Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Potential Engine Problem Already?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 12:37 PM

Received 67 Likes on 42 Posts
2022 4 Runner Pro, supercharged and lifted Lime Rush, 2018 E63s wagon Edition 1
Thanks everyone for your input! A very informative "conversation." So, Injenieur answered my question as to whether the lifters are solid or hydraulic. Since they are the latter it would make sense that the oil would drain from sitting too long and this noise is actually a bit too much clearance due to a lifter not fully pumped up. The oil consumption hasn't been that much as when I purchased the car with 68 miles (I put about 25 on it during the test drive) and checked the oil at home it was about an eighth of an inch above the middle plastic indicator on the dip stick. Maybe not filled completely before delivery? Anyway, drove it yesterday and no noise at first startup or in the evening after sitting for about 9 hours at work. Guess I'll just have to drive it more often. Dang!
Old 07-23-2014, 02:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
This and that.
It sounds like when I start up my car this weekend after 3 weeks, I should expect all sorts of weird noises coming from it?
Old 07-23-2014, 02:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 AMG
My car rarely gets to see the streets during the week. When the weekend rolls around, I drive it to run errands and such. Never hear any noises, or ticking. Knock on wood.