Sponsored by:

C63 Year Differences?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 03:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
G63, SLS Black Series, C63 Blackseries
C63 Year Differences?

Can somebody real briefly explain what the difference is between 09-14 C63's are? I know there were some front bumper changes and the interior center console is different? What about the transmission? Did they ever move to a DCT tranny or is it the same auto? Thanks
Old 07-17-2014, 08:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C63
Being in a 2009 model, from what I've noticed from my frequent model line stare-downs and all four seat sit-ins @ the dealerships (during bi-weekly complimentary washes), you seem to have covered everything. I think.

Anyway, sat in one on Saturday morning and here is my .02 cents; others will likely add more detail and/or correct me if I'm wrong.

*2008-2011 models are identical
*2012s on up are are refresh models
*Nicer, more E-class-like interiors (mostly the dashboard; console looked the same)............newly designed center controls, no more popup screen; it's set in place
*Front end is changed - lamps are redesigned and that LED strip below the lamps is the dead giveaway (from a distance)
*Transmission is now an MCT......AMG Speedshift w/torque converter - gone.
*Some suspension retuning to quell the ***-happiness and (allegedly) harsh ride was also done.
*Coulda sworn I saw more plug-in adaptors in the console storage thing under the armrest. (What the %$#! do you call those things?! Dammit.)

And that might be it for the C63s in terms of standard feature upgrades/enhancements.

Pretty sure there were powertrain changes with the C250/350s - the C250 with the 1.8 TT / C350 with a new 60-degree & more powerful V-6; old one was 90-degree........but that wasn't the question.

What did I miss?
Old 07-19-2014, 03:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
G63, SLS Black Series, C63 Blackseries
Originally Posted by Mitch111
Being in a 2009 model, from what I've noticed from my frequent model line stare-downs and all four seat sit-ins @ the dealerships (during bi-weekly complimentary washes), you seem to have covered everything. I think.

Anyway, sat in one on Saturday morning and here is my .02 cents; others will likely add more detail and/or correct me if I'm wrong.

*2008-2011 models are identical
*2012s on up are are refresh models
*Nicer, more E-class-like interiors (mostly the dashboard; console looked the same)............newly designed center controls, no more popup screen; it's set in place
*Front end is changed - lamps are redesigned and that LED strip below the lamps is the dead giveaway (from a distance)
*Transmission is now an MCT......AMG Speedshift w/torque converter - gone.
*Some suspension retuning to quell the ***-happiness and (allegedly) harsh ride was also done.
*Coulda sworn I saw more plug-in adaptors in the console storage thing under the armrest. (What the %$#! do you call those things?! Dammit.)

And that might be it for the C63s in terms of standard feature upgrades/enhancements.

Pretty sure there were powertrain changes with the C250/350s - the C250 with the 1.8 TT / C350 with a new 60-degree & more powerful V-6; old one was 90-degree........but that wasn't the question.

What did I miss?
Thanks for the reply, do you know if the MCT is much better than the previous autobox?
Old 07-19-2014, 04:14 AM

E92 M3
Originally Posted by BLKM3
Thanks for the reply, do you know if the MCT is much better than the previous autobox?
I wouldnt want a non MCT tranny.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:53 AM

2009 C63
Originally Posted by BLKM3
Never having experience it, for the most part I defer to those that have......and I suspect Mike3 has; that's the prevailing viewpoint.

A double or dual-clutch transmission is said to be the best, i.e., one like the Audi dual-clutch (one of, if not THE best), not the AMG built DCT, which I hear is a dissappointment.

That said, I'm cool with my torque converter automatic, possibly out of inexperience, or dare I say, ignorance.

You see, for its time the pre-refresh transmission is not bad in my view, keeping in mind the vehicles were released in mid-late 2007. Shifts are sufficiently quick (for me), it downshifts perfectly to aid decelleration/save a little brake pad in both C and S modes, with nice - sometimes loud - rev-matching downshifts in S and M, so I'm a happy camper.

Not to mention, according to Car & Driver in a Nov. 2007 comparo vs. the M3 and RS4..........."best automatic ever" was one of the pluses. The only other comparable one is the Lexus IS-F's, but again, these are both regular torque converter autos from 6-7 years ago. And technology has since move onward & upward.

So maybe one day I'll grow up, too, 'cause I sure as hell don't know what I'm missing.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 310 Likes on 228 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
The MCT shifts much faster, has an S+ mode that takes advantage of the faster shift capabilities, has a "race start" mode for controlled digs and gives better mileage.

It also has rev-matching downshifts, aka blips, which sound so cool that I purposely speed up before taking a long exit ramp just to listen to the downshifts as I brake hard. It never gets old. (You have to be in S+.)

The suspension changes not only improve the ride but they improve the handling. I think it's considerable. I encourage you to drive both and see for yourself.

The later COMAND not only has internet access (although it sucks), but streams music over Bluetooth from your phone, making the cable obsolete. But it does have more cable connections.

This thread is in the wrong forum.

Last edited by whoover; 07-21-2014 at 01:01 PM.