Print Wikipost

octane booster bad for the car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 10:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 Mini Cooper S Clubman ALL4 - British Racing Green
The carbon build up seen on most N54 BMW engines is due to the nature of Direct Injection. Direct Injection engines seems to suffer heavy carbon buildup. BMW even has a special tool that used in conjunction with an air blaster/walnet shells and a shop vac cleans out the carbon (after removing the manifold).

Heavy carbon buildup can cause knocking and ticket (enough buildup and the tolerance between the top of the piston and the valves goes out the window).

All this talk of gas types is really irrelevant. Deposit buildup forms quickest when the engine has an issue. Many of us have head intake manifold gasket problems (a known issue), some of us have had fuel injection problems, and many others that cause the engine to run lean, or rich. It is under those circumstances that Deposits form. Same goes for driving hard before the engine has come up to temp.

Additionally, driving before the cats come to operating temp also causes issues, blocked or fouled up cats..

If it's ticking, pull one of the plugs (or all of them), and go rent a scope and look to see what the cylinders look like, and then go from there.
Old 08-17-2014, 06:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 C63 AW
I didn't see Sunoco listed as a Top Tier gas. Kind of surprised. I was under the impression it was one of the best out there.

Max - is the car still pinging? Are you sure it's an internal ping?
Old 08-17-2014, 09:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 Lexus GS 430, 2012 C63 AMG w/ pp
Originally Posted by -Marlin-
I didn't see Sunoco listed as a Top Tier gas. Kind of surprised. I was under the impression it was one of the best out there.

Max - is the car still pinging? Are you sure it's an internal ping?
Wouldn't Sunoco just fall under the petro brand now? All the GTA sunocos have been branded petro canada for a while now.
Old 08-17-2014, 11:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 C63 AW
I don't know. I was hoping someone could provide clarification because it's my go to gas station for my cars. I like to consistently use the same place. Little superstitious I guess.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 761 Likes on 527 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Originally Posted by yesh
Wouldn't Sunoco just fall under the petro brand now? All the GTA sunocos have been branded petro canada for a while now.
It is in Canada (or at least Ontario). It was actually Suncor Energy (Sunoco) that bought Petro Canada, but they decided to rebrand all of their stations to Petro Canada instead of Sunoco. Same gas, just a differnt name.

Another thing I recently noticed is that now all Esso stations in the GTA have 93 octane fuel. Happened in the last few months. No complaints so far.