Sponsored by:

S Model C63 AMG Confirmed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 07:11 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
'16 CLS 63 S
Originally Posted by Diabolis
Once you take the numbers into account, a DCT would be a rather expensive proposition for an entry-level AMG car that would probably have to cost $15K more in order for MB to recoup their R&D costs on the same, seeing as it would definitely negatively impact the number of vehicles they would sell. I hate to point this out, but people that are after a proper weekend track warrior where the 0.05 second gain in shift time matters all buy an M3 without a sunroof instead.
Except the CLA 45 is now the entry level AMG and it comes with a DCT. I'm fairly confident in saying we will see a 4-Matic C class AMG with DCT in the W205 platform at some point. May come out in another year or two when the new coupe comes out, but could be another year or two after that. Either way, I would not be surprised if it was part of the mid-cycle refresh, like the MCT was for the 204.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 795 Likes on 546 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Originally Posted by edwardsflight33
Except the CLA 45 is now the entry level AMG and it comes with a DCT. I'm fairly confident in saying we will see a 4-Matic C class AMG with DCT in the W205 platform at some point. May come out in another year or two when the new coupe comes out, but could be another year or two after that. Either way, I would not be surprised if it was part of the mid-cycle refresh, like the MCT was for the 204.
The DCT in the CLA45 doesn't have to deal with 500 lb-ft of torque (plus it was pretty jerky to boot when I drove it). It's the same thing with a VW Golf. The game changes somewhat once you up the power though.

P.S. Yes, we might see a 4-Matic version of the C AMG, but where would the fun be in that? It would drive like an Audi RS4.

Last edited by Diabolis; 03-31-2014 at 10:47 AM.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:18 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
'16 CLS 63 S
Like you said earlier 94-95% of buyers only want the badge and numbers to boast about. 4-Matic and DCT would be just that; 4 > 2 and 2 > 1.

For others like me who can't afford a track car and a daily driver, 4-Matic would be nice to have. I was lucky we had a mild winter with no snow because I currently live up a hill. Two years from now I may live in Texas or in Colorado, it would be nice to have the confidence that I could get into my driveway if I live up a hill in Colorado.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Originally Posted by edwardsflight33
Like you said earlier 94-95% of buyers only want the badge and numbers to boast about. 4-Matic and DCT would be just that; 4 > 2 and 2 > 1.

For others like me who can't afford a track car and a daily driver, 4-Matic would be nice to have. I was lucky we had a mild winter with no snow because I currently live up a hill. Two years from now I may live in Texas or in Colorado, it would be nice to have the confidence that I could get into my driveway if I live up a hill in Colorado.
I am with you 100%. I also use the C63 as my DD, and we had a fair amount of snow this winter in Toronto. While it is usually an OK car to drive year-round with dedicated snow tires, there were a couple of days when I barely - and I mean just barely - managed to get up my own driveway which is ~50m long with a 2-3% incline, with new Pirelli Sotto Zeros (they suck), and I have an LSD so both rears are actually driven. It was the first time I have ever smelled burnt rubber in 8" of snow. There's no question that a 4WD car is more practical. In the S4 and RS4 I previously drove (both manual) you wouldn't even notice that there was something slippery on the ground.
Old 03-31-2014, 01:47 PM

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts
MY19AMG GT-C; MY14C63-507 - former Audi B6 S4
Originally Posted by Diabolis
I am with you 100%. I also use the C63 as my DD, and we had a fair amount of snow this winter in Toronto. While it is usually an OK car to drive year-round with dedicated snow tires, there were a couple of days when I barely - and I mean just barely - managed to get up my own driveway which is ~50m long with a 2-3% incline, with new Pirelli Sotto Zeros (they suck), and I have an LSD so both rears are actually driven. It was the first time I have ever smelled burnt rubber in 8" of snow. There's no question that a 4WD car is more practical. In the S4 and RS4 I previously drove (both manual) you wouldn't even notice that there was something slippery on the ground.

Just wanted to add onto the thread here about Quattro vs. RWD. For us here in NYC, the winter was a bit brutal. The cold temperatures were easy to deal with as long as you were properly dressed. The fact that we had so much snow/ice on the streets was what was bad! Usually, we would have a massive melting scenario 1-3 days post winter storm. This year, it was too cold for melting.

With the C, getting out of parking spots was a bit challenging on a few occasions. When the ice was around, it took a few good pushes, road salt and me sitting in the trunk to get traction to pull out of parking spots. This was with Dunlop Winter Sports. The S4 never had this issue with the same tires!

I remember getting stuck on an incline in the snow (Palisades Pkwy at the NY/NJ border going towards NJ for the NYCers on the board) with the snow coming down hard. the plows had not been out and the road was snow-packed. Cars couldn't get up the road. I went into the quasi-emergency lane, went up the hill, found the "U-turn by Law Enforcement Only" cutout, made my U-turn and went on my way without issue. Traction was so strong with the S4. Even when you turned the TC off, it took every bad driving habit to induce oversteer. LOL But, nothing beats the acceleration and sound of the M156 in the Lincoln Tunnel! Brightens up any bad day.

-C
Old 03-31-2014, 02:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LOL. The second time I got stuck, I ended up popping my trunk open and asking two good Samaritans to sit in it so I could make it up the driveway. With the extra 300 lbs over the rear wheels, it made it up.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB
Originally Posted by estrellajon
Ha. For second I thought I lost my English language comprehension.
Try reading it out loud