C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

DD Washing/Cleaning for Winter

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 07:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 AMG
DD Washing/Cleaning for Winter

Hey I am in need of some help with washing/keeping up with the exterior of my C63. As much as I hate to say it I daily drive the car and I am located in Pa and I believe it was in the mid 30's yesterday but today I believe the high was 18 and most days is under the freezing point. My car is covered in salt its getting pretty embarrassing but I also know its not good to leave salt just sitting on there.

My question is what can I do to wash my car? I can't use my hose and if I do a do it yourself car wash I feel like it will freeze before I can get all the water off. I have done waterless car wash but my car gets so dirty so fast that I feel like I'm doing a lot of damage to the paint by doing the waterless wash or am I incorrect?

What does everyone do in the winter? I am sure a lot of people their car sits or is used a limited amount. For those who car does not sit please let me know.

I really, really dont want to go to automated wash at all! I have never used one plus with the CF hood I feel like there is the possibility of cracking and the CF boot lid spoiler it might get ripped off.

Any suggestions are much appreciated!!

Chris
Old 01-28-2014, 07:56 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
'09 C63
The best thing to do before the winter season sets in is to apply several layers of synthetic wax (since it lasts longer). Since it's your DD it's bound to get dirty no matter what, but having those layers of wax to protect from the salt/dirt.

As far as washing in freezing temperatures, I guess the best thing to do is wash the car indoors if possible? I live in the west coast so I don't have to deal with freezing temperatures as much.

If you're worried about "messing up" the paint by washing it frequently, try to apply Opti-coat 2.0 in before the winter season hits. Opti-coat is supposed to be a harden layer that adheres to the clear coat and offer more protection to the actual paint of the car.

In essence, just prepping before the winter season is the best thing to do. I hope some of that helps?
Old 01-28-2014, 08:24 PM

Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts
2013 C63
wash with a two buckets of warm water foam it down first then wash
Old 01-28-2014, 08:24 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
C63 AMG
find a touchless automatic
pay for the chassis wash to get all the salt off

unless you can find a heated garage to wash/wax in the winter you don't have many options
I wait for a day > 32F and rinse it in a self-service carwash

as some mentioned, prior to winter to get a couple coats of good wax on it and try to do one in the middle of winter if you can

Last edited by Ingenieur; 01-28-2014 at 08:28 PM.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:43 PM

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
2017 C63S Coupe
Believe it or not, as long as the temperature is below freezing, rust and corrosive oxidation does not form. So, believe it or not but if your car is dirty and covered with salt it is better NOT to park in any garage above freezing and wash. As long as it's below 32F your better off to leave it dirty. Every time you go from freezing to inside warm conditions the oxidation (corrosive) process begins.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:48 PM
Banned

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by 507AMG
Believe it or not, as long as the temperature is below freezing, rust and corrosive oxidation does not form. So, believe it or not but if your car is dirty and covered with salt it is better NOT to park in any garage above freezing and wash. As long as it's below 32F your better off to leave it dirty. Every time you go from freezing to inside warm conditions the oxidation (corrosive) process begins.
but if you wash it you remove the salt?

a car will rust any time you wash it if the surface is not treated/painted/coated/etc., the warmer the faster/more humid...look at your rotors

salt is corrosive without moisture, will remove wax, better to rinse it off

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2010/1...-for-your-car/

“I believe, the more you can wash the car, the more you can keep some of that salt off, it’s going to benefit it in the long run,” said Matt Feehan, President of American Auto Body in Brooklyn Park.

obviously it would be better to keep the car dry, or the water frozen, but that is not practical
it's a trade off

Last edited by Ingenieur; 01-28-2014 at 08:51 PM.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts
'20 GLC300 SUV
Originally Posted by ChrisC63
Hey I am in need of some help with washing/keeping up with the exterior of my C63. As much as I hate to say it I daily drive the car and I am located in Pa and I believe it was in the mid 30's yesterday but today I believe the high was 18 and most days is under the freezing point. My car is covered in salt its getting pretty embarrassing but I also know its not good to leave salt just sitting on there.

My question is what can I do to wash my car? I can't use my hose and if I do a do it yourself car wash I feel like it will freeze before I can get all the water off. I have done waterless car wash but my car gets so dirty so fast that I feel like I'm doing a lot of damage to the paint by doing the waterless wash or am I incorrect?

What does everyone do in the winter? I am sure a lot of people their car sits or is used a limited amount. For those who car does not sit please let me know.

I really, really dont want to go to automated wash at all! I have never used one plus with the CF hood I feel like there is the possibility of cracking and the CF boot lid spoiler it might get ripped off.

Any suggestions are much appreciated!!

Chris
Have you heard of Optimum No Rinse?

You can wash your car, by hand, in the garage.

Get yourself some ONR, a couple of buckets, some microfiber towels, some microfiber waffle weave towels, and a microfiber wash mitt.

Put the recommended amount of ONR in one bucket with some warm water. Put clean warm water in the other bucket.

Spray off your car to work loose the sand, dirt, small rocks, salt, and any other debris/contaminants that might be on the surface.

Dip your wash mitt into the bucket that has the ONR solution and wash each car panel one at a time (I'd recommend starting with the roof at the top).

After washing each panel, clean your wash mitt off in the water-only rinse bucket.

By using ONR, you will have no streaking or water spots to deal with.

When you're finished, use the microfiber waffle weave towel to dab any excess moisture that is on the car.

Use the same exact method described above to clean the wheels (save them for last since they'll likely be the dirtiest). You'll need a wheel brush and some other smaller washing tools to get into all the nooks and crannies that the mitt cannot reach.

Be sure to change out your rinse/water-only bucket when you start on the wheels.

That's the wash stage. After that you can apply some Optimum Car Wax or one of Optimum's polymer sealants (I prefer Optimum Opti-Seal).

http://www.optimumcarcare.com/

Hope that helps.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
You don't have car washes in the states? Here there is one every 2 blocks.

They have bays with pressure washer hoses??
Old 01-28-2014, 10:03 PM

2013 C63 AMG, 2013 B250
I just wait until spring to get it detailed again.

I do however have Opti-coat 2.0 applied (couple weeks after I picked it up) and it was detailed in late November adding another coat of wax. First pic is after the pre-winter detail and the last pic is from this morning. It is even worse after the drive home today.

Old 01-28-2014, 11:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
Originally Posted by Merc63
You don't have car washes in the states? Here there is one every 2 blocks.

They have bays with pressure washer hoses??
We do but there are better ways to wash a car that use substantially less water. As an example, see the post I submitted above.

Originally Posted by Vise_
I just wait until spring to get it detailed again.

I do however have Opti-coat 2.0 applied (couple weeks after I picked it up) and it was detailed in late November adding another coat of wax. First pic is after the pre-winter detail and the last pic is from this morning. It is even worse after the drive home today.

Opti-Coat is good stuff.

What a dramatic difference.

This is what Iridium Silver looks like after 2 months of snow, slush, and salt.

Old 01-29-2014, 10:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
Lol you must have a lot of free time to be washing your car panel by panel with two buckets.

Tell me how do you clean the salt off the under carriage where the rust starts with your microfibre and two buckets?

Whatever floats your boat I guess.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 Chevy Tahoe
If you've had OptiCoat put on the car your efforts at waxing are wasted in the long run. OptiCoat is so hydrophobic that the best a wax job will last is four or five days.

You're in good shape as far as salt damage goes. Hose her off when you can, find a warm spot to wash her if you can, or wait for the next round of fair weather, but the OptiCoat will do you well!
Old 01-29-2014, 11:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
My method = Opticoat + a self wash with spot-free rinse. Makes detailing later a cinch. Opticoat cannot be applied on fresh paint. You have to wait a month.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
07 E63 + 07 CLK63CAB
The method I use is to not drive your baby in the winter, but store it in a garage under cover. Stays clean and looks just like the day in November when you covered it up and will look just the same in March or April(after the salt washes off the roads) after a few good rains. You fellas that seem to be "ballin" cannot afford a winter vehicle, for me it works well and yes the winter car has been well protected with wax and yearly oiling. It would be shameful for me to drive my Benz in the crap we have going on the roads these days and lets not forget the loonies that feel that with all wheel drive they can still drive with the same gusto as if it were 80 degrees outside because they have snow tires on, LOL See them in the ditch everyday.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07 E63 + 07 CLK63CAB
507AMG is correct in his statement if you must drive the car. You guys in the warmer states do not have a clue as to what this salt mix, liquid brine does to a car, it does like aluminum rads and coolers and ac condenser's as well as unprotected steel not sure just how much of that you see in Cali. With the brine wash that is seen in Vise's pic, that spray was forced into every crevice of the car during a highway drive one of the reasons I will not buy a car that has been subject to year round usage. They do rust which will not help with resale value.

Last edited by Critter; 01-29-2014 at 05:01 PM.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
For indoor storage, using a breathable cover is key to avoid rusting too. Otherwise, a weatherproof cover indoors could trap moisture or whatever contaminants you picked up during the last drive.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07 E63 + 07 CLK63CAB
@CoolBDPhenem03, you are so correct.
Have my 72 Challenger under a WOLF cover for 25+years it is getting a little worn now but has served gratiously. The Benzs are also under I believe a Cover craft NOAH series which is for inside or outside storage , is breathable as well as water repellant custom fit even has the antenna pouch and side mirror pouches and front emblem pouch, fits perfect on the E. The CLK has no pouches obviously but the fit is superb.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:54 PM

2013 C63 AMG, 2013 B250
Originally Posted by Critter
The method I use is to not drive your baby in the winter, but store it in a garage under cover. Stays clean and looks just like the day in November when you covered it up and will look just the same in March or April(after the salt washes off the roads) after a few good rains. You fellas that seem to be "ballin" cannot afford a winter vehicle
Dude, get off the high horse. Its just a car ffs, I can afford a winter car but I have no interest as I'd rather drive a fun car year round. If makes you feel better to spend your cash on something that sits in your garage half the year then more power to you.
Old 01-29-2014, 03:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
Originally Posted by Merc63
Lol you must have a lot of free time to be washing your car panel by panel with two buckets.

Tell me how do you clean the salt off the under carriage where the rust starts with your microfibre and two buckets?

Whatever floats your boat I guess.
It actually takes about 20 minutes for the car itself. About another 15-20 for the wheels. That's for the wash aspect, anyway.

And I tend to have some free time on the weekend . . .

And I spray off the undercarriage with a hose before I start the wash process.

Tell me, how am I supposed to go to an outdoor wash bay in -50 degree Fahrenheit weather to spray my car off with a power washer?

That's why the two-bucket method exists. You should read up on it. If you ever get some free time (which apparently you do since you've got 3,000+ posts here).

Last edited by zibby43; 01-29-2014 at 03:48 PM.
Old 01-29-2014, 04:03 PM

C63 AMG
I just do Automatic car washes in the winter for my DD. You may get slight swirls but so what, in the spring do a good polish and your set to hand wash all spring/summer/fall.

Doing the "perfect" wash just isn't realistic when its 20 degree's out and your car is filthy.
Old 01-29-2014, 04:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
Originally Posted by mdgrwl
I just do Automatic car washes in the winter for my DD. You may get slight swirls but so what, in the spring do a good polish and your set to hand wash all spring/summer/fall.

Doing the "perfect" wash just isn't realistic when its 20 degree's out and your car is filthy.
If I didn't have a heated garage, I wouldn't have a choice. I'd have to submit to a swirl-o-matic.

There's an automated touchless wash that just opened up not too far from where I am. I might give it a try but I hear that the touchless washes really don't do that good of a job.
Old 01-29-2014, 04:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07 E63 + 07 CLK63CAB
Well it seems we have a different approach on cars, yes it`s only a car but it is MY Car ever heard of sacrificial metal well I have a sacrificial winter car! Anyhow you have a nice car as seen in the first pic.
Old 01-29-2014, 05:16 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
R8, C63, C300
Originally Posted by Vise_
Dude, get off the high horse. Its just a car ffs, I can afford a winter car but I have no interest as I'd rather drive a fun car year round. If makes you feel better to spend your cash on something that sits in your garage half the year then more power to you.
I agree. A car is meant to be driven. I love driving mine year round
Old 01-29-2014, 05:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07 E63 + 07 CLK63CAB
Black Lavender, you live in the snow belt also
Old 01-29-2014, 05:21 PM
Banned

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Critter
The method I use is to not drive your baby in the winter, but store it in a garage under cover. Stays clean and looks just like the day in November when you covered it up and will look just the same in March or April(after the salt washes off the roads) after a few good rains. You fellas that seem to be "ballin" cannot afford a winter vehicle, for me it works well and yes the winter car has been well protected with wax and yearly oiling. It would be shameful for me to drive my Benz in the crap we have going on the roads these days and lets not forget the loonies that feel that with all wheel drive they can still drive with the same gusto as if it were 80 degrees outside because they have snow tires on, LOL See them in the ditch everyday.
it snows in Germany
I'm guessing that is why they put heated seats and mirrors on cars, not to mention 'heaters', defrosters, etc. lol

you feel 'shame' for driving a car in the winter? why?

letting the car sit and depreciate for 4+ months (basically Nov - March) seems like a waste of money or a 'shame'
your cash outlay is only utilized 60% of the time...so the car per unit usage actually 'cost' 140% more

it's only a car, a well built one, that if well maintained will serve all year round

it's not a gold plated Ferrari

wtf does " ballin' " mean
selling 1/8th oz bags, ie, ' 8 *****', of cocaine? or using them?

Last edited by Ingenieur; 01-29-2014 at 05:36 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DD Washing/Cleaning for Winter