C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Hit a pothole.

Old 02-25-2014, 10:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by papashango
Sorry to hear about your misfortune. I had that happen to my C350 once but only the tie rods (?) within the tire had blown up. There are some metal rods inside the tire that maintain the seal and those got messed up. Essentially had to replace my front two tires which ended up being $600.

Where in Calgary did this happen? So I can avoid the damn area!
Ive been driving all over Calgary, the night before the car broke down I was having some fun with an other c63 on Deerfoot from 130th till Heritage meadows. Also there was couple bumps before Southland. It could be damages from that I guess.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 761 Likes on 527 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Sorry to hear about your misfortune. I had that happen to my C350 once but only the tie rods (?) within the tire had blown up. There are some metal rods inside the tire that maintain the seal and those got messed up. Essentially had to replace my front two tires which ended up being $600.

Where in Calgary did this happen? So I can avoid the damn area!
Tie rods are part of the suspension. They are in relatively close proximity to the tire, but that's the only thing they have in common.

There are no rods of any sort inside the tire. The beads are likely reinforced by steel wire, but if would be hard to imagine how a pothole hit would damage the bead without completely cutting through the sidewall first, which is suspect happened to both the OP and you.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
This and that.
Okay so I am referring to the steel wire within the tires. I had no issues with the rest of my suspension. Essentially what happened was that the formed a little bit of an air bubble inside it and the shop said I should replace them or there is a likelihood of the tire exploding at hire speeds.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 761 Likes on 527 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Okay so I am referring to the steel wire within the tires. I had no issues with the rest of my suspension. Essentially what happened was that the formed a little bit of an air bubble inside it and the shop said I should replace them or there is a likelihood of the tire exploding at hire speeds.
Ah - an aneurysm. Yes, that's what happens when the rim hits the pavement and cuts the tire carcass/cords (the rubber then bulges out the sidewall).