C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

OE Tune Review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 05:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
OE Tune Review

I'd first off like to say, that this is my own opinion and I wasn't paid to endorse or boast OE's name. I do not want to conduct a pissing match between members. So if you decide to shoot me down, please stop reading and go troll another thread.

So before I talk about the actual car. I'd first off like to say that Jeremy, is a class act and from the moment I spoke to him, he never "pushed" me to buy a tune from him. The decision was in my hands to pull the trigger. I looked at all tuners... Renntech, Weistec, AMS since, I'm in the Chicagoland area.

Now for the actual tune. **This is how the car should of been from
the factory!** When I first loaded the tune. I couldn't really tell if I was tuned or not. I felt the throttle a little bit more in tune with input and the start up from the car was slightly louder (nothing crazy). As, I slowly started driving and gave more gradual throttle, it was apparent that it had more pull. About 20 miles into driving it, I put it in S+ and it was apparent that it was making every bit of claim that OE has told me. I nailed it on a on ramp at 25 mph and I was totally blown away! The tires just broke loose and they are brand new pilot sports! The pull from idle to redline was breathtaking! Three digit speeds come up very quickly now. Every little bit of aspect of the car was changed...Low-end, mid-range and top-end.... Doesn't matter where you are in the powerband... It just rips, throws you back in your seat, while you cling on for dear life. I opted for the 7300 rpm redline and the pull up top is just awesome, in fact that is an understatement... And, the gear changes are BANG, BANG, BANG! No hesitation! The car has fully adjusted to the new tune now and the car now seems faster than first loaded. Which is expected. I am eager to see how the race file is... 😈
I couldn't be more pleased 👍

Furthermore, I have driven a c63 with a Eurocharged tune. And, like it or not, the OE tune, IMHO is better. Not saying that eurocharged is bad and no need for it's fanboys to run to it's defense. I thought it was very good! I just feel OE suits the type of driver, I am and what end result, I'm looking for from this car. If I didn't like OE I would of happily bought another tune from someone else. Hopefully, this thread can help some guys out with their decision on who to go with.

Again, I am extremely happy with the OE file and Jeremy's A+ service!

Have a good rest of the day guys!

~Peter
The following users liked this post:
G_Money (05-04-2020)
Old 07-17-2014, 05:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 370 Likes on 212 Posts
c63
good job man
Old 07-17-2014, 05:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 AMG
Cool!

I have the OE tune as well. Jeremy was a class act.

I did a before and after dyno pulls just to see and was shocked to see that I gained 69rwhp (from 371 to 440) rwhp with the 93oct tune.

I haven't dyno with the MS109 race gas tune, but on the streets, I can tell the MS109 tune feels much juicier vs. the 93oct tune.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 846 Likes on 594 Posts
E63S | X5
Originally Posted by HardC63
Cool!

I did a before and after dyno pulls just to see and was shocked to see that I gained 69rwhp (from 371 to 440) rwhp with the 93oct tune.

I haven't dyno with the MS109 race gas tune, but on the streets, I can tell the MS109 tune feels much juicier vs. the 93oct tune.
69whp on tune alone? No other mods like intake or whatever?
Old 07-17-2014, 06:05 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 AMG E63s
yup, thanks for the review. I just wish we had actual #s and tune-to-tune comparisons beyond personal experience. Not saying your take isn't 100% accurate, just being a scientist I always want some actual data to compare against. But other than dyno or track data, I guess since what is contained within most tunes is proprietary, and we never find out exactly what is tweaked with Renntech vs. Eurocharged, etc., then we'll never know. But I'm also all for the experiential take, and having said that, I love my tune too (even though it may be inferior in some respects, or in some folks' opinions). Thanks again for the review.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c63
Originally Posted by HardC63
Cool!

what does juicier mean
Old 07-17-2014, 06:58 PM

C63
Originally Posted by jcfay
yup, thanks for the review. I just wish we had actual #s and tune-to-tune comparisons beyond personal experience. Not saying your take isn't 100% accurate, just being a scientist I always want some actual data to compare against. But other than dyno or track data, I guess since what is contained within most tunes is proprietary, and we never find out exactly what is tweaked with Renntech vs. Eurocharged, etc., then we'll never know. But I'm also all for the experiential take, and having said that, I love my tune too (even though it may be inferior in some respects, or in some folks' opinions). Thanks again for the review.
Not a problem. And, I fully agree on having dyno's to prove the numbers. But, in my opinion I think they are all within the same margin of each other. From my driving experience OE is aggressive but driveable. When I drove the eurocharged car which at the time was V4, it was very nice and smooth. But, from my opinion on driving both cars. The OE file, from the seat of my pants, pulls so much harder throughout the power band. Renntech is delusional from a price stand point. I couldn't justify 2200+ dollars when your only a few hundred away from longtubes... In my personal opinion both eurocharged and OE are great. I just like OE better. Kinda, like some who prefers a mercedes over a bmw. At the end, of the day they are both great. It's the customers ultimate decision.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:01 PM

C63
Originally Posted by mr747
what does juicier mean
Jeremy told me his race gas file with ms109 is good for another 25-30 rwhp.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c63
Originally Posted by Petakii63
Jeremy told me his race gas file with ms109 is good for another 25-30 rwhp.
thats good cause im loading that tune in shortly
Old 07-17-2014, 07:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 Coupe
Not a problem. And, I fully agree on having dyno's to prove the numbers. But, in my opinion I think they are all within the same margin of each other. From my driving experience OE is aggressive but driveable. When I drove the eurocharged car which at the time was V4, it was very nice and smooth. But, from my opinion on driving both cars. The OE file, from the seat of my pants, pulls so much harder throughout the power band. Renntech is delusional from a price stand point. I couldn't justify 2200+ dollars when your only a few hundred away from longtubes... In my personal opinion both eurocharged and OE are great. I just like OE better. Kinda, like some who prefers a mercedes over a bmw. At the end, of the day they are both great. It's the customers ultimate decision.
Talk to Renntech and they will explain to you that using a handheld vs programming the ecu on a bench is completely different. Not justifying there price, just stating that they are different animals.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
A V8
i actually just message renntech the other day about tune pricing, they are expensive....

thor, can you elaborate a little more on handheld vs programming?
Old 07-17-2014, 07:28 PM

C63 Coupe
Originally Posted by solekeeper
i actually just message renntech the other day about tune pricing, they are expensive....

thor, can you elaborate a little more on handheld vs programming?
They went into a 30 minute explanation that made my head melt, but the gist of it was that there are something like 15 parameters that aren't able to be programmed with the handhelds that need to be adjusted to safely (probably bad choice of word) and effectively program the ECU. The other reason they charge so much is that they are in cahoots with Mercedes. If your dealer happens to also be a Renntech dealer, which many are, the odds of having issues when push comes to shove is much less if your dealer sold it to you.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 AMG
Great write up Pete! If I were to switch up one day I may head this way. I was actually considering a race g's tune from EC as well, wonder if the gain would be similar... 20 some hp?
Old 07-17-2014, 07:46 PM

C63
Originally Posted by Thor2j
Talk to Renntech and they will explain to you that using a handheld vs programming the ecu on a bench is completely different. Not justifying there price, just stating that they are different animals.
There's no difference between bench and handheld tuning. Most, likely if you give your ecu to renntech you will get the same off the shelf tune they give everyone else. Unless you get dyno tuned, then they do not do anything different from anyone else... I mean how could they? They have no data logs of your car. How could custom tailor it? If we want to be more fair... Weistec vs renntech would be a better match since they both bench flash. What makes renntech a 1k premium to weistec? I'll tell you why, they are most likely buying the tune from someone else. Other people need to get paid and renntech needs to make money... Go look at the ngk spark plugs that they used to sell for the M157. They wanted 350 when guys were finding them for half the price. Funny, they don't carry it anymore. Another thing that made me laugh was their 2400 dollar resonator delete pipe... What do they do so different from mbh, burn stainless, kooks? People need to put their ears to ground a little bit and not believe everything you hear.

Last edited by Petakii63; 07-17-2014 at 07:57 PM.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:50 PM

C63
They went into a 30 minute explanation that made my head melt, but the gist of it was that there are something like 15 parameters that aren't able to be programmed with the handhelds that need to be adjusted to safely (probably bad choice of word) and effectively program the ECU. The other reason they charge so much is that they are in cahoots with Mercedes. If your dealer happens to also be a Renntech dealer, which many are, the odds of having issues when push comes to shove is much less if your dealer sold it to you.
Dealer won't honor anything if the tune caused your piston to crack. I'm cool with my service advisor. He basically told me that they make deals with renntech to make profit from the tunes they sell. That's a no brainer since renntech told me in an email, I have which I could show you guys that says don't say anything about a discount to the dealer. Most guys seem to forgot that these guys are in the business for making money. And, sadly they pray on people who aren't knowledgeable.

Last edited by Petakii63; 07-17-2014 at 07:53 PM.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:55 PM

C63
Originally Posted by Autosport7
Great write up Pete! If I were to switch up one day I may head this way. I was actually considering a race g's tune from EC as well, wonder if the gain would be similar... 20 some hp?
I'm sure EC can do something
Old 07-17-2014, 08:02 PM

C63 Coupe
Dealer won't honor anything if the tune caused your piston to crack. I'm cool with my service advisor. He basically told me that they make deals with renntech to make profit from the tunes they sell. That's a no brainer since renntech told me in an email, I have which I could show you guys that says don't say anything about a discount to the dealer. Most guys seem to forgot that these guys are in the business for making money. And, sadly they pray on people who aren't knowledgeable.
Correct, but Renntech will
Old 07-17-2014, 08:04 PM

C63 Coupe
There's no difference between bench and handheld tuning. Most, likely if you give your ecu to renntech you will get the same off the shelf tune they give everyone else. Unless you get dyno tuned, then they do not do anything different from anyone else... I mean how could they? They have no data logs of your car. How could custom tailor it? If we want to be more fair... Weistec vs renntech would be a better match since they both bench flash. What makes renntech a 1k premium to weistec? I'll tell you why, they are most likely buying the tune from someone else. Other people need to get paid and renntech needs to make money... Go look at the ngk spark plugs that they used to sell for the M157. They wanted 350 when guys were finding them for half the price. Funny, they don't carry it anymore. Another thing that made me laugh was their 2400 dollar resonator delete pipe... What do they do so different from mbh, burn stainless, kooks? People need to put their ears to ground a little bit and not believe everything you hear.
Didn't say anything about car specific. Said there are parameters which they can adjust doing it via the bench that can't be done via the handheld. You should call them and have a talk with one of their engineers if u are so sure. I believe they will convince you differently.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:31 PM

C63
Didn't say anything about car specific. Said there are parameters which they can adjust doing it via the bench that can't be done via the handheld. You should call them and have a talk with one of their engineers if u are so sure. I believe they will convince you differently.
OBD-II and bench flashing are the same thing. If companies like EC or OE or why stop there even COBB, think it wasn't, then the answer is obvious. At a point renntech was also offering their own tuning module which was called RAT. So it's funny how they must of thought it worked back then.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:34 PM

C63 Coupe
OBD-II and bench flashing are the same thing. If companies like EC or OE or why stop there even COBB, think it wasn't, then the answer is obvious. At a point renntech was also offering their own tuning module which was called RAT. So it's funny how they must of thought it worked back then.
Once again, talk to them, they're very friendly before u think u know everything.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 AMG
When you talk to a bench tuner they say they can adjust more parameters, talk to a OBDII tuner they say same exact tuning. Wish I knew the truth.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:51 PM

C63 ///AMG P30
I'm very happy with my OE Tune as well. Pulls hard after 5k rpms. All my questions were answered within 6 hours. I still need to take it to a dyno to obtain numbers.

Last edited by estrellajon; 07-17-2014 at 10:50 PM.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:59 PM

C63
Once again, talk to them, they're very friendly before u think u know everything.
I've already talked to Mike and Russ. Nice guys. At the end, of the day there's no difference. Everyone is friendly when they are trying to make a sale. I don't know everything but I have already researched and asked. Either way, handheld or bench-flashed what does it matter it's still not a custom dyno tune. This thread wasn't meant to start war. Simple, opinion. Sadly, this is why boards on mbworld go to **** cause people turn them into something it doesn't have to be.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:41 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
C63 Coupe
You do realize oe and eurocharge used to bench flash these cars before OBDII tuning was unlocked? Why would they down grade when they have the capability. I mean oe and EC both still bench flash for the m157 since OBDII hasn't been unlocked for them yet. Don't believe everything you hear
Old 07-17-2014, 10:44 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
C63 Coupe
I'd first off like to say, that this is my own opinion and I wasn't paid to endorse or boast OE's name. I do not want to conduct a pissing match between members. So if you decide to shoot me down, please stop reading and go troll another thread.

So before I talk about the actual car. I'd first off like to say that Jeremy, is a class act and from the moment I spoke to him, he never "pushed" me to buy a tune from him. The decision was in my hands to pull the trigger. I looked at all tuners... Renntech, Weistec, AMS since, I'm in the Chicagoland area.

Now for the actual tune. **This is how the car should of been from
the factory!** When I first loaded the tune. I couldn't really tell if I was tuned or not. I felt the throttle a little bit more in tune with input and the start up from the car was slightly louder (nothing crazy). As, I slowly started driving and gave more gradual throttle, it was apparent that it had more pull. About 20 miles into driving it, I put it in S+ and it was apparent that it was making every bit of claim that OE has told me. I nailed it on a on ramp at 25 mph and I was totally blown away! The tires just broke loose and they are brand new pilot sports! The pull from idle to redline was breathtaking! Three digit speeds come up very quickly now. Every little bit of aspect of the car was changed...Low-end, mid-range and top-end.... Doesn't matter where you are in the powerband... It just rips, throws you back in your seat, while you cling on for dear life. I opted for the 7300 rpm redline and the pull up top is just awesome, in fact that is an understatement... And, the gear changes are BANG, BANG, BANG! No hesitation! The car has fully adjusted to the new tune now and the car now seems faster than first loaded. Which is expected. I am eager to see how the race file is... 😈
I couldn't be more pleased 👍

Furthermore, I have driven a c63 with a Eurocharged tune. And, like it or not, the OE tune, IMHO is better. Not saying that eurocharged is bad and no need for it's fanboys to run to it's defense. I thought it was very good! I just feel OE suits the type of driver, I am and what end result, I'm looking for from this car. If I didn't like OE I would of happily bought another tune from someone else. Hopefully, this thread can help some guys out with their decision on who to go with.

Again, I am extremely happy with the OE file and Jeremy's A+ service!

Have a good rest of the day guys!

~Peter
Great review ! I was running Eurocharged v4 for almost 2 years and most recently v5. It's a great tune that's very drive able and the down shift blips are glorious in v5. I just switched over to OE a couple weeks ago and I agree 100% with your assessment it's more aggressive especially on the top end with the higher limiter. Depends what your looking for both are great tunes and Jerry & Jeremy are great guys to deal with

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: OE Tune Review