Old 12-03-2013, 12:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 CTT-S
RIP Brian O'conner
Old 12-03-2013, 08:01 AM
SPONSOR

Received 130 Likes on 114 Posts
OE Tuning C63 AMG
What a tragedy and sad loss. I am very fortunate to have worked very closely with Paul and Roger, hanging out at the track and tuning many cars with them over the years. These were two of the best guys around. I still can't believe it happened..... What a shock! I miss you both Paul and Roger, you guys were role models and great human beings that have left an everlasting impression on my life.
R.I.P. You will never be forgotten.

Last edited by SALES@OETUNING; 12-03-2013 at 12:13 PM.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 AMG
I was never able to fill that 3rd slot of "if you could have lunch with 3 people, who would they be?". I just figured it out. Not because of his fame, but because he lived a life any car enthusiast would enjoy living and because who he was as a person. As time begins to pass, more stories of his kind heartedness are unveiling, what a human being, friend, and family man. Great role model!
Old 12-03-2013, 01:02 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
G63, C190 AMG GTC, W209 CLK63 BS, W208 CLK430
It amazes me how we knew so little about him until now, it's sad to think about but I'm 100% there with you. He became someone I wanted to meet once I knew that I couldn't
Old 12-03-2013, 03:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
I was able to pinpoint exactly where the crash happened on google earth. It would seem they made a right out of the Always Evolving parking lot, made another right onto Kelly Johnson Parkway where it then turns into Hercules Street after the first bend. Looks to me like they were carrying too much speed around that bend and began over-steering as the *** end came out, the CGT's door on Paul's side hit the light pole (with the google earth speed limit reading 35mph on the light pole, to now currently read 45mph as the speed limit was just increased on those roads), went through the pole and stopped as it hit the tree behind it.
Pure speculation, but as much as it kills me to say, after seeing the objects in their path, I would have to say the collision did not take their lives. Small diameter pole and tree, the Porsche didn't stand a chance, especially where it hit on the car, but the resiliency of a human, I think could have taken that hit and survived, depending on the safety of the capsule they were in. Terrible way to go, if I am in fact correct.
Not a forensic genius, but logic tells me the mid-mount engine was the key factor in these tragedies.

Last edited by Autosport7; 12-03-2013 at 03:49 PM.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
FF. W212 E63 M156 non-pano 18" P2 ParkT NightV (gone but will be missed).
Despite the price, all these "super cars" really don't have any safety testing from IIHS, NHTSA, and various NCAPS. Thus the safety of those cars in a crash is highly questionable when compared to, say, a more common car ie C-Class, Camry, Accord, etc. Sure, they have this ultra strong carbon fiber occupant shell, but it's the same as sitting in a super rigid solid metal container flying into a wall at high speed.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:13 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
C63 AMG
the car has
front and side airbags for both sides
titanium side impact bars

the car had euro and TUV safety testing which is far more stringent than anything done in the US

Built to be extremely rigid and lightweight, the Carrera GT’s carbon-fiber chassis weighs only 220 lbs. Porsche used steel reinforcements for the car’s windshield, along with steel and aluminum crash absorbing structures at the front and rear of the car. Steel tubing was also used to reinforce the doors.
The fuel tank was centrally located, in a special aluminum drawer in the chassis located between the passenger compartment and the rear engine bay. This central location is used in many racecars, since it helps shield the tank from severe frontal or rear impacts.

Porsche ended production of the Carrera GT in late 2005, due partly to new airbag regulations that were due to take effect in the U.S. These new “smart” airbags could sense the weight and location of an occupant, and vary the strength and size of their inflation based on these measurements.
With a limited-production supercar, it didn’t make sense for Porsche to re-engineer the Carrera GT – especially as the automaker had already sold close to the original projection of 1,500 units.
It’s hard to imagine in this instance, given the obvious severity of the collision, that any form of smart airbag would have made a difference.
We might never know for certain all the events that caused this terrible accident. But speculation that the car involved was inherently unsafe, or not suitable for roads, is completely baseless and inaccurate.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/autos/pau...#ixzz2mSr3D2KI
Old 12-03-2013, 09:28 PM
Banned

C63 AMG
just looked at the google map of the crash location and compared it against pics of the memorial site and the wreck
look at the 3 branched tree for reference (smaller in google)

the pole they hit appeared to be concrete and did not have a breakaway base

and they hit a natural gas service (?)

Last edited by Ingenieur; 07-16-2014 at 05:23 PM.
Old 12-04-2013, 01:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 Mini Cooper S Clubman ALL4 - British Racing Green
The plumbing you see is a sprinkler line, not gas, already been ruled out.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:05 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 169 Likes on 118 Posts
E90 M3, F80 M3, C63 507, F90 M5
RIP Brian O Conner. We all lost a brother this weekend.

#raceinpeace
Old 12-04-2013, 11:41 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C63; 2011 E350 Coupe
Originally Posted by norb
Terrible news, but the Carrera GT has a reputation as a widow maker. No nannies to help you out.
When the Carrera GT first came out, I was a member of a 911 Turbo forum. One of the members just bought a Carrera GT and he didn't last a week before he had a deadly accident. Killed both him and a passenger.

I think you are right about the nannies or lack thereof.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:42 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

According to E! News, they talked to people at the charity event and said that Paul/Roger were actually taking the car for a test drive because they had been trying to figure out an issue with the vehicle. Paul's last words apparently were, "We'll be right back"

My GF recorded it for me so I watched E! News last night for the first time ever

-Arsha
Old 12-04-2013, 12:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Jim Torp (a supposed friend of theirs) who was at the event said they were on their second lap around the loop surrounding the shop, I wonder if the first lap was driven by Rodas and a second lap was had to allow "Brian" to take the driver's seat to give her a shot...?
That Carrera GT was supposedly sold, they were just out taking her for a spin before it went down the road with the new owner.
Man I wish they had stopped after lap one!
Old 12-04-2013, 12:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
"Man I wish they had stopped after lap one" - After further thought... I guess if there was a malfunction, someone was going to be at the mercy of that car, whether it be them, or the new owner. Hell without a malfunction someone was bound to be injured or worse in that car as to how it is described by professionals who know the machine.

My father always told me, "respect the machine as the machine doesn't feel pain."

When I first bought the C63, I was already looking into tunes. My friends all told me, "Why not get used to the power it already has first, then upgrade?" I said "Why the hell would I do that, I want to get used to the power it will have after the tune so I'm not surprised when the additional power hits.". I am a spirited driving fool when I get in that highly bolstered seat that makes me feel like I am at the track, but I also understand the throttle goes both ways. Gotta respect it, understand it, and appreciate it. Power comes with a lot of responsibility, in this case whoever was driving took the life of another, from what seems like a lack of understanding the power in which they were in charge of (maybe).
Old 12-04-2013, 01:55 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 169 Likes on 118 Posts
E90 M3, F80 M3, C63 507, F90 M5
Originally Posted by VividRacing
According to E! News, they talked to people at the charity event and said that Paul/Roger were actually taking the car for a test drive because they had been trying to figure out an issue with the vehicle. Paul's last words apparently were, "We'll be right back"

My GF recorded it for me so I watched E! News last night for the first time ever

-Arsha
Old 12-04-2013, 02:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 846 Likes on 594 Posts
E63S | X5
Autopsy shows he died from thermal trauma. AKA the crash didn't kill him but the fire did. That is probably the worst of it all.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:47 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
C63 BS, 2011 SLS, 2014 CLS63-S
This is still so hard to believe. Paul was certainly top of my list of celebs I would like to hang with. Really, really sad!!
Old 12-04-2013, 04:06 PM

KTM 200 xcw
So it seems that P cars are notorious for this as Ryan Dunn suffered the same exact COD.
http://www.ibtimes.com/blunt-thermal...s-death-292941

I've seen Vettes absolutely decimated and the passengers walk away, not all but most.
Old 12-04-2013, 04:18 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
R8, C63, C300
Paul Walker was best known for his action-packed films, but many are remembering the late actor, who died on Saturday in a fiery car crash, as a big softie with a huge heart.
During the holiday season several years ago, the "Fast & Furious" actor walked into Bailey Banks and Biddle Jewelers in Santa Barbara, California, and, according to sales associate Irene King, what happened next was practically out of a feel-good Hollywood movie.
King told CBS Los Angeles that an associate nudged her and said, “There’s Paul Walker.”
“Oh, OK, yeah,” King replied with a smile. “I said, ‘Yeah, he’s a nice-looking man.’”
Walker was browsing for bling at the same time as a soldier who had just finished his first tour of duty in Iraq, and was looking at engagement rings with his fiancée.

Paul Walker was just a genuine guy. (Splash News)

According to King, the pair saw a ring set they liked, but it was way too expensive and boasted a hefty $10,000 price tag.
In comes Walker. The blue-eyed actor called the store's manager and told him to put the ring that the couple was looking at "on his tab," but to keep his identity hidden. He promptly walked out of the store. According to King, the store never told the couple that Walker was the man behind the purchase, and nobody ever knew the sweet story until now.
King posted the story on the 40-year-old actor's Facebook page, among thousands of other anecdotes where people remembered him as "generous," "loving," and with a "heart of pure gold." Walker was a dedicated supporter of charities like the Billfish Foundation, and could always be counted on to raise funds for those in need. He founded his own organization, Reach Out Worldwide, after the 2010 Haiti earthquake.
"To do something like that to a perfect stranger is just unbelievable,” King said.
In this case, it appears that Paul Walker's generosity shined brighter than any diamond."
http://ca.omg.yahoo.com/blogs/the-ju...l?.tsrc=yahoo/
Old 12-04-2013, 04:21 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Very few people with that kind of generosity and the funds to back it up! We lost a great person, no doubt in that.
Old 12-04-2013, 04:37 PM
Banned

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by jvanbrecht
The plumbing you see is a sprinkler line, not gas, already been ruled out.
sprinkler as in irrigation not fire protection I assume? too small for fire service

that's what it looks like with a double check/strainer and isolation valve what confused me was that around here water is always kept underground due to freezing concerns, not in issue in LA

the car was basically sheared in half by the concrete pole

terrible loss
Old 12-04-2013, 05:50 PM

2012 C63 Black Series
Just read an article about Paul in road n track. He was a true gear head. He will be missed.

remember guys, stay safe out there.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 Mini Cooper S Clubman ALL4 - British Racing Green
Originally Posted by Ingenieur
sprinkler as in irrigation not fire protection I assume? too small for fire service

that's what it looks like with a double check/strainer and isolation valve what confused me was that around here water is always kept underground due to freezing concerns, not in issue in LA

the car was basically sheared in half by the concrete pole

terrible loss
Yes, Irrigation. And code requires there to be flowback protection, which is what you see, even if you have underground lines, irrigation must be above the highest point of the underground plumbing to prevent toxins from various pesticides and fertilizers from flowing back into the water supply. In freezing climates, that tends to be underground as well, but usually in some sort of box.
Old 12-05-2013, 12:28 AM

E63 AMG
Honestly, given the driving experience and skills, I'm thinking they tried to dodge an animal in the road. Or, something popped out that they tried to avoid and lost control.

No matter how experienced, you're never 100% in control. F1, Nascar, Indycar, etc. drivers lose control during practice laps.
Old 12-05-2013, 03:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sean's Sister--
Been reading a lot if great stuff about the man. He had a big heart and helped so many in need. Guess god wanted him to do bigger things up there in heaven.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Paul Walker Died Today