to do with coolant ?
Old 11-05-2013, 09:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 285 Likes on 183 Posts
10 C six trizzle
Originally Posted by igor
Huh ? What does window washer fluid has to do with coolant ?
most would assume nothing... however there is a loop in it that runs coolant through the washer tank to warm it up. ive seen a car leak coolant and cause the washer tank to over flow. not that this has anything to do with what we are talking about. Yes it is a sealed system however it will evaporate on its own some how, just like power steering fluid. If your topping it off more than once every service there is probably some sort of issue. Yes lots of techs are lazy and dont do it, but you never know.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:04 AM

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 ML 350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by jaykato
C'mon guys. Seriously?
Agree, before citing chicken little (the sky is falling) more diagnostic info is needed. Might be just normal fluid top up, if you want to CYA you might discuss with the dealer so it is on record.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by roadtalontsi
most would assume nothing... however there is a loop in it that runs coolant through the washer tank to warm it up. ive seen a car leak coolant and cause the washer tank to over flow. not that this has anything to do with what we are talking about. Yes it is a sealed system however it will evaporate on its own some how, just like power steering fluid. If your topping it off more than once every service there is probably some sort of issue. Yes lots of techs are lazy and dont do it, but you never know.
My question really was - how would topping washer fluid raise coolant level ?
Old 11-06-2013, 09:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 285 Likes on 183 Posts
10 C six trizzle
i know what you meant just thought id share.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by roadtalontsi
i know what you meant just thought id share.
You would be better off topping up the engine oil as it can get into the coolant due to bad headgasket and raise the coolant level. Still cannot find the connection between coolant and washer fluid...
Old 04-29-2016, 01:21 AM

Mercedes Benz C63 AMG
dayum

Last edited by VanC63; 04-29-2016 at 05:05 PM.
Old 04-29-2016, 01:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 846 Likes on 594 Posts
E63S | X5
Originally Posted by VanC63
I got a 2010 MB C63 also and Ive had the light come on yesterday so I filled it up with MB coolant. 15 mins of driving all the coolant was gone and car shut down. Does this seem like a headgasket issue?
Seems like a headbolt issue and you've potentially lost your motor.

Check out the FAQ sticky, spend some time reading the headbolt threads, but you may want to brace yourself for a long road ahead.
Old 04-29-2016, 01:29 AM

Mercedes Benz C63 AMG
Originally Posted by PurpleHeartAMG
Seems like a headbolt issue and you've potentially lost your motor.

Check out the FAQ sticky, spend some time reading the headbolt threads, but you may want to brace yourself for a long road ahead.
Thats the worst reply I was looking forward to reading lol. Is there any recalls on this head bolt issue?

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: "Check Coolant Level" - Take to dealer or DIY?