check engine light

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 09:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 c63
check engine light

Hi guys,

Was hoping someone could maybe help me clear this check engine light or let me know what might be causing it. So recently, i had the carbanio intake installed as well as some welding done on the mid pipe (had a few leaks). Now a day after all this was done my check engine light came on. The code is the following

LARGE EVAP LEAK (i dont have the code # on hand)

Now i was doing some research and the intake involves removing those charcoal filters. Would that cause this code to come up? The o2 sensors were not touched when the intake were installed. Ive seen a few threads about people doing intake installs but didnt see any where check engine lights came on. Could someone point me in the right direction as to what i can do to clear the code or fix whatever might be causing it. Im assuming i may have to do a smoke test to check for leaks, cracked hoses or defective parts (such as the canister) but before i do any of those, any other small things i should look to see that might be setup incorrectly? Would be much appreciated, thanks!
Old 03-26-2014, 09:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
07 E63 + 07 CLK63CAB
Charcoal filter removal is your first mistake, many have seen issues and CEL after taking these out. Who ever did the install, must check for proper fitting and MAF sensor connections are solid.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 ///AMG P30
Will a tune trigger a CEL in some cars? Or enhance an existing problem ?
Old 03-26-2014, 11:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 285 Likes on 183 Posts
10 C six trizzle
the welding work.... They probably got very close to the gas tank and melted something. You are lucky your car didnt blow up or catch fire in the process or afterwards.
Unless you just left your gas cap loose.

the air box has nothing to do with causing faults in the evap system. Jesus we need some sort of sticky on this stuff, not that it would help. no one would read it.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 c63
Just an update on this as well

So nothing wrong with the mid pipe, everything is good there. Also had the intake re-inspected, no leaks there and upon taking it to mercedes, it was a purge valve issue (known issue with our cars according to them). The purge valve was stuck in the open position causing the CEL to come on. The valve actually closed by itself some few days later and the light went away.

In a few weeks, mercedes will be replacing it under warranty so just thought id let everyone know. The new intake is also fantastic, now i just have to get a re-tune from eurocharge to combine with the mid-pipe and intake