MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,587 Likes on 935 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
Old 01-06-2014, 08:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Ingenieur
I was not the first person to attack
I present fact based information contrary to the lemming and the sky is falling mentality, so I become a target

get your facts straight skippy
no, those are not "facts". Or maybe they are but only in your imagination
Old 01-07-2014, 03:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sean's Sister--
You guys sound stupid... get back on track and if you wanna talk pm each other or text each other
Old 01-07-2014, 03:56 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts
'16 C63-S
Originally Posted by Merc63
Engineer, no one cares about your math lessons bud. Chill out
Old 01-08-2014, 03:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 AMG
yes
walker had soot in his lungs meaning he was breathing smoke/fire for a time

sounds like the driver died quickly, his side sheared the concrete pole almost splitting the car in two, it sounds like his head hit the pole

such a stupid waste of life

people need to realize you need 500' to stop from 100 mph, that is a long way
speeding on secondary roads is absolutely stupid
at least on a divided interstate you have some room for margin of error
none on a secondary road

I think the actual police accident report, ie, cause and specifics of the accident, (vs the coroner report, cause of death, etc.) will show he was travelling closer to 130-150 range, and slowed to 100+ before impact
a damn shame
"walker had soot in his lungs meaning he was breathing smoke/fire for a time" Are you sure about this statement?

Everything I am reading leads me to believe otherwise... Where did you get this information?
This is what I read.
"The autopsy revealed "scant soot" in Walker's trachea, suggesting his life ended before the smoke and fire engulfed the car."

So unless I'm missing something, the soot was found in the trachea, meaning it never reached the lungs. This information suggests his breathing stopped prior to the fire...
Old 01-08-2014, 03:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by jrcart
500ft?? Lol my Ford Raptor can stop from 100mph in under 500ft. My SLS BS can do it in 266ft and a CGT can do it in 275ft. Maybe you meant to say 300ft
that is once the brakes are applied
reaction time and system lag time (pedal travel, build up some prssure, pads to engage)

the numbers I've seen for Porsches with PCCB were 310 range
couldn't find a specific number for the CGT and this is under testing conditions: on a wet or road with any debris, paint stripes, worn tires, etc, you will be much further...a couple 32's of tire wear can increase the distance significantly, as much as 20% according to Bosch Automotive Engineering Handbook...

reaction time, even if you can assess the situation/need to brake and make the move in 1 sec, unlikely, you still have travelled 150 ft
even if it's only 2 seconds to see a deer, kid, stopped vehicle you'll have travelled 300'
trained gun fighters require that much to assess and fire, and they are locked and loaded and anticipating the shot...
'surpise' adds a lot to reaction time, you don't drive on the edge of anticpation of emergency/unexpected braking (like you do when you know a corner is approaching)

according to Bosch and Volvo the system lag may be 0.1 to 0.3 sec, 15 to 45 ft

500' for the total distance = reaction + system lag + braking distance is not unrealistic, and probably conservative

from a highway design manual
To make highways reasonably safe, the engineer must provide a continuous sight distance (see the stopping sight distance module) equal to or greater than the stopping sight distance. As an integral part of the stopping sight distance, a value for the brake reaction time must be assumed. Extensive research has shown that 90% of the driving population can react in 2.5 seconds or less. The brake reaction time normally used in design, therefore, is 2.5 seconds. The distance traveled during the brake reaction time can be calculated by multiplying the vehicle's initial speed by the brake reaction time.

on a bell curve 80% will be 2 sec +/- 0.1 sec

Here's a simple example. Suppose a person is driving a car at 55 mph (80.67 feet/sec) during the day on a dry, level road. He sees a pedestrian and applies the brakes. What is the shortest stopping distance that can reasonably be expected? Total stopping distance consists of three components:
  1. Reaction Distance. First. Suppose the reaction time is 1.5 seconds. This means that the car will travel 1.5 x80.67 or 120.9 feet before the brakes are even applied.
  2. Brake Engagement Distance. Most reaction time studies consider the response completed at the moment the foot touches the brake pedal. However, brakes do not engage instantaneously. There is an additional time required for the pedal to depress and for the brakes to engage. This is variable and difficult to summarize in a single number because it depends on urgency and braking style. In an emergency, a reasonable estimate is .3 second, adding another 24.2 feet.
  3. Physical Force Distance. Once the brakes engage, the stopping distance is determined by physical forces (D=S²/(30*f) where S is mph) as 134.4 feet.
Total Stopping Distance = 120.9 ft + 24.2 ft + 134.4 ft = 279.5 ft
Are you sure Jrcart's posted research numbers didn't include all of the stipulations you have in your above written post? I find it VERY hard to believe it would take a super car of this nature 500' to stop at this speed.

Last edited by Autosport7; 01-08-2014 at 03:35 PM.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Originally Posted by Autosport7
Are you sure Jrcart's posted research numbers didn't include all of the stipulations you have in your above written post? I find it VERY hard to believe it would take a super car of this nature 500' to stop at this speed.
Actually his numbers do not appear to be that far off when factoring reaction times etc. He is using worst case scenrio factors which is a bit misleading, they seem to be on the high side but if factoring in reaction times and such it would certainly exceed 300ft. Most racers will use two feet when racing or driving, one for the gas one for the brake because it can cut the time in half if you already have your foot over the brake rather than just relying on your right foot to jump from the gas all the way over to the brake, that's how I drive when on track or driving aggressively. I doubt Ingeniuer factored that into his numbers.

I think the point he was trying to make is that people that are not accustumed to traveling at high rates of speed generally do not have good judgment on closing speeds. I raced superbikes for years so it is second nature for me. The first time I raced at Daytona I had the privilage of talking with Mr. Daytona himself Scott Russell. He told me "coming off the banking going through the tri-oval you are going over 185mph at that speed you are traveling at 275 feet per second(nearly a football field a second), brake a half second too late and you will overshoot the corner by 100 ft so timing in that corner is everything". Up until that point I had never really looked at the numbers or physics like that but it made sense and put speed into perspective for me. When you are out there traveling at that speed it does not feel like you are traveling at a football field per second so until someone opens your eyes to that reality it never comes up in your mind, at least it never came up in mine.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,587 Likes on 935 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by jrcart
He told me "coming off the banking going through the tri-oval you are going over 185mph at that speed you are traveling at 275 feet per second(nearly a football field a second), brake a half second too late and you will overshoot the corner by 100 ft so timing in that corner is everything".

OK... I'll stop