C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Track day at Circuit Of The Americas

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 05:29 PM

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
2010 C63
Track day at Circuit Of The Americas

I know I posted this link within another thread earlier but I figured I'd also put it out in the general viewing area . . .

BMW CCA sponsored this event at COTA last weekend. What a beautiful track. I was in the 'newbie' group - for those with < 30 in car instructor hours. That fits 'cuz I've been on track only 8 times now. The event was flawlessly organized and executed. A job well done!

At least with this group of drivers I think that the 'sledgehammer' fared pretty well against the 'scalpels'.

Old 03-25-2014, 05:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Very nice, I want to get out and run COTA myself.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
507 SEDAN
I was driving back from Houston on Sunday and saw all of the cars making their way back home from the event. I got a little jealous each time I saw another racer coming towards me with the number stickers still affixed to the window. I'm sure it was a great event.

Then I remembered,

I'M running the AMG Driving Academy at COTA in April. Totally psyched!!! It will be a dream to run the full line of cars on that track. I am doing the basic course on Friday. But I also signed up for the advanced on Saturday and Sunday. It will be a full weekend of AMG driving. Friday, basic, Saturday/Sunday, advanced, I think I planned the perfect weekend to go to "school" and to do it all in a row.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:25 PM
EkS

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
C63
I've read that a few BMW's went home on flat beds. Did you see any of that?
Old 03-25-2014, 06:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
\
nice driving, looks like the track suits the car pretty good!
Old 03-25-2014, 06:55 PM

2010 C63
Very nice, I want to get out and run COTA myself.
You certainly seem to have your finger on the pulse of driving events all over the country so I am sure you'll get out there soon enough. I am looking forward to next year already.

I'M running the AMG Driving Academy at COTA in April
You'll have a great time. I wish I signed up for all three days of this event. Instead I only did Sunday. Next year I know what to do.

Yes, but I suspect that happens at other big tracks as well. There's a smaller, more local track here in DFW that I go to the most and so far nobody has had a breakdown there. Significant number of M3's and Mustangs/Boss out there. During my sessions @ COTA we had a yellow flag for an M3 smoking heavy from under the hood and we got a black flag for a Corvette on fire.
Old 03-26-2014, 03:36 PM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
C63
Awesome. I live in Austin, but I'm not sure how to do a track day at COTA. Where did you sign up? How much was it?

The AMG event in April is $1,700, which seems like too much. I can rent out a local track and instructor for $100/hr. I already have the AMG. :-)
Old 03-26-2014, 05:12 PM

2010 C63
I came across the event on the DFWAutoClub forum. It was hosted by BMW Car Club of America. Had to join their club and then sign up for the Texas Trifecta. They had one, two, & three day packages @ $325/day.

If you have track time under your belt, great. If not, get some. I was in the group for drivers with less than 30 in car instructor hours - but I am not sure if the event organizers would allow a driver with no track experience at all. Don't let that surprise you at the last minute.
Old 03-28-2014, 02:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
507 SEDAN
Originally Posted by EkS

Yes, I saw several BMW's on flatbeds. I also saw a few others as well. It seems like some of the guys were really pushing it out there.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:20 PM

2010 C63
nice driving, looks like the track suits the car pretty good!
Thanks - but I am so anxious to get back out there 'cuz I recall a lot of areas to improve on and when I watch the video I see even MORE! The two longest straights gives plenty of time to catch/pass (nearly) whomever is in front. There are two constant radius turns that allow fairly decent speed but turns 3-7 (the S turns) have a lot of weight transfer that gives our heavy & and tail happy cars some trouble.

I managed to get up to 143 mph on the back straight :-)

Yes, I saw several BMW's on flatbeds. I also saw a few others as well. It seems like some of the guys were really pushing it out there.
A lot of cars arrived at the track on trailers. Certainly they left the same way. If you saw them on tow truck type flatbeds then that of course is different. I did not see any tow truck flatbeds in the paddock pickup of casualties.