C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Newb question about the 6.2L engine

Old 06-17-2014, 10:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
none
Newb question about the 6.2L engine

Hello I am new here and am interested in possibly purchasing a used C63 in the next few months. I read about the head bolt issue and it was solved in 2011. I also read about the lifter issue on the M156 engine and how the M159 has a revised lifter design. Does anyone know if the M159 lifter design was used on post 2010 C63 AMG cars? Or would the lifter problem still be an issue on the 2011-2014 C63 cars?

I also read factory service manuals are not available for these cars. I like to do all my own work when possible (former auto technician) and was wondering if the E63 cars with the M156 have factory service manuals available ? I was thinking if so, I could use those manuals to reference the M156 engine information at least.

Thanks in advance. I am usually into American Muscle, but after driving the C63 the other day, it is a beast! I love this engine! I think this car would be perfect for my mid life crisis. lol If I cant easily find manuals to work on this car, I will probably could purchase a 2012-2013 CPO car with a factory warranty. Thanks
Old 06-17-2014, 10:50 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
'18 Audi A4
I'm on your same boat, purchased one very recent and used this service manual I got online to reference some of the required maintenance, for example, the diff fluid was done at 2k as recommended, but not at 40k miles and the car is at 50k. I got the selling dealer to perfom that with the nearest MB service dealer prior to the sale. Hope this helps and good luck.
Attached Files
Old 06-17-2014, 11:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 375 Likes on 335 Posts
2014 E63 AMGs, 2015 F-150 Lariat, 2010 Porsche C4S
Originally Posted by 2MCHPSI
Hello I am new here and am interested in possibly purchasing a used C63 in the next few months. I read about the head bolt issue and it was solved in 2011. I also read about the lifter issue on the M156 engine and how the M159 has a revised lifter design. Does anyone know if the M159 lifter design was used on post 2010 C63 AMG cars? Or would the lifter problem still be an issue on the 2011-2014 C63 cars?

I also read factory service manuals are not available for these cars. I like to do all my own work when possible (former auto technician) and was wondering if the E63 cars with the M156 have factory service manuals available ? I was thinking if so, I could use those manuals to reference the M156 engine information at least.

Thanks in advance. I am usually into American Muscle, but after driving the C63 the other day, it is a beast! I love this engine! I think this car would be perfect for my mid life crisis. lol If I cant easily find manuals to work on this car, I will probably could purchase a 2012-2013 CPO car with a factory warranty. Thanks

2011+ got the new headbolts and lifters. If the dealer does a replacement on older cars, they get the updated lifters as well.

You can get the maintenance by getting a paid subscription here:

http://www.startekinfo.com/StarTek/subscribe.jsp

Regards,

Joe
Old 06-17-2014, 11:17 PM

none
Thanks for the maintenance manual. that is a good reference for me. the manual I asked about earlier is a factory technical service manual, which is different. I know MB releases them after the car goes out of production. So I heard anyway. Thanks again. How do you like the car so far?
Old 06-17-2014, 11:18 PM

none
Originally Posted by Valvestud
2011+ got the new headbolts and lifters. If the dealer does a replacement on older cars, they get the updated lifters as well.

Regards,

Joe
Thanks Joe for clarifying about the lifters!
Old 06-18-2014, 07:39 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 AMG E63s
Originally Posted by Valvestud

Regards,

Joe
Yup, my understanding is that no MB maintenance manuals are available until a few years after production starts. Joe - how is the startek product? Worth it for us shade tree mechanics working at home? Is the cost moderate?

OP, get a C63. I just got one myself and it was the best decision I've made in a long time (mid life be damned!) There's lot of support on the forums to help with simple maintenance, as well, fyi.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 375 Likes on 335 Posts
2014 E63 AMGs, 2015 F-150 Lariat, 2010 Porsche C4S
Originally Posted by jcfay
Yup, my understanding is that no MB maintenance manuals are available until a few years after production starts. Joe - how is the startek product? Worth it for us shade tree mechanics working at home? Is the cost moderate?

OP, get a C63. I just got one myself and it was the best decision I've made in a long time (mid life be damned!) There's lot of support on the forums to help with simple maintenance, as well, fyi.
The MB Startek is the same that MB techs use. It's complete, current, and until you get used to it, very cumbersome. It's very expensive on anything but a daily basis. Typically I would buy a one day subscription and print everything I needed.

I now use Alldatadiy.com but there's a several year lag before the info is available. They are up to 2012 for the C.

Regards,

Joe