C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Stay with MHP tune or re-tune?

Old 07-24-2014, 04:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
C63
Stay with MHP tune or re-tune?

I bought my C63 a few months ago. It had work done by MHP a few years ago. It has the MHP stage 2 package. According to their website, that is long-tube headers, x-pipe, and tune. They say that gets the car to 590hp. The car also has a Quaife LSD.

I know it has headers and a tune. I haven't checked yet to see it has the x-pipe. Anyway, I'm not 100% satisfied with the tune. I especially don't like the shifting - it upshifts so often, I think it's typically into 5th gear by the time I reach 25mph. The downshifting has a significant delay unless I do it manually. And overall, honestly, it does not feel like it has 590hp.

I know MHP is much maligned on these forums. I think they're out of business now, or their tunes are now Weistec tunes, or something like that. Anyway, is the MHP tune known to have issues and not be the best tune? Would it be worth my money to pay another company for a re-tune? Would a re-tune still have the same issues that I currently have? I'd like the car to be more aggressive. It feels like I'm always, always in the wrong gear for whatever situation I'm in.
Old 07-24-2014, 05:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
'12 C63 Black Series, '12 ML350 BlueTech
Not having customer service on a product you bought used is not convenient.
I would re-tune particularly if you are not happy with what you have now.
Old 07-24-2014, 05:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
2012 C63 AMG Sedan
I can't comment on the tunes (other than the fact that I have EuroCharged and I love it!!!) but shifting into 5th gear by the time you reach 25mph sounds like you are in C mode, which if I am not mistaken, is not affected by the tunes. You need to put it in S, S+ or M mode to "activate" the tune per say.
Old 07-24-2014, 05:07 PM

C63
Originally Posted by SaphGreyC63
I can't comment on the tunes (other than the fact that I have EuroCharged and I love it!!!) but shifting into 5th gear by the time you reach 25mph sounds like you are in C mode, which if I am not mistaken, is not affected by the tunes. You need to put it in S, S+ or M mode to "activate" the tune per say.
You're correct, I'm talking about C mode. S mode changes it slightly but is not a huge difference. I was unaware that the tune does not "activate" until you put it in S mode - is that a definite truth? I'd like the tune to also apply in C mode.
Old 07-24-2014, 05:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

And yeah 5th gear at 25 mph is basically C mode. Lol!

edit: C mode is comfort mode so why do you want to be aggressive where this mode is dedicated to a soft driving. Put your car in S and play with it. If you really don't like it tune it from scratch.

Last edited by abcut973; 07-24-2014 at 05:13 PM.
Old 07-24-2014, 05:18 PM

C63
Originally Posted by abcut973
And yeah 5th gear at 25 mph is basically C mode. Lol!

edit: C mode is comfort mode so why do you want to be aggressive where this mode is dedicated to a soft driving. Put your car in S and play with it. If you really don't like it tune it from scratch.
I understand the differences in the modes. I guess I'm wishing there was a less drastic difference between them. C mode is just a complete pushover - the car makes no noise, it shifts at 1500rpm, it shifts so often that driving in traffic is clunky. S mode is much better, and I guess I'll just start switching to that every time I drive.

To the bigger issue, are there problems with an MHP tune and would it typically be worth my money for a tune from a more reputable company?
Old 07-24-2014, 05:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C mode is C mode there is nothing you could change about that. MB invented this mode for normal driving hence smooth shifting etc... and a better fuel economy too.
My only concern in your case would be customer service. What if ....? Who will you go to? You don't like the way it shifts... who will you complain to to address your issue?
I bought my car used with REnntech already installed. Knowing that the tuner is still around was a piece of mind particularly when I called them and they were able to see what they did to the car based on the VIN number. I know that if I need help I can count on them.

Last edited by abcut973; 07-24-2014 at 05:29 PM.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Steel Grey Metallic C63!!
Originally Posted by jaspirr
I understand the differences in the modes. I guess I'm wishing there was a less drastic difference between them. C mode is just a complete pushover - the car makes no noise, it shifts at 1500rpm, it shifts so often that driving in traffic is clunky. S mode is much better, and I guess I'll just start switching to that every time I drive.

To the bigger issue, are there problems with an MHP tune and would it typically be worth my money for a tune from a more reputable company?
If your car is shifting at 1500 rpm, you're driving it like a grandma. Whether or not it has a tune, the transmission will adapt to your driving patterns. If you drive it like a old lady, it will shift like an old lady in C mode. Reset the transmission memory and drive it hard. It will shift at a higher shift point.

Like a few other members have stated, switch it in S or M mode if you have issues with the shift points.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by I am Jeff
If your car is shifting at 1500 rpm, you're driving it like a grandma. Whether or not it has a tune, the transmission will adapt to your driving patterns. If you drive it like a old lady, it will shift like an old lady in C mode. Reset the transmission memory and drive it hard. It will shift at a higher shift point.

Like a few other members have stated, switch it in S or M mode if you have issues with the shift points.
This 100%
Old 07-25-2014, 10:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
This is the tranny adapting to your driving style like others have said and has absolutely nothing to do with the tune.

The tcu controls shift points and it's located in the tranny.

Drive in manual if you don't like the shifting or reset the adaptation and drive S mode.

MHP though not really around as much as it was, had the fastest (re: dragtimes) and still does NA c63s. They out sourced their tunes, so most likely you have a techtec or weistec tune...