Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 01:56 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
S550 on order
Originally Posted by Ingenieur
I lived in Alaska for 10 years, they have winter for 6 months

it's your Canadian buddy who said the 'ballers' were too cheap to buy a beater...he was telling people how to live, although he did give me permission to use my property as I see fit

you Canadian guys need to hop off your high horses and get down with the rest of us in the real world and stop treating machines as if they were precious metals, lol

I rinse the car off a few times a month, did so today since >32F
C63 in alaska? must have been covered in mud at all times
Old 01-31-2014, 02:20 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
2014 C63 507, 2012 R350
Originally Posted by zibby43
If I didn't have a heated garage, I wouldn't have a choice. I'd have to submit to a swirl-o-matic.

There's an automated touchless wash that just opened up not too far from where I am. I might give it a try but I hear that the touchless washes really don't do that good of a job.
I think it is right in the manual that MB recommends to stay away from touchless car wash. They recommend brushes.

My previous C63 was Obsidian black and I ran it through the car wash, sometimes 4-5 times a week in the winter. Like mdgrwl says, some siwrls but nothing that a good polish won't fix.
Old 01-31-2014, 02:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 97 Likes on 82 Posts
'20 GLC300 SUV
Originally Posted by ZephyrAMG
It just occurred to me that its just a C Class. I bought it to enjoy it. Life is short. BUT I DO MAINTAIN HER METICULOUSLY and drive the car often. The car just looks great when treated well.

It's kind of pathetic if you buy things and not use them for hopes that the next owner will appreciate its condition. Enjoy what you have for YOU. Nothing wrong with using and driving and maintaining your cars well and enjoying them at the same time.
Agreed. Almost exactly what I said, word for word.

Refreshing to see that you're driving the car like it should be driven while still taking pride in taking care of it.

Originally Posted by coladin
I think it is right in the manual that MB recommends to stay away from touchless car wash. They recommend brushes.

My previous C63 was Obsidian black and I ran it through the car wash, sometimes 4-5 times a week in the winter. Like mdgrwl says, some siwrls but nothing that a good polish won't fix.
Thanks for pointing that out. That's the second time I've heard that the harsher chemicals from the touchless washes are more damaging than the soft cloths used by non-touchless washes.

My biggest worry with the automatic wash that's near me is not the inevitable swirls that can be polished out. It's the front end clearance. I've had the driver's side guide rail put some nasty track marks/etches under the front bumper on several cars I've taken through there.

But, no one can see that damage anyway.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:12 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by avery.whss
C63 in alaska? must have been covered in mud at all times
no
A BMW 2002 and a Porsche 931
it was only 'covered in mud' before I washed it
Old 01-31-2014, 06:17 PM
Banned

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by ZephyrAMG
Who ever says that driving your car in all weather and that rocks and salt and moisture doesn't damage or wear on a car is an absolute idiot in denial.

Truth of the matter is that you just have to spend more money and bust your *** with more cleaning, caring and repairing these cars to make them nice and presentable. Make no mistake: SALT, RAIN, SNOW, SAND, etc WILL RUIN A MACHINE USED OVER TIME.

So, NO, its not the owner, IT IS INDEED THE ELEMENTS.
Anyone can tell touched up paint a mile away. But the owner can just work harder at keeping the car looking good either for themselves or to fool someone when selling it.

Needless to say, it's not a Maybach or Lambo. It's just a C Class. So garage queening it is only the owner's loss. There are several garage queen babies on this board. I was one myself. It just occurred to me that its just a C Class. I bought it to enjoy it. Life is short. BUT I DO MAINTAIN HER METICULOUSLY and drive the car often. The car just looks great when treated well.

It's kind of pathetic if you buy things and not use them for hopes that the next owner will appreciate its condition. Enjoy what you have for YOU. Nothing wrong with using and driving and maintaining your cars well and enjoying them at the same time.
wrong
I guarantee I can find 2 cars
one driven year round in AK
one in Cali

you won't be able to see a difference after a good detail
the car in Cali could be worse due to UV, lack of humidity, etc.
but really no difference

it is the care the owner gives the car that determines it's appearence
Old 01-31-2014, 06:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 408 Likes on 290 Posts
'10 C63
I think most people need to chill out. If he wants to drive it in the winter, that's his choice. Just don't be stupid and endanger people (eg-drive in the snow with summer tires). It's a C63 which is a very nice car and quite expensive for most people. But to some people, a C63 is a daily driver because their Bugatti Veyron SuperSport Vitesse is kept in the garage in the winter.

To the OP, I use a brush auto carwash on my winter beater and make sure it has a good underbody wash. Then in the spring I do a good polish and sealant. And at the first sign of underbody rust, I throw a treatment on there and spray paint the spot.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:41 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
S550 on order
Originally Posted by chrisridebike8
I think most people need to chill out. If he wants to drive it in the winter, that's his choice. Just don't be stupid and endanger people (eg-drive in the snow with summer tires). It's a C63 which is a very nice car and quite expensive for most people. But to some people, a C63 is a daily driver because their Bugatti Veyron SuperSport Vitesse is kept in the garage in the winter.

To the OP, I use a brush auto carwash on my winter beater and make sure it has a good underbody wash. Then in the spring I do a good polish and sealant. And at the first sign of underbody rust, I throw a treatment on there and spray paint the spot.
hahaha lexus as a beater...love it
Old 01-31-2014, 08:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 408 Likes on 290 Posts
'10 C63
Originally Posted by avery.whss
hahaha lexus as a beater...love it
10 year old car. 196k miles. No goofy electronics other than ABS and antiquated traction control (keep it off in the snow). Reliable, cheap to maintain, and nice enough that I can have fun in it even at low speed. And it's the first car I paid for on my own and in cash. I'll never get rid of it. It's worthless (money wise), except to me.

My snow setup:

9 inches of snow this past week

Last edited by chrisridebike8; 01-31-2014 at 08:40 PM.
Old 02-01-2014, 03:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1992 500 SEL
When I was in the Marines years ago, there was a lot of paint testing and a variety of testing of the various types and styles of soaps that performed best in the various conditions of weather, the soap that came out as the best for washing vehicles was Dawn dishwashing liquid, the blue color one.
It actually repels a lot of the dirts and contaminants that can eat into paint and metal, the chemicals in the soap provide a degree of a protective coating on vehicles, I was in the military 30 years ago, and to this day, Dawn dishwashing liquid is the detergent used for my vehicles, during the summer months I wax my vehicles about every two weeks, It may be a bit excessive, buy I like the way that water beads up and runs off in the rain.
Old 02-01-2014, 11:55 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
'09 C63
Originally Posted by Wyverne
When I was in the Marines years ago, there was a lot of paint testing and a variety of testing of the various types and styles of soaps that performed best in the various conditions of weather, the soap that came out as the best for washing vehicles was Dawn dishwashing liquid, the blue color one.
It actually repels a lot of the dirts and contaminants that can eat into paint and metal, the chemicals in the soap provide a degree of a protective coating on vehicles, I was in the military 30 years ago, and to this day, Dawn dishwashing liquid is the detergent used for my vehicles, during the summer months I wax my vehicles about every two weeks, It may be a bit excessive, buy I like the way that water beads up and runs off in the rain.
Dawn works because it strips all waxes and oils. The caveat to using Dawn detergent is that you need to apply wax everytime after. Some pro detailers use it as a 'clean slate' to detail the car completely. Repeated use of Dawn overtime without wax will strip all the clear coat off.

Last edited by tfthach13; 02-01-2014 at 11:59 AM.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:16 PM
Banned

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by tfthach13
Dawn works because it strips all waxes and oils. The caveat to using Dawn detergent is that you need to apply wax everytime after. Some pro detailers use it as a 'clean slate' to detail the car completely. Repeated use of Dawn overtime without wax will strip all the clear coat off.
I like to use it once a year to strip off all the wax and start fresh
perhaps give it a polish at the same time