Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some advice got a Ticket

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 12:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 GT3RS F800R
I'm in culver city but got the ticket in west Hollywood at Olympic and crescent heights. He didn't have a radar gun. He was on the cross street waiting for the light to turn green as I passed the intersection. The cop also was rude he didn't really tell me anything asked me for my license and then said let me write you a nice ticket ... I was shocked and when I had asked him if this ticket could be fought he replied in a threatening manner saying I better take this to court and that the judge likes seeing my kind there... Well yea I had it with some particular cops I think they feel like they can do what ever they like and no one can say anything to them.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:40 AM

2013 C63 P31
I have a good traffic lawyer. He's very well known and he's never let me down. I'm in SoCal also so just pm if you're interested
Old 12-06-2013, 05:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C63 AMG
Just to give you hope I had some BS cop try and pull the same thing on me, I hired a lawyer for $200 since I know I was not join 60+ he wrote on the ticket in a 45 zone, 50-55 yes I always drive that but not criminal speeds. Got throw out since the cop was not stationary when they made their visual estimate, which as part of the training and method accepted they must be stationary.
Old 12-06-2013, 05:48 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
C63 AMG
first, estimating is an accepted practice
they are trained and tested and usually accurate +/5 mph or better

COLUMBUS, Ohio – A simple educated guess that a motorist is speeding is all the evidence a police officer needs to write an ironclad speeding ticket, the Ohio Supreme Court ruled on Wednesday.
In a 5-to-1 ruling, the court said an officer's "unaided visual estimation of a vehicle's speed" is strong enough to support a ticket and conviction. A radar speed detector, commonly used by patrolmen, is not needed, the court concluded.
"Independent verification of the vehicle's speed is not necessary to support a conviction for speeding," assuming the officer has been trained and certified by the Ohio Peace Officer Training Academy or similar organization, Justice Maureen O'Connor wrote for the court's majority.

it's a simple technique and they are always doing it when sitting at an intersection
it's SOP in CA
many states require the estimate along with the electronic measurement as a check

very difficult to beat since you can't contest the reading of a device: calibration, training, method, etc.

his word against yours and why would he lie? make it up? if you contend he did it out of spite and it was not valid you are accusing him of a crime and questioning his character...the courts frown upon this

your record won't help your case
basically all you can ask is how he did it, was he trained (and passed a test and certified), and is certification current
you can ask him what he used for benchmarks for the distance and what was your time and make sure it is ~65 mph (60 mph = 88 ft/sec)

get a lawyer and he may be able to plea it down to a no point violation

Last edited by Ingenieur; 12-06-2013 at 06:08 PM.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 C63 Coupe
Advice, other than getting a competent traffic attorney is misguided at best.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 E63
Wow, this same thing happened to me this week. 70 in 40 zone. There was no way I was going 70mph as this was between two lights, and the cop said he paced me. This was up a bridge 1/2 mile from start to stop. I would have had to be going full blast to get up to 70, allow him time to pace me a few seconds, and then have time to stop at the next light - which is down the hill with other cars stacked at the light.
Old 12-07-2013, 05:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG & RR
The best advice I can give here is for you to slow down. Don't try to outrun the lights. 2nd, best advice is to talk to an attorney who is knowledgeable. If you truly believe the ticket was given erroneously then I'd suggest for you to contest it, especially if he just gave you a B.S. ticket. It's a hassle but most probably if you have a strong case, you'll win and w/o proof of your speed he has little chance if you go prepared. Read up on some books and do a little research, it won't hurt you. If you are good at math, do some speed calculations and ask your girlfriend to be your witness. The more solid your preparation the better. Slow down, drive safely and good luck!
Old 12-07-2013, 04:13 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Merc-Skycap
The best advice I can give here is for you to slow down. Don't try to outrun the lights. 2nd, best advice is to talk to an attorney who is knowledgeable. If you truly believe the ticket was given erroneously then I'd suggest for you to contest it, especially if he just gave you a B.S. ticket. It's a hassle but most probably if you have a strong case, you'll win and w/o proof of your speed he has little chance if you go prepared. Read up on some books and do a little research, it won't hurt you. If you are good at math, do some speed calculations and ask your girlfriend to be your witness. The more solid your preparation the better. Slow down, drive safely and good luck!
he has 'proof', the cop's estimate, it's a legally admissable 'proof'
at least according to the Ohio Supreme Court (and numerous other states including Cali)

get a lawyer, especially considering the consequences if you get the full penalty...he can help you minimize the damage