C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

ECU Flash and Warranty

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 11:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 AMG
ECU Flash and Warranty

Has anyone had a tune and it voided their warranty when trying to service a relatively expensive repair?

or conversely... has anyone had a tune (maybe eurocharged through obd port), run into a mechanical engine issue/expensive repair, reflashed to stock, so undetected) and then let the warranty cover the cost of repair?

sorry if this has been discussed. I know the ecu/warranty issue has been a long topic of discussion but just wanted to see if anyone has run into any of those scenarios. thanks for responding guys.

i ask because i am looking to get the eurocharged v5 tune.
Old 06-11-2014, 04:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 C63 AW
I don't know.

BUT I don't have the kind of bank to make the risk worth it if something goes horribly wrong and my dealer wants to find a reason to hand me a bill.
Old 06-11-2014, 06:20 PM

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
2011 C63
This has been discussed a lot on almost all car forums. The key is that if you make a mod that is responsible for the failure, then it's your nickel. And that's only fair. So anyone that toasts their engine because of a tune and then re-installs the stock tune to fool the car manufacturer is guilty of fraud.

I guess it comes down to the old adage: You play, you pay.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:36 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
C63 AMG
A tune and reversal to stock may not be detectable at the dealer level but I bet it is a different matter if the ECU is pulled and sent to MB USA or Germany

It will depend on failure mode
If it is over rev'ed one thing
Just some failed electrical components something else

Technically if you 'tune' or alter the ecu software it is a Federal violation and/or crime
So they can walk away from it if they choose to play hardball
Old 06-11-2014, 07:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 Barolo red C63 AMG (SOLD).13' P31 c63 coupe 2012 porsche panamera
I'd have a talk with your service manager and see where they stand on mods.

I just posted a thread, and as you can see it's very modded. Warranty work is still done on my car till this day.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Gotta be ready to pay if you wanna to play.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:28 PM

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
2012 C63 P31 sedan
If you are not willing to pay the cost of a new engine out of pocket then you should not tune your motor. Regular warranty work should be no issue getting that covered, but if your engine goes it's going above your service advisor's head then you'll be at the mercy of corporate.

Lot's of people own C63s and other similar vehicles that are no longer covered by warranties so you'll have to decide whether forfeiting the remainder of your warranty is an issue for you. Don't expect to be able to play hardball with corporate and win.
Old 06-12-2014, 01:31 AM

C63 AMG
Thanks guys. I think right now I may hold off on it. I have 3 years of warranty and feel like if something were to go...I would rather the car be stock than tuned. Was just wondering if through the obd port if there is a trace or not of the ecu being flashed and what is that trace exactly. I know the guys at eurocharged say it's virtually impossible to detect but wanted to get your guys opinions.

Mainly concerned with something about to go, but because tune is just present, they can void it. I don't drive it hard, just a little fun every now and then
Old 06-12-2014, 01:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 Barolo red C63 AMG (SOLD).13' P31 c63 coupe 2012 porsche panamera
Originally Posted by datamg
Thanks guys. I think right now I may hold off on it. I have 3 years of warranty and feel like if something were to go...I would rather the car be stock than tuned. Was just wondering if through the obd port if there is a trace or not of the ecu being flashed and what is that trace exactly. I know the guys at eurocharged say it's virtually impossible to detect but wanted to get your guys opinions.

Mainly concerned with something about to go, but because tune is just present, they can void it. I don't drive it hard, just a little fun every now and then
Just saying, if anything were to ever happen, itll be way later in your engines life, after warranty is up. These are extremely reliable engines and can take a crazy beating. My old 09 with 85k MILES header and tuned with countless racing, drag strips, circuits.
Old 06-12-2014, 02:17 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
'18 Audi A4
Originally Posted by datamg

You also have to realize the reliability of these tunes. There's plenty of documentation on this forum and others that show the consistency and reliability of these tunes, proven by dyno chart results and customer feedback. Talking to your service provider is also key as mentioned earlier. Propose the possible future upgrades and their impact on your service there.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:10 AM

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Conv_GSDriver
You also have to realize the reliability of these tunes. There's plenty of documentation on this forum and others that show the consistency and reliability of these tunes, proven by dyno chart results and customer feedback. Talking to your service provider is also key as mentioned earlier. Propose the possible future upgrades and their impact on your service there.
I will probably look for a dealer that is "mod friendly" in San Diego and then go from there. If anyone knows of some all pms are appreciated!!

I know the tunes are reliable, but those headbolts...
Old 06-12-2014, 10:11 AM

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by MaroonC63
Just saying, if anything were to ever happen, itll be way later in your engines life, after warranty is up. These are extremely reliable engines and can take a crazy beating. My old 09 with 85k MILES header and tuned with countless racing, drag strips, circuits.
My warranty is 3yr/unlimited miles. Realistically may hit 60k by the end.