Location: On a oil lease cracking rock to recover glorious sour oil
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Modded 2010 Harley Edition F-450 and a '13 S5
Well I can say I adore mine.
Old 12-16-2013, 02:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 894 Likes on 628 Posts
E63S | X5
FWIW I love my RS4 for winter duties. If I were you I would split the money into two separate cars. I have a C63 for summer duty and the RS4 for winter and it is perfect. Bought both used in great shape for 1/2 the cost of a new GTR. I would really look into that especially for Canada. I'm in upstate NY.

And don't beat yourself up about the 507. Seriously, don't justify the purchase as being the last one around because in a couple short year(s) the new model C amg will be out and better than a 507. Not to mention you can make a standard c63 into a 507 without too much difficulty from what I understand.

Anywho, look into splitting yourself up over two cars.

Lastly, this forum is actually pretty decent and for the most part drama free. This isn't NASIOC with bickering in literally every thread saying this car is better than this car. People here actually appreciate cars (for the most part) outside of the MB world particularly GTR's which many members here have.

Last edited by CarHopper; 12-16-2013 at 02:43 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Yoshi Tanaka (08-30-2022)
Old 12-16-2013, 03:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 107 Likes on 75 Posts
2018 AMG GTR, 2017 GLS63, 2019 C63s
I have both cars and just a tad older than you. Well ok, 43.

Get the gtr as your first choice, but invest in a four door dd like a c or e350, or even a maxima or Altima. Something. You'll find the gtr to be a bit much for everyday use. I may have missed but everyone seems to note you're in canada soA as said above, a Quattro, even an a4 will be good. Gtr will do winters but is too nice for the mess and the risk.

C63 creates just as much fun and is versatile so you may not need a second car, but it does have too much torque for winter, IMO.

I don't consider myself in a position to give advice to you regarding age etc, just keep in mind that unless you can afford much much more expensive cars, you'll find that for either the c or the gtr, it's difficult to top once you are done and want to move up.

Also, don't get dead!

Last edited by cyberorth; 12-16-2013 at 03:13 AM.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C63s AMG W205
Own a stock GTR n a lightly moded C63 as well as a well moded STi. For me GTR is def a great all rounder for every weather conditions, excellent gear shifting, agile cornering with AWD and man, the acceleration in stock form will out run 90% of moded C63 even BLack series. Its slightly wider than c63 but bcoz of its excellent weight distribution, it feels way smaller. The best part is, there is no need to mod. Everything in GTR is in hormony from its factory.

I let my mum drive the C63, she feels its comforty n easy to go around town. I take the c63 whenever i need to show ppl that im mature enuf (for business purpose).

My wife drives the STi, only reason is bcoz she loves a manual gearbox so she could do rev matching. I drive my STi to ski field if there were more than 2 ppl going together.

Last edited by YICS NZ; 12-16-2013 at 04:45 AM.
Old 12-16-2013, 05:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
Current: C217 V12TT AMG Previously: C55 AMG, SL65 AMG
Irresponsible parenting
Old 12-16-2013, 07:45 AM

Gtr
Originally Posted by DatBenzEh
I don't know if this helps, but I'm flying pretty powerful $300,000+ airplanes solo at speeds no C63 or as a matter a fact any GTR can reach. plus I've been riding a Yamaha r6 this pst summer.
Folks, sorry for the long post...

R6 at 15 which is IMO too young... I don't understand C63 or GTR as a first car but who am I to judge...

Planes and car have nothing in common, if you compare planes and cars, it's really because you don't have experienced in driving :|

If REALLY you want a C63 or GTR I would say a GTR... Had a CTS-V which I will "compare" to the C63 (V8, RWD) and a GTR and since it's AWD, I would say get the GTR since it may help you out to avoid losing the tail (still easy to do with TC disabled), easier to drive fast and you will go fast when friends will say "Come on, just show me the acceleration"...

I really don't think it's a wise choice but I would go GTR hands down but still think a STi first would be better (also too fast as a first but since that would look more your age than a GTR or C63 and still slower and more predictable).

Hope it helps and hope nothing bad will happen

Last edited by CoOlSlY; 12-16-2013 at 07:48 AM.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:01 AM

\
try out a audi rs5, then test drive c63 and gtr, you have to drive them, but rs5 awd is nice in the winter and plenty of power! gtr and c63 not the greatest in Canadian winters, I drive c63 with Pirelli winters, but anything more then 2" snow can be a real challenge sometimes, lol
Old 12-16-2013, 09:41 AM

C63 AMG
I previously owned a 590bhp R35 GTR with full race plus Miltek Exhaust. Loved it so much! But I had to change the stock exhaust straight away as its so quiet...

I have just bought a C63 AMG as its better for day to day use, much better build quality and I wont be faced with as many servicing costs and extended warranty!!

GTR is an amazing car but I couldn't run one everyday.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:25 AM

C63 AMG
If I had to DD in bad weather all the time, AWD for sure.

Which AWD??? Lot's of choices... I'd probably go Audi RS5.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:41 AM

2013 C63 AMG Black Series
I was in the same predicament when purchasing my car. It was either between a C63 Black Series or the brand new GTR, both of which would be my DD. In the end, I chose the Black Series. However, if it were between a regular C63 and a GTR, in all probability I would have chosen the GTR. That car is a rocket with much room for improvement and is definitely a head turner. That being said, I absolutely love my car am extremely happy with my decision. Good luck with whatever you choose to purchase and be safe!
Old 12-16-2013, 11:23 AM

C63 GT3RS F800R
Spend the extra $$$ on the new porsche turbo way better car than both cars, besides if you want a fast car you can't beat German engineering. GTR is a fast car but I don't like it's quality and the way it is built. A lot is gonna get mad but IMO it feels cheap. If I was you I'd go for the 991 porsche turbo very quick, very quick shifts and is awd.
Old 12-16-2013, 12:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 133 Posts
2021 Porsche TTS
No matter how sound you may be, I would not buy such a high horsepower car. Trust me, you will make mistakes and it is just a matter of how lucky you will be.
Obviously, your parents have money and buying an EVO or the likes will not satisfy you because it is just nicer to drive a higher end vehicle and the other sex will dig it.
The S5 quattro sounds like a reasonable idea. It is sexy, handles well in snow and still has more power than you will ever need for your first years as a driver.
Old 12-16-2013, 12:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Viper98912
Irresponsible parenting
Not trying to pass judgment but this ^ if parents would allow you to buy whatever car you want.
I lost a good close friend to this, and one bad decision on Christmas Eve. Was 1/4 mile from home and a rwd car, snow, and an oak tree go the best of him.
Inexperience, immaturity, bad weather, fast car - Don't go together very well.
Just my .02 though, this could just as easily happen in a Ford Focus.
Whatever decision you make, good luck in all you do op, sounds like you have a bright future ahead of you, just don't **** it away.
If it were me... I would go with an S4, plenty of power, great options, and awd. A lot of life ahead of you to move up to all the great things in life. Leave yourself something to look forward to.
Old 12-16-2013, 01:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
a land yacht.
+1 on the S4 S5 for your first car. Not as much power, much more safety in the quattro system and still looks/sounds great with a classy interior.

edit: first he said he has enough money to buy the car from his business, then he said if he gets good marks his parents would buy him any car he wants

Last edited by C_DirtyTwo; 12-16-2013 at 01:36 PM.
Old 12-16-2013, 01:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
'15 T&C & '14 SL63
Originally Posted by DatBenzEh
Hello All!

I'm 16, I have a well paying job, (company actually), I have my student pilot permit (I've soloed and just waiting to turn 17) and I'm looking for my first car. This will be my DD so I need to be able to use it throughout all 4 seasons (Canadian winters tend to be harsh).

I'd get both, but at my age and in my particular situation, that'd be a stupid investment.
Where to start where to start.

First, EITHER is a stupid investment even all by itself. A good investment is a solid reliable car that will get you around safely from point A to point B. Anything else is an indulgence. There is nothing wrong with an indulgence, in the right time, the right place, and the right price. But in the wrong time, the wrong place, the wrond price (ie amount of money) it can quickly become an albatross around your neck.

At 16, the value of the investment goes up dramatically in proportion to its 'discretion'. Every 24 year old cop who sees a 16 y/o "kid" goin 1 over in a hot car is going to write the ticket. many will lie and say it was 10 over. Some will merely call it "reckless or unsafe for conditions". Ether way, their dick, your ***. Is this fair? Absolutely not. But it is the truth, so be prepared to deal with it. A GTR? Not very discreet. A C63? Significantly more discreet, until a cop sees a 16 y/o kid driving it. Then it's suddenly very flashy. An AWD Ford Fusion? Much more discreet. Who the hells WANTS to drive a fusion? Exactly. Thats WHY it's discreet.

Second, at 16, if your business has made enough so you can pay cash for the car after taxes, then there are better ways to spend it. FIRST, most tech businesses have a VERY short lifespan unless you invest heavily in all the trappings of regular businesses. If this could even possibly be true of your business, then you probably should hoard the cash, and even if not hoarding it, don't spend more than you have on hand. If you think you can turn your business into a legacy that with a future, then THIS invesmtent in your business is where you should direct every penny you spend (and you should probably spend significantly less than you make).

Third, UNLESS you can pay cash for, you should buy NO luxury above and beyond need. Hoard that cash. Invest that cash. Let the proceeds accumulate. It seems you have the gift, and in a few years you'll be able to pay cash. And you'll have a few years adjusting to the realities of a world full of asshats with badges.

IF you can pay cash now, AND you can ALSO meet your businesses projected cash needs, then I suppose you COULD go on and buy the toy. Just keep in mind that you'll be painting a big huge X on your back and the arrow shooters aren't hypothetical, they're real.

Here's something else I wish someone had taught me when I was 16: What's a dollar worth? Answer: 10 cents a year for the rest of your life. If you can work for 10 years, and never spend a penny or pay any taxes, then you can make the same for the rest of your life without rolling out of bed. OK, maybe it's not 10%, maybe it's 8% or something... and yes, we all have to pay the tax man before it becomes investible cash... but the CONCEPT is what's important.

The key to freedom is not income, it's not cash, it's UNEARNED INCOME. You can make all the money in the world, but as long you have to work to make it, and if you spend it before you make it then you REALLY have to work to make it, then you aren't rich, you are slave shackled in the chains of your past indulgences. If you have money sitting around, but don't know how to use it to make more money, then it's not working for you. While this is the core of a business, it should also be the core of your personal finances as well.

Honest advice... I say get 3 year off lease CPO C350 4matic. Especially in Winter Wonder Land. The girls will be JUST as impressed at 20% the cost to you.

If / when your financial circumstances are such that 100k is pocket money (ie you can spend it without counting it) THEN get the hot AMG.

I'm 46. My description of what happens when you're young driving a hot car comes from heard learned first hand experience. Even now, when I was shopping for my first hot car in 15 years, I refused to consider anything red or yellow, even though they're clearly the best colors. The worthless traffic pigs of almost every ****ty *** town, city, and state makes it impractical to own one. I avoided the SL, the SLK, and the AMG coupes. I was really looking only at sedans, in black, white and yes, the matte gray, although even that's probably too racy when you really have to survive life on the streets.
Old 12-16-2013, 02:21 PM

2017 Dodge Viper GTC, 2014 C63 AMG (gone), 2014 GL450
Like others, I'd suggest a short lease on an S4 if you want 4 door sedan, S5 for a coupe. AWD and plenty of power. It's not a lifelong choice since you can trade up after a year or 2 to something else once you have more experience.
Old 12-16-2013, 02:24 PM

None ATM
Originally Posted by C_DirtyTwo
+1 on the S4 S5 for your first car. Not as much power, much more safety in the quattro system and still looks/sounds great with a classy interior.

edit: first he said he has enough money to buy the car from his business, then he said if he gets good marks his parents would buy him any car he wants
My parents need something to control me, and that controlling factor is how well I do in school, my marks as my parents don't want me to spoil myself. They need something to control me and I respect them enough that I won't make any major personal purchases without their knowing, advice or permission. For them, my education is worth more than any amount of money I will ever make. Their deal is simple, you have to earn something to get something. For the matter, I tried buying my parents a Gl63/Ml63/e63 wagon, I tried very hard to convince them but they dragged me into a honda dealership and I respected their decision and bought them a new minivan.

Regards.

Last edited by DatBenzEh; 12-16-2013 at 02:31 PM.
Old 12-16-2013, 02:29 PM

None ATM
Originally Posted by nycphotography
Where to start where to start.

First, EITHER is a stupid investment even all by itself. A good investment is a solid reliable car that will get you around safely from point A to point B. Anything else is an indulgence. There is nothing wrong with an indulgence, in the right time, the right place, and the right price. But in the wrong time, the wrong place, the wrond price (ie amount of money) it can quickly become an albatross around your neck.

At 16, the value of the investment goes up dramatically in proportion to its 'discretion'. Every 24 year old cop who sees a 16 y/o "kid" goin 1 over in a hot car is going to write the ticket. many will lie and say it was 10 over. Some will merely call it "reckless or unsafe for conditions". Ether way, their dick, your ***. Is this fair? Absolutely not. But it is the truth, so be prepared to deal with it. A GTR? Not very discreet. A C63? Significantly more discreet, until a cop sees a 16 y/o kid driving it. Then it's suddenly very flashy. An AWD Ford Fusion? Much more discreet. Who the hells WANTS to drive a fusion? Exactly. Thats WHY it's discreet.

Second, at 16, if your business has made enough so you can pay cash for the car after taxes, then there are better ways to spend it. FIRST, most tech businesses have a VERY short lifespan unless you invest heavily in all the trappings of regular businesses. If this could even possibly be true of your business, then you probably should hoard the cash, and even if not hoarding it, don't spend more than you have on hand. If you think you can turn your business into a legacy that with a future, then THIS invesmtent in your business is where you should direct every penny you spend (and you should probably spend significantly less than you make).

Third, UNLESS you can pay cash for, you should buy NO luxury above and beyond need. Hoard that cash. Invest that cash. Let the proceeds accumulate. It seems you have the gift, and in a few years you'll be able to pay cash. And you'll have a few years adjusting to the realities of a world full of asshats with badges.

IF you can pay cash now, AND you can ALSO meet your businesses projected cash needs, then I suppose you COULD go on and buy the toy. Just keep in mind that you'll be painting a big huge X on your back and the arrow shooters aren't hypothetical, they're real.

Here's something else I wish someone had taught me when I was 16: What's a dollar worth? Answer: 10 cents a year for the rest of your life. If you can work for 10 years, and never spend a penny or pay any taxes, then you can make the same for the rest of your life without rolling out of bed. OK, maybe it's not 10%, maybe it's 8% or something... and yes, we all have to pay the tax man before it becomes investible cash... but the CONCEPT is what's important.

The key to freedom is not income, it's not cash, it's UNEARNED INCOME. You can make all the money in the world, but as long you have to work to make it, and if you spend it before you make it then you REALLY have to work to make it, then you aren't rich, you are slave shackled in the chains of your past indulgences. If you have money sitting around, but don't know how to use it to make more money, then it's not working for you. While this is the core of a business, it should also be the core of your personal finances as well.

Honest advice... I say get 3 year off lease CPO C350 4matic. Especially in Winter Wonder Land. The girls will be JUST as impressed at 20% the cost to you.

If / when your financial circumstances are such that 100k is pocket money (ie you can spend it without counting it) THEN get the hot AMG.

I'm 46. My description of what happens when you're young driving a hot car comes from heard learned first hand experience. Even now, when I was shopping for my first hot car in 15 years, I refused to consider anything red or yellow, even though they're clearly the best colors. The worthless traffic pigs of almost every ****ty *** town, city, and state makes it impractical to own one. I avoided the SL, the SLK, and the AMG coupes. I was really looking only at sedans, in black, white and yes, the matte gray, although even that's probably too racy when you really have to survive life on the streets.
Really great advice, some of what I've been told already, will definitely take this into consideration.

Regards.
Old 12-16-2013, 03:48 PM

2013 C63 coupe P31
+1 on S4/S5 or C350 4Matic. Those are nice looking cars and will make a great impression on your friends. When I show my car to 20ish yo girls all they remember is that it's "a new BMW with red leather seats".

That and S5s are crazy fast and moddable
Old 12-16-2013, 04:42 PM

C63s AMG W205
Originally Posted by newtrita
Spend the extra $$$ on the new porsche turbo way better car than both cars, besides if you want a fast car you can't beat German engineering. GTR is a fast car but I don't like it's quality and the way it is built. A lot is gonna get mad but IMO it feels cheap. If I was you I'd go for the 991 porsche turbo very quick, very quick shifts and is awd.
Gtr is fully hand made to spec. Its built quality is def superior than C63 but not as luxry. Its race orientated. Besides been 1/3 of a porsche turbos cost, with a light ecu mod it runs turbo easily.
Old 12-16-2013, 05:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
S550, R350, GL550, ML63 AMG
Lightbulb

For Canada... and your only daily driver car I would already eliminate the C63.
The new CLA45 which has 4Matic, or the E63 S-Model are probably the only high performance Benzes on the market available now that would do well in the snow. Any other base 4Matic should do well. The GTR in my opinion is a car you wouldn't want to drive in the snow even though its AWD. I picture this being a weekend driver type car and only in nice conditions.

If you can wait... pick up a used 4Matic, S4, WRX, or Evo and wait for the 2015 C63 AMG late next year. Hopefully this comes in a S-Model as well. The technology and styling on this is amazing!!! Take some defensive driving and autocross classes too if you want to learn the driving characteristics of your car. You will become a better driver.

http://www5.mercedes-benz.com/en/veh...o-alternative/

Good luck!
Old 12-16-2013, 08:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
Porcelain Bus
From all of the OP's posts, he sounds extremely mature for his age and it doesn't surprise me that he has reached this degree of success at such a young age. All his responses sound polished and intelligent.

That being said, I think an Audi S4 is a perfect car for someone like him. Understated, powerful, safe, and a blast to drive. I actually prefer our S4 to our C63 regarding it's enjoyment as a daily driver, but they are very close. The GT-R is amazing, but not a starter car IMO.
Old 12-17-2013, 12:00 AM

C63 507
get a beemer,will suit ya better.... always thot benz's not everyone's cup of tea.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:47 AM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
2014 C63 507, 2012 R350
At 16, I was car crazy and if I had the chance at 16 to buy a car of that magnitude, I absolutely would have bloody done it. Would my parents have allowed me to is another story.

In 1989, me and my brother shared a 1989 Dodge Colt 16V turbo, a sweet car for the day. If you look it up, many here would remember what a highly rated car it was, (Mitsubishi Mirage), that gave the gears to the GTI. I patiently waited for my dad to tire of his many tranny car and got his 1989 626 turbo 5 door. Those who were car fans would remember how underrated these cars were, 2.oL turbo145bhp, more like 200 and torque steering monsters of the day. Back then a car that could do 0-60 in 7.0 or less was almost Mustang territory. In my last year of high school I had a very fast car and by the time university rolled around, I was 19 and the car was already blessed with HKS components and Eibach springs, etc... and I loved every minute of it!

Forgive the rambling, just reminiscing at being in love with cars at your age...and if I had the means I would go for the GTR but I think of the dumb things I did in my car and I fear for your life in a GTR or C63. You sound very mature but all it takes is one error in judgement, a split second to alter your or a loved one's life. I was lucky, I think, in my lapses, but many don't survive or don't recover.

Too much too soon, my friend and I applaud your passion for cars, just use your passion differently. Respect, admire these machines but have respect for them as well. I can't fathom my son driving my 507. No ****ing way. Just, no.

I am going to piggyback what nycphotography said because many here are on the same wavelength. Do we want to parent on the internet? No, and I am 41.

But you just sound awfully genuine that I don't think what many have to say here will fall on deaf ears.
Old 12-17-2013, 12:26 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
S550 on order
Originally Posted by newtrita
This!!!! I raced a porsche 4S or something that looked really expensive and he pulled me hard it was quick, had 4 pipes and was almost as loud as my C63...but my friend who's had 3 posches (not expensive ones) has had nothing but issues with electrical so maybe do some research...I'm sure in the higher end ones it's smoothed out.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: C63 or GTR?