C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

507 vs Corvette Stingray

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 09:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
many
507 vs Corvette Stingray

Currently owns a 4x4, 2dr compact sport, and a useles c300 sedan under lease that I want to get ride of. Have an order down for the new vette. I am also thinking of trading in the 2dr and end the c300 lease without a penalty for a new benz, perhaps the dealer will alow me to da that. However I have to give up the new vette and there is nothing in the mb lineup that is attractive. Seems like only non amg CLAs come with a manual.

I dont need back seat, practibility, ride quality or branding prestige.Only reason I am considering the 507 is that it maybe the last great NA V8 from the germans. So what are your opinions? Anyway to retrofit a manual tranny on the w204 AMGs?

Last edited by ft86; 04-15-2014 at 09:13 PM.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
'12 C63 Black Series, '12 ML350 BlueTech
Originally Posted by ft86
..... Anyway to retrofit a manual tranny on the w204 AMGs?
What for?
Old 04-15-2014, 11:07 PM

c63 amg
Have you sat in both?

The 507 has a way much nicer interior. Depends on what your looking for.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:11 PM

many
Originally Posted by c63canada
Have you sat in both?

The 507 has a way much nicer interior. Depends on what your looking for.
The new vette is way ahead than the prior one. Can't imagine 507 being much different from a C300. The platform is still based on an executive sedan ergonomics are not tailored towards track driving.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts
'20 GLC300 SUV
The new vette is way ahead than the prior one. Can't imagine 507 being much different from a C300. The platform is still based on an executive sedan ergonomics are not tailored towards track driving.
Well, the C63 is substantially different from a C300 on the inside. The seats in the C63 sedan are some of the best out there.

But, it sounds like you've made your decision. Have fun with the 'vette.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:36 PM

C63 ///AMG P30
I'm not a big fan of GM and never a fan of vettes. Every time I sit in one , reminds me of a rental car.

I would get a 997TT over any vette. 997TT last Mezger engine and 6 speed for 911s. Better investment in my opinion
Old 04-15-2014, 11:43 PM

2010 C63 P30
My 2c for you is go for the vette 100%

Yes the 507 might be the last of the German NA v8s, and it is a mighty one. But at the same time the new vette is no slouch and is a much more track and driver oriented car than the C63.

Also no you cant really get a 6speed manual C63. I have never head of one and it would be a hell of a big project considering MB does not even develop a manual of any kind. So no-go on that. I wish.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 246 Likes on 156 Posts
2023 EQS 580
Originally Posted by estrellajon
I'm not a big fan of GM and never a fan of vettes. Every time I sit in one , reminds me of a rental car.
You have not sat in the new stingray. Yes we know the previous C5/6 interior was crap but the C7 is a different animal.
I have not sat in a 507 and I dont know the difference between the 507 and the regular C63, but I would say that loaded 3LT C7 rivals the interior of the C63 coupe I test drove.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:42 AM

2015 E63S AMG
Currently owns a 4x4, 2dr compact sport, and a useles c300 sedan under lease that I want to get ride of. Have an order down for the new vette. I am also thinking of trading in the 2dr and end the c300 lease without a penalty for a new benz, perhaps the dealer will alow me to da that. However I have to give up the new vette and there is nothing in the mb lineup that is attractive. Seems like only non amg CLAs come with a manual.

I dont need back seat, practibility, ride quality or branding prestige.Only reason I am considering the 507 is that it maybe the last great NA V8 from the germans. So what are your opinions? Anyway to retrofit a manual tranny on the w204 AMGs?

I came from a 2012 C300 and can tell you the 507 is a completely different car. It may be the same chassis, but the drive is nothing the same. Steering, how it holds the road, of course the power and sound, the look, and overall sturdy feel. I was also considering the vette, but the issue I have with the vette, is they fall apart after a couple years of road abuse, and are not a comfortable car to drive other than on a Sunday at a time. The 507 has the comfort of a DD and the power of a Sunday driving car. You can also do what I did to change it up and go for the coupe instead of sedan. Anyway, good luck
Old 04-16-2014, 06:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 AMG
drive them
Old 04-16-2014, 09:25 PM

C63 ///AMG P30
Originally Posted by Tjdehya
You have not sat in the new stingray. Yes we know the previous C5/6 interior was crap but the C7 is a different animal. I have not sat in a 507 and I dont know the difference between the 507 and the regular C63, but I would say that loaded 3LT C7 rivals the interior of the C63 coupe I test drove.
I've sat in both C7 definitely improved but still not quite there . they're not rare. It's all over Northern Virginia . In comparison, I like the interior of a new Dodge Viper better. I've sat and driven a 507 and I think interior looks better than C7 Stingray.

Last edited by estrellajon; 04-16-2014 at 09:29 PM.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:46 PM

2010 C63 P30
Here you go:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949902

I thought I would post a short review comparing these 3 cars for those interested. It is a bit of a difficult comparison as they are somewhat different cars... the C7 being by far the most purpose built sports car of the three with the other two being the more practical cars.

Also, I haven't had the C7 at the track yet for a comparison there but I had the chance to put 100 miles on it yesterday and was able to push it pretty hard so I think I have a very good feel for it. Both my E92 M3 and C63 saw lots of track time so I think I know those cars well.

Exterior Design:

Subjective for sure. To me, the C7 in person is stunningly beautiful and exotic looking. It cannot be captured well in pictures and none I have seen (including those below) do it justice. It is aggressive looking, low, wide and draws a ton (too much really) attention. For a pure sports car look it is ahead of the other two IMO. The E92 M3 would be close in looks IMO but is more tame and stands out a bit less. More of a sleeper but very beautiful in its own right. For me, the C63 is third. This, however, he personal and subjective.

Interior Design and tech:

The C7 has come a LONG way. IMO, it is now on par with the interior quality of either the M3 or C63. The seats are fantastic, beautifully and designed. They are the most supportive of the 3 (and they are the standard seats, the competition seats would be moreso). High quality feel everywhere. Fit and finish is high. The technology is also amazing with a HUGE amount of customization in the gauges, settings, etc. The touch screen works well and is crisp. The HUD is something I have grown to love and think every sports car should have one... being able to see RPM, speed and G force without looking down is awesome.

Interior design is subjective and I think all three are similar in design, quality and fit/finish. Which one you personally like better is subjective. This is where the C7 has made, IMO, one of its most significant strides.

Engine/exhaust:

From a "feel" and sound perspective, the M3 is stlll the best IMO. The sound and smoothness of a red line pull is unmatched IMO. I think this is something the M4 will not be able to match and that is unfortunate.

The C7 engine feels great and sounds great too. It is very similar in sound and feel to the C63. They both are very responsive and provide HUGE torque. They also sound incredibly mean and purposeful. The one area they are better than the E92 M3 is in torque... they are brutal. The C7 even moreso than the C63... more torque and less weight so that doesn't surprise me. At 55 mph on the highway, the C7 will throw you back in your seat when you drop the pedal. The acceleration is fast and brutal. Subjectively (and I suppose as has been tested) it is notably the fastest of the three and it feels it. It is almost scary fast to me as it sneaks up on you.

The C7 and C63 sound the best from an exhaust perspective IMO. The C63 sounds the deepest and most muscle car like. The C7 is similar but with a bit more of a "European" sound than the C63. The M3 is the most subdued. The nice thing about the C7 is you can put it in "quiet" mode and it s similar to the M3 or in "loud" mode and it is similar (maybe louder) than the C63.

Handling:

I would rate these as C7 #1, M3 #2 and C63 #3.

The C7 feels subjectively much lighter and more nimble than either the M3 or the C63. It also has better grip with the Z51 specific tread compound in the PSS tires. The car corners flatter than the other two, has far less understeer and the steering is the most direct and responsive. The M3 would be next and the C63 last IMO. This is as you would expect IMO. The C7 is a purpose built sports car, lighter and more track focused. The M3, however, compares very favourably which speaks volumes about it.

Other:

To this day, I miss my E92 M3. I loved that car. The C7 will fill the void in my soul better than the C63 did. The C7 is far more visceral, more "exciting" and more like a race car. It is also less practical (although still not bad).

The C7 MT is very good... similar to the MT in my first M3 but with shorter throws. Very easy to use. The C7's rev matching in the MT is outstanding. I am very proficient at heel/toe work but the C7 is as good or better than I am. I'm not sure if I will use it at the track or not but it works exceptionally well (surprisingly well) and is a ton of fun.

The seating position is VERY low in the C7 and the cockpit feels like a real cockpit. It will be a good DD but not as good as either the M3 or C63.

I have been fortunate to have owned all three and all three are amazing cars. The C7 is the most purpose built, most visceral, most "fun" and highest performing of the 3 but that is expected. The M3 is the best track/DD blend and is a car I still lust after even today. It is stellar. The C63 is a bit like the C7 (engine, sound, power) and a bit like the M3 (DD ability and comfort) but not quite as good as either overall IMO. Still a stellar car.

Here's where the other two can't compete... the C7 was $70,000CDN, the C63 was $82,000CDN and the M3 was $91,000CDN. I know the US pricing gap may not as dramatic. The C7, IMO, wins regardless but when you include price it is no longer even a fair fight unless you need 4 seats.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:45 PM

C63 ///AMG P30
Seems like a weird comparison as it seems to be In different categories. I would place the C7 comparisons to sports cars like Viper, 997tt, SRT8, etc. due to designed performance and hp. Ergonomics would be somewhat different as well,. Track oriented vs Grand Touring

Last edited by estrellajon; 04-17-2014 at 05:47 AM.
Old 09-12-2014, 09:45 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
2013 C63 Coupe
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/gm-rei...--finance.html

I would never buy any GM product... Wasn't there a recent report from car and driver where they blew the engine only their C7 only after 3,000 to 5,000 miles?

I did consider the C7; but glad I didn't. Some things change, some remain the same.
Old 09-12-2014, 11:06 PM

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts
2009 C63 P30, 2008 Grand Cherokee SRT8(RIP)
The engine did spin a rod bearing and*was a complete writeoff BUT what you are insinuating isn't an accurate stone being cast at the vette engine....they tracked it down to an internal failure in the oil filter by which metal fragments were sent into the oil flow when the oil filter's internals came apart... $10k motor killed by a $6 filter doesn't make the entire motor production line flawed....just bad luck
Old 09-12-2014, 11:15 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
2013 C63 Coupe
Originally Posted by jptaylor
The engine did spin a rod bearing and*was a complete writeoff BUT what you are insinuating isn't an accurate stone being cast at the vette engine....they tracked it down to an internal failure in the oil filter by which metal fragments were sent into the oil flow when the oil filter's internals came apart... $10k motor killed by a $6 filter doesn't make the entire motor production line flawed....just bad luck
Ok. How does one explain all the other issues at GM? I am not insinuating anything, just sharing what's out there in the public domain.

Yahoo article titled, "GM reins in sale of Chevrolet Corvettes due to issues"
Old 09-13-2014, 09:44 AM

Ford Truck, 2014 C63 AMG 507
IMO comparing a 507 and C7 is a little tough. The C7 is a sports car and the 507 is a luxury sport. One is a 2-seater and the other has a rear seat.

There are cars that are better track cars than a 507. (C7, RS5, M3, M4 and more) But for me, I might track a car once a year… maybe.

You need to drive all models your considering on the same road surfaces and conditions, hopefully the roads will be similar to what you typically drive. Comfort will vary.

For me, I compared the M’s, RS, Std C63 AMG and the 507. The Corvette really wasn’t in the mix. I do like the car but I’m not supporting a company that can’t survive without We The People propping them up with $50 billion in 2009.
Can’t properly operate a business… close the door.