C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

keyless-go will lock/unlock but is not detected when I try to start the car with it

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 02:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts
C63 coupe, Z3M Roadster garage queen
keyless-go will lock/unlock but is not detected when I try to start the car with it

What the subject line says - my keyless-go spare will lock & unlock the doors if I push the tabs on it, and it'll let me use the door handle to lock & unlock if the fob is in my pocket, but when I try to start the car with it I get a "key not detected" message on the dash. This is the first time I've tried using this key. The car is a 2012 that I've had for about six months. I've got nothing else in my pocket to interfere. Any advice?
Old 05-17-2014, 03:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts
05 CL65
Key needs programmed. When I got my CL it only came with one key. Ordered a second from the dealership and when it arrived it worked like yours, everything fine except keyless go. Had to take it in to the stealer ship and have it "coded".
Old 05-17-2014, 06:10 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
E63S
You could try starting the car using the key in the ignition, after first removing the starter button. This might allow the car to recognise the key and save you a trip to the dealer. I have had this happen once with mine (I just can't remember if I had the "Key Not Detected" message or not), and when I used it in the ignition switch it worked fine and no problems since (though no doubt I will as soon as I finish typing this)...
Old 05-17-2014, 12:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by JimmyR
You could try starting the car using the key in the ignition, after first removing the starter button. This might allow the car to recognise the key and save you a trip to the dealer. I have had this happen once with mine (I just can't remember if I had the "Key Not Detected" message or not), and when I used it in the ignition switch it worked fine and no problems since (though no doubt I will as soon as I finish typing this)...
Thanks JimmyR - this didn't solve the problem but it helped. I'd never removed the start/stop button and actually started the car with the key in the ignitin before, and I now know that I can use the spare if I get in a bind. Unfortunately, I'm still getting the "Key Not Detected" message when I try to start it without putting the key in the ignition.
Old 05-17-2014, 04:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 C63
Replace keyless-go battery?
Old 05-17-2014, 05:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts
'20 GLC300 SUV
Originally Posted by Suepermann
+1 (if all else fails, this is a fairly cheap solution)

However, OP, you might want to try this first . . .

My key does this too if I've spent too much time around the car with my key in my pocket. The keyless entry will work just fine but the key won't be detected at start-up. If I simply move the key toward the steering column (without taking out the Start/Stop button), the car will pick it up and subsequently start just fine.
Old 05-17-2014, 05:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

We've got a good answer!

I drug my feet on the battery change - with the car in the garage, I could lock/unlock with the key fob from most of the rooms in the house, so the battery seemed like it wasn't a problem. I replaced it anyway, and things now work perfectly.

This forum is awesome - thanks guys!

Last edited by zcct04; 05-18-2014 at 11:51 PM.
Old 05-18-2014, 10:06 PM

2011 C63
I don't post much as you can see, but I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in. I'm always replacing the keyless-go after I receive the 'key not detected message". If I wait to replace the battery, I'll usually get the "replace battery message" some time later.

Next i'm gonna try the 2032 battery vs the 2025. Not sure if it will fit….but what the heck!!! Maybe I can get more life and stability out of the keyless-go.

Anyways, glad to help.
Old 05-19-2014, 04:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
'10 C63
i've had this happen even after a new battery... it's possible it could be a bigger issue...

one time the car wouldn't even unlock for me when i was next to the car... but i could use the button on the key to unlock the car... when it wasn't unlocking, you would see a message on the dash saying this PRE-SAFE CONDITIONS LIMITED. SEE OPERATOR'S MANUAL...

i ended up taking it to the dealer and they traced it to a short in the wiring on of the receiver antennas in the driver's door.
Old 05-19-2014, 05:02 PM

2011 C63 P31, 2012 ML350, 2007 335i E93
Battery

Originally Posted by zcct04
I drug my feet on the battery change - with the car in the garage, I could lock/unlock with the key fob from most of the rooms in the house, so the battery seemed like it wasn't a problem. I replaced it anyway, and things now work perfectly.

This forum is awesome - thanks guys!

Sme with keyless-go on my C63 and ML. New battery and no more issues.
Old 02-18-2016, 07:01 AM

c350
Key not detected

Originally Posted by bluejae
i've had this happen even after a new battery... it's possible it could be a bigger issue...

one time the car wouldn't even unlock for me when i was next to the car... but i could use the button on the key to unlock the car... when it wasn't unlocking, you would see a message on the dash saying this PRE-SAFE CONDITIONS LIMITED. SEE OPERATOR'S MANUAL...

i ended up taking it to the dealer and they traced it to a short in the wiring on of the receiver antennas in the driver's door.
I too had been experiencing the issue with my C350. Dealer says they couldn't reproduce the alarm but said that one of the door handle was an issue. I changed the handle last year. Problems still there. Yesterday my car wont start. It's going to cost me over $1200 to change the EIS. I wonder if the problem was the EIS all along. I read lot of thread relating to the EIS failing. I know this is on old thread you posted.
Old 02-18-2016, 12:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
'18 C63A Cabriolet
Originally Posted by zcct04
What the subject line says - my keyless-go spare will lock & unlock the doors if I push the tabs on it, and it'll let me use the door handle to lock & unlock if the fob is in my pocket, but when I try to start the car with it I get a "key not detected" message on the dash. This is the first time I've tried using this key. The car is a 2012 that I've had for about six months. I've got nothing else in my pocket to interfere. Any advice?
Mine did the same thing. Replaced the keyfob battery and all was well again.
Old 02-18-2016, 12:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Next time i'm gonna try the 2032 battery vs the 2025. Not sure if it will fit….but what the heck!!! Maybe I can get more life and stability out of the keyless-go..
Tried this yesterday on my 2012 keyfobs. 2032 battery does NOT fit.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 286 Likes on 184 Posts
10 C six trizzle
just throwing this some more info out there for future reference. If you have an rf-id blocker in your wallet or purse it will cause issues with blocking the signal for keyless go. Additionally depending on the conditions your key sits in .... In some cases static electricity can charge the key up and disable the chips temporarily. All it takes is that you press any button and it will go back to normal and work again.

If this repeatedly occurs, Id recommend picking up one of the leather or rubber key covers to help protect from electro-static discharge.
Old 02-20-2016, 07:49 PM

c350
Car repaired for not starting

Originally Posted by bigg dogg
I too had been experiencing the issue with my C350. Dealer says they couldn't reproduce the alarm but said that one of the door handle was an issue. I changed the handle last year. Problems still there. Yesterday my car wont start. It's going to cost me over $1200 to change the EIS. I wonder if the problem was the EIS all along. I read lot of thread relating to the EIS failing. I know this is on old thread you posted.

Chip removed and code for new assembly installed to recognize key. 1200 bucks.
Old 02-20-2016, 07:50 PM

c350
Chip removed and code for new assembly installed to recognize key. 1200 bucks.