C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

ODB Scanners and Diagnostic tools - revisted

Old 03-05-2014, 04:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 Mini Cooper S Clubman ALL4 - British Racing Green
ODB Scanners and Diagnostic tools - revisted

Okay, so I have been poking around looking for a diagnostic tool tool without going off the reservation price wise (no more than $400 or $500). Specifically mimicking Star Diagnostics functionality, without actually buying one of those, or the knock offs which from what I have read, have spotty quality and very little support. Support is important to be honest, especially when spending a decent chunk of cash.

That said, I have come across the Autel MaxiDiag MD802 scan tool, for around $320 to $400 depending on vendor and site (Amazon is not the cheapest either, falls in at around $350, but with their return policy, thats worth the extra $30).

As far as I can tell, without getting my hands on it, and from the videos and what not I have found, the device will read most of the vehicle sensors in real time in addition to the standard ODB subset and Vehicle specific subset. I posed a question to one of the Amazon reviewers about whether or not it will read the transmission sensors, including fluid temp, and the response was that it does, he needs to do the same thing for fluid changes, but he has a Renault, so it may not work for MB

So while I will probably take a stab at this device, before I do, I was hoping some of you may pipe up if you have one, or know of any of the others that support reading the vehicle sensors.

I know Torque Pro will read PID's, but they only have support for a few vehicle types, MB is not one of them, and without the right equations, the results from the sensors worthless.

I also looked at the Launch tools, idiag and X431 specifically for Android or Iphone (I have both), but they do not let you peruse the price list for teh vehicle specific modules until you have purchased one of their ODB readers, or fully functional device, so it it hard to determine the total cost.

The Launch diagnostic tools are pretty slick from what I have seen (youtube), in that it is true bidirectional connectivity to the vehicle, and you have the ability to actuate pumps (i.e. the Brakes so you can in theory perform a brake flush without needing a hand pump, just open the valve at the caliper and activate the pump). Graphs look pretty, supports reading the same sensor suite as the Autel, and apparently mimics the Star C3 C4 and C5 functionality. Downside again, is I cannot determine the price, and from what I have read, support is almost non existent, it is also hard to figure out who actually makes the software/hardware, since I have seen a few other devices with different names... But it looks good....

Okay.. now that I am done with my diatribe... inputs, thoughts, alternatives.

I'm all for going the smart device route (iphone/ipad/android) since I have at least one of each I just listed, and a $30 BT odb reader would be great, but only if I can get the same functionality as the advanced readers.... which I have not been able to determine.

I'm building up my tool selection over the winter for a summer overhaul (car will be around 110k miles by then, I will make a separate thread for that)
* Head Bolts (maybe depending on funds, most likely OEM redesign)
* Buckets (maybe depending on funds)
* Plugs
* Brakes - Fluid, Pads, Rotors
* Serpentine Belt
* Tranny Fluid change again (this time with TC)
* Oil
* Engine Mounts (most likely, annoying vibration at idle driving me nuts)
* Secondary Air Injection Pump (what I thought I fixed I might not have, check engine is back on, and it makes a lovely noise now) and/or diverter valves and associated plumbing
* HVAC service or repair (makes annoying squeak that increases or decreases in frequency with acceleration/deceleration, but only when fan speed is not on Max or Min speed)
Old 03-05-2014, 05:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
'12 C63 Black Series, '12 ML350 BlueTech
Why don't you go with an used STAR Diag C3/C4?
A member is selling one (7/2011) for 400$ or something in the classified
Old 03-05-2014, 06:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 Mini Cooper S Clubman ALL4 - British Racing Green
I will take a look at it, but at the same time, I also have an Infiniti, and work on my friends Hondas. I am not familiar enough with Star, does it work on other models, probably not. Also, not big on being tied to a laptop.....
Old 03-05-2014, 09:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2010 C63 Estate
I have Star C3, and it works great. Was able to lower my E63 / ML63 with it.
On the E63, i was able to do VIM, disable fog lights, activate Beep on lock/unlock (as with the ML too), did lots of other things on the E63 with it.
But mine is a 01/2012 software, and for some reason i have limited functionality with the C63 though. It does need an update, and i will probably do it in the coming weeks, as i really want to have a play with the C63.

Autel Maxidas is very good. I had one of those for a little (not mine, my friends), and its a good universal scanner. But has very limited functionality on our cars, apart from reading codes, and clearing them. Just the basics. I dont know how it performs on other makes. Though, i know ALOT of models are supported.

X431 is probably by far the best universal scan tool. Alot of mechanics rave about it.

If you want real time readings, i have this little WiFi dongle that i got off ebay. PLugs into OBDII ports, and WiFi to iPhone. Works great for realtime readings.
It doesnt really pickup codes though. Well it does, but cant clear them. That cost me like $30. Good little tool though.