C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Anyone own a Jeep SRT8?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 AMG
Thanks for the well thought out comments everyone, I really do appreciate the feedback. From an aestics stand point I do like the wk2 over the wk1 but some very valid points have been made against that. I will try and do the 14 in the end but will probably be patient about the best deal. As a side note have received good feedback about the c63 and may have it unloaded, good and bad I guess
Old 08-04-2014, 01:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Bardman
Stock to stock the ml63 is much quicker though.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=2By8uoYMjNY
Man that was an *** whooping!
Old 08-04-2014, 02:01 PM

2014 C63 AMG 507
Originally Posted by jptaylor
I just lost my WK1 Jeep SRT8 to a fire and would have kept it FOREVER....426 with Paramount Trans, it was a beast...being as i have just made the switch over i will tell you that my jeep was quicker, but the c63 is MUCH faster...awd and 275/315 tires mean that you leave the hole in a HURRY!!!! Stock the WK1 (2006-2010, no 2005) was about 4.4-5.0 0-60 mostly depending on location and DA with 1/4mi times averaging prolly 12.9...the WK2(2012-2014, no 2011) was a complete redesign and yes there were multiple issues with the '12 model year vehicles. the WK2 model has better fit and finish but the WK1 was much more raw and in your face...mpg is also an issue with them as they are large displacement, high hp, HEAVY bricks...my WK1 averaged around 10.5mpg while the WK2 guys seemed to fair better at around 14-15mpg.

If it were me i would agree as stated above that if you can afford the '14 go that route, if not then drop back down to an '08-10. There was a refresh for the '08my which changed the dash, front fascia and most importantly the interior changed from light grey to black.

if you want some real world feedback check out this site www.cherokeesrt8.com ...this is a REALLY good forum and they are all good guys by and large. also if you just want some detailed tech/model year info then check out http://www.wkjeeps.com/wk_srt8.htm

there are several names i recognize on here already (grip grip) and i wish they would chime in as well....other than the mpg you really cannot go wrong with one

I saw the pics of your loss man. That made me sick. I'm WESLEY KAY on the red site as well. I didn't know you went AMG after though. Awesome! Another fine specimen of a vehicle.
Old 08-04-2014, 02:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 Mercedes C63
I have a 2012 Jeep SRT8 that I purchased new 2 1/2 years ago. I just turned 51,000 miles on it and I couldn't be happier with it. It is bone stock performance wise. The only mods are I added a JL amp, JL stealthbox, MYGIG Lockpick, additional headrest rear seat entertainment system, and 1 front and 2 side cameras that integrate into the lockpick system.

While I don't abuse it when I drive it, I do drive it hard. Even with that, I have had very very few problems at all but here are the ones I have had. Although mine has the towing package, it isn't suited very well for towing. I rented a small (8' X5') enclosed trailer to haul a couch and love seat a couple hundred miles and found that trying to go anything more than about 65 mph caused the transmission to overheat. The only other problem is that it has recently developed a problem where it occasionally doesn't respond to increased throttle input changes...it has only happened on a handful of occasions and isn't really that bad...if I let off the throttle for about 1/2 second then reapply the throttle it seems to fix itself. I assume it is the TPS sensor but don't know yet for sure.

Performance wise, it is very sensitive to temperature changes. I live in Dallas so it gets quite hot here in the summers. Using the built in performance monitor for 0-60 times, in cool weather (say 50-60 degrees), I have been able to consistently achieve 4.4 seconds, whereas, in hot temperatures (say 100 degrees), the best I can get is 5.2 seconds. I seldom have enough open road in Dallas to utilize the built in 1/4 mile timer so I don't have any good real world data on that.

As far as amenities it has all the ones that the C63 has plus a few more (i.e.- vented seats, remote start, etc.). It sounds great stock (not as good as the C63 in my opinion but still great). Maintenance costs have been minimal. Gas mileage sucks @ about 12.5 mpg in town and 16 mpg on the road.

I did test drive a 2014 SRT and they are a bit more refined with the way they redid the interior and from the seat of the pants it felt a bit quicker than mine although I don't know for sure.

I also recently bought a 2014 C63 coupe for my girlfriend. Before we did any mods to the C63, surprisingly the Jeep would actually initially pull the C63 off the line but as the speeds increase, the C63 will catch it and pull on it pretty hard at anything over about 80mph.

I love both cars....you can't go wrong with either. Hope this helps.
Old 08-04-2014, 02:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by tomc517
I have a 2012 Jeep SRT8 that I purchased new 2 1/2 years ago. I just turned 51,000 miles on it and I couldn't be happier with it. It is bone stock performance wise. The only mods are I added a JL amp, JL stealthbox, MYGIG Lockpick, additional headrest rear seat entertainment system, and 1 front and 2 side cameras that integrate into the lockpick system.

While I don't abuse it when I drive it, I do drive it hard. Even with that, I have had very very few problems at all but here are the ones I have had. Although mine has the towing package, it isn't suited very well for towing. I rented a small (8' X5') enclosed trailer to haul a couch and love seat a couple hundred miles and found that trying to go anything more than about 65 mph caused the transmission to overheat. The only other problem is that it has recently developed a problem where it occasionally doesn't respond to increased throttle input changes...it has only happened on a handful of occasions and isn't really that bad...if I let off the throttle for about 1/2 second then reapply the throttle it seems to fix itself. I assume it is the TPS sensor but don't know yet for sure.

Performance wise, it is very sensitive to temperature changes. I live in Dallas so it gets quite hot here in the summers. Using the built in performance monitor for 0-60 times, in cool weather (say 50-60 degrees), I have been able to consistently achieve 4.4 seconds, whereas, in hot temperatures (say 100 degrees), the best I can get is 5.2 seconds. I seldom have enough open road in Dallas to utilize the built in 1/4 mile timer so I don't have any good real world data on that.

As far as amenities it has all the ones that the C63 has plus a few more (i.e.- vented seats, remote start, etc.). It sounds great stock (not as good as the C63 in my opinion but still great). Maintenance costs have been minimal. Gas mileage sucks @ about 12.5 mpg in town and 16 mpg on the road.

I did test drive a 2014 SRT and they are a bit more refined with the way they redid the interior and from the seat of the pants it felt a bit quicker than mine although I don't know for sure.

I also recently bought a 2014 C63 coupe for my girlfriend. Before we did any mods to the C63, surprisingly the Jeep would actually initially pull the C63 off the line but as the speeds increase, the C63 will catch it and pull on it pretty hard at anything over about 80mph.

I love both cars....you can't go wrong with either. Hope this helps.
Great write up! My only question...
How in the hell do you put up with your gf's car beating yours? I wouldn't like that too much! Lol
Old 08-13-2014, 10:54 AM

C63
I recently traded in my 2010 C63 for a 2014 Jeep SRT. Although the raw power is not what I am used to, I am really enjoying the SRT.

My C63 had EC Tune, MBH headers, mids, and x-pipe and was running sub 12's in the 1/4. I took the stock SRT to the track and couldn't break into the 12's. It was a hot day so that had something to do with it, but that's really the only thing I don't like about it.

The interior is much more refined and, dare I say elegant, than the Mercedes and my BMW friends agreed it was better than theirs. The exterior has some beautiful curves in just the right places and people stare wherever I go. I used to only get that because of the sound of my exhaust.

The transmission is eerily smooth and it's almost pointless to use the paddle shifters because the shifts are so short with 9 gears.

I average 3-4 mpg better than my C63 so that's definitely a win in my book.

There is obviously a ton more room than the C63 and I have the tow package which is rated up to 7,000 lbs.

The upgraded HK stereo system is amazing and has 19 speakers, I believe, including a 10 in sub in the back. Couple that with the 8.4 in touch screen and apps I am loving it more than I could with my 2010MY. It's nice to have bluetooth audio streaming now, but you can get that in the later model C63's too.

I feel that I will most appreciate the Jeep in the winter when there is a lot of snow on the ground. Last year was so bad here in the Chicago area that I was getting stuck a lot spinning tires. In the city it wasn't a problem, but in the burbs I would get stuck on streets where they didn't plow so well.

I loved my C63, but I am extremely pleased with my Jeep SRT.

I've been holding on to my aftermarket parts thinking I might get a 507 Edition some day, but as time goes on, the C63 continues to fade to the back of my mind. If the Jeep SRT does adopt the Hellcat engine I might never go back to the C63 again.

The mod bug started the day after I picked it up. Windows tinted, debadged hood and side and added a nice little 6.4L Hemi badge. Also began dressing up the engine. I've got an oil catch can (same red) sitting on my table to be installed next.

Picking it up at the dealership

Debadged

Front debadged

Added 6.4L Hemi badge

Billet Technology Engine Kit
Old 08-13-2014, 11:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
'12 C63 Black Series, '12 ML350 BlueTech
Nice man
I am in the situation of changing car but still trying to decide which one I'll go for. The Jeep SRT is on my list.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:24 AM

C63
One thing i forgot to mention is that the rev-matching on the Jeep SRT is nothing like on the AMG. I cringe every time I try it thinking I am going to blow my tranny.

There is nothing like the AMG when it comes to rev-matching. It's the most beautiful sound there is on the road. I miss it dearly.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
C63 AMG P30 *EuroCharged*| Porsche Cayenne | Buell XB9SX
Originally Posted by HoozyerdaddyC63
One thing i forgot to mention is that the rev-matching on the Jeep SRT is nothing like on the AMG. I cringe every time I try it thinking I am going to blow my tranny. There is nothing like the AMG when it comes to rev-matching. It's the most beautiful sound there is on the road. I miss it dearly.
I'm sure there are some tuners out there for the SRT? also, do you have any interior pics?
Old 08-15-2014, 07:48 PM

C63
Originally Posted by m a x i m u s
I'm sure there are some tuners out there for the SRT? also, do you have any interior pics?
I haven't found any tuners that can open up the 2014 SRT yet. I guess there are still issues and the tuners out there are still limited to what they can do. I won't tune until I know for sure it's safe. By that time I should have some extra cash to get a supercharger for 500+ awhp.

As far as the interior, I haven't taken any pics, but here are some from elsewhere online.

Old 08-15-2014, 09:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 696 Likes on 530 Posts
R Nine T
It's come along way baby I just don't know if I'd be feeling it after 6 months.....
Old 08-15-2014, 09:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
SLK55 AMG - Renntech Supercharged
No experience with the newer SRT8 Jeeps, but my '06 was rock solid in the reliability department. After over 100K miles with lots of abuse, the only issue I ever had was with the shifter. Nicely modded mine was very fun at the track as well.

Last edited by Grip Grip; 08-15-2014 at 09:56 PM.
Old 03-16-2015, 02:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
This and that.
I am going through the same predicament at the moment. Thinking if I should switch my C63 for SRT8 for better practicality and yet still fun at the same time.
Old 03-16-2015, 02:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This and that.
Maybe the guys who made the switch can provide some input about what they feel about the switch several months/year down the line now? I am looking at a 2014 in particular.
Old 03-16-2015, 04:01 PM

2014 C63 AMG 507
I came from the Jeep SRT platform. 2009 to be exact. I like the 507 coupe better honestly, but the jeep was fun. It's a completely different animal. If I picked up another SRT, it would be the jeep or Charger Hellcat. You don't get the luxury as with a Benz though. But still fun. It all depends what you want man. I have noticed the class tier is waaaay different. People see a Benz and think snob until you prove them different. I didn't get that with the SRT. The SRT seemed more like the "working man's" car if that makes sense.

After the 507, I could see myself in a Jeep Hellcat if they make one. The 507 is something special though.
Old 03-16-2015, 04:13 PM

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
2015 gl450
2014 Jeeps are a big upgrade interior wise vs the earlier models.

And as a mod'd srt8 owner myself (670whp magnum), I'll echo the sentiments above, it's a totally different experience driving an srt8 vs a Benz. That said, if it had a 3rd row, I'd be driving the Jeep instead of the GL.
Old 03-16-2015, 07:14 PM

C63 AMG
I will post a review later tonight with a recent pic of my SRT, just need to sit at a computer. Some regrets and at the same time no regrets... Went from an 09 C63 to a 14 jeep.
Old 03-16-2015, 08:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This and that.
As of right now I am laying off the SRT the deal didn't make sense but others will come along but all of it doesn't matter since I am not even 100% sure about it. Appreciate you taking the time for review.
Old 03-16-2015, 08:32 PM

C63 AMG
So I went from an 09 C63 with really only new air filters, Velos tune and a couple interior and exterior modifications, nothing over the top.

Things I miss about the C63: the feeling of a car, the feel of real leather, cold starts, the raw power that requires some skill, the color of the C63 (steal grey).

Things I dislike about the C63: no MB dealer near me for service, more expensive to maintain and warranty, fear of the dreaded headbolt (as unlikely as it may be).

Things I like about the Jeep: way more technology in the nav/info center/HUD, etc, heated/cooled seats, ambient lighting, off the line no skill required power, tires last much longer, more room which allows for a car seat and passenger, storage in general, pano roof, safety and security during the winter, got a 7 year 100k warranty being a CPO for 1600

Things I dislike about the Jeep: a new recall every couple months, gas mileage (avg is about 16, C63 was around 19, 15 miles per day), lack of an enthusiast sound both at start up and with driving, stock run flats are horrible.

Overall, I really like my Jeep and while there are some big things I miss about the C63, they are more from an enthusiast stand point while the Jeep likes are more from a combo of being able to daily drive in any weather and use it on longer trips. I enjoy that longer trip personally than if we took my wife's Pathfinder, which is really quite cool in it's own right. I joke that I miss my C63 about 2/3 of the time but that 1/3 requires a bigger vehicle that can do any weather or hold as much stuff as I need. Would I get something else, hell yea, an ML63 but that is way out of my range. I would have even considered an S6 but also slightly out of the range and cost to own, other than gas, is also higher.

I have done an Injen intake which has helped with sound and feel, plus visually looks stock as I took the logo off it and is straight black. Probably will do some type of exhaust in the future but we'll see.

As a side note; I really wanted that grey color above but when I was purchasing, the only grey one was about 4k overpriced and was not a CPO. What I paid for mine as CPO (back at the end of last summer) with the warranty is still less then prices I am seeing around.

Hope that helps somewhat!

EDIT: Also, I am now about 8 months in with about 7k miles on the clock. I forgot to add that Jeep did send me a gift certificate for a free oil change and $150 of free stuff for the recalls.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone own a Jeep SRT8?-jeep.jpg  

Last edited by Sanders27; 03-16-2015 at 08:37 PM.
Old 03-17-2015, 01:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This and that.
Thanks for sharing your input! Much appreciated. I feel as if I wouldn't be able to shake the car vs SUV feeling and that is what's mostly holding me back.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
C63
Originally Posted by papashango
Thanks for sharing your input! Much appreciated. I feel as if I wouldn't be able to shake the car vs SUV feeling and that is what's mostly holding me back.
this was a problem for me. the seating position is pure SUV you sit high with you legs down below you. it just doesn't feel right when you are looking to burn some turns. I even lowered mine and put 305s all around thinking this would all help return me to a "sporty car" feel. it never did.

pic of my 2013 and yes mine had the what everyone would say was the crappy 5-speed trans but that actually never bothered me.

Anyone own a Jeep SRT8?-bd29cc2a-9e3c-4fb9-a398-0e0b8b17b1c5_zpssovg4oi0.jpg
Old 03-17-2015, 10:18 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E55 AMG | Buell Lightning XB12
Originally Posted by JeffDL
this was a problem for me. the seating position is pure SUV you sit high with you legs down below you. it just doesn't feel right when you are looking to burn some turns. I even lowered mine and put 305s all around thinking this would all help return me to a "sporty car" feel. it never did.

pic of my 2013 and yes mine had the what everyone would say was the crappy 5-speed trans but that actually never bothered me.
Nice Jeep! Is the splitter aftermarket, MOPAR?

I wouldn't go so far as to say it's a "crappy" transmission, at least not where durability is concerned. It's a bit slow on the shifts, but comparatively, the upgraded trans doesn't do a whole lot to make the WK2 a great deal faster anyhow.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
the splitter was aftermarked. black ops motorworks no idea if he still makes them the market is pretty small for them.
Old 03-17-2015, 01:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
C63 AMG P30 *EuroCharged*| Porsche Cayenne | Buell XB9SX
Sanders: how did you get 19 mpg avg? I get 10!

Anyhow, great looking Jeeps, I really dig those SRT8's. I am also considering switching it up next time around, mostly bc (1) I cry every time I have to drive on a crappy road surface, which is 99% of the time, and (2) I rarely get to drive the car hard due to continuous traffic! I was eyeing cars such as the Porsche Macan and the ML63, or even an older G63/55/550.
Old 03-17-2015, 01:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
my jeep on factory suspension with factory 20" runfails road worse than my lowered c63. it's really a mess. I'd buy a CPO ML63 or X5M if i had to have an SUV. if AWD was all i was after it would be an RS5 no question.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anyone own a Jeep SRT8?