Sponsored by:

2015 M3 or C63 507 ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 02:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 412 Likes on 288 Posts
W463 G550 / C190 GTC //prev: W204 C63 507 / R170
Let's not go back and forth on this, as it's inconsequential.
If you read trusted sources, it's not a fake sound. It's the actual sound, played through the speakers.
If you call that "fake", you're entitled to your opinion; but in my view it's not fake, much like listening to a voice message from a friend is not their "fake" voice!
Old 11-05-2014, 02:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 251 Likes on 159 Posts
2023 EQS 580
Originally Posted by Surge
If you call that "fake", you're entitled to your opinion; but in my view it's not fake, much like listening to a voice message from a friend is not their "fake" voice!
The M division has turned into the Milli Vanilli of the automotive industry.
Old 11-07-2014, 02:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63 AMG 507 Edition
I don't understand why they build sports cars with such good sound insulation in the first place. I'd go for more overall noise and hearing the actual engine over anything coming through the speakers.
Old 11-07-2014, 07:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 EQS 580
Originally Posted by Bardman
I don't understand why they build sports cars with such good sound insulation in the first place. I'd go for more overall noise and hearing the actual engine over anything coming through the speakers.
Don't let the M division marketing fool you. BMWs sound insulation is nowhere near as good and MB... So why is it that they need sound augmentation and AMGs don't?!?

The truth is that their engineers chose to tune the speakers instead of tuning the exhaust note. It's a sad day when a turbo 2.0l 4 banger sounds better than a "performance" cars 6cyl.

The AMG division puts the time and effort into tuning all aspects of a performance car, as evident from what we can hear from the 2.0 and 4.0 engines.

However the sad truth is that with the downsizing of engines, I am pretty sure that AMG will have to jump on the fake exhaust note bandwagon sooner or later.
Old 11-10-2014, 09:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A250
AMG AMG AMG
Old 11-10-2014, 11:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Agreed.
I think the BMW sound augmentation is ridiculous. Especially in a high performance M car.
Old 11-11-2014, 01:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 coupe P31, '11 G37s, '12 RR Evoque Prestige '10 QX56
If you read trusted sources, it's not a fake sound. It's the actual sound, played through the speakers.
It is "fake", it isn't "your car's" exhaust/engine note. It is a recording made by BMW and played in every F10 M5. Your own quote states that it is an "exterior recording" and "... samples are based on engine load and RPM". Pre-recorded audio samples. Are we suggesting that BMW makes individual recordings of every F10 M5 coming out of the factory? Nope, that doesn't happen. Now, we have BMW "recording" an M5 to play through the speakers. Is it a "bare bones" recording, or did they "enhance" it some? Did they ever actually record an M5, or did they pull a sound clip from an auto commercial? (Who knows). If anything, I'm sure the M5 "recording" has received some fine tuning.

So, not fake, like recording yourself saying "mmmm, delicious dinner. Thanks dear" and playing after each home cooked meal. Not fake, like a woman recording sounds of excstacy to play while "entertaining" her man. Not fake, like someone playing "vroom vroom" through their car audio to make their friends think they're in an "M" car... oh wait.

Yeah, it's pretty fake.

Regarding M4 vs 507. That's a personal matter. You'll have to drive them to make that decision. Both great cars, but one will be better for you.
Old 11-11-2014, 08:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You lost me here:

Originally Posted by Vash
So, not fake, like recording yourself saying "mmmm, delicious dinner. Thanks dear" and playing after each home cooked meal. Not fake, like a woman recording sounds of excstacy to play while "entertaining" her man. Not fake, like someone playing "vroom vroom" through their car audio to make their friends think they're in an "M" car... oh wait.
It's actually exactly the same as your examples! If your wife's voice recorded and played back is not her fake voice,
then your car's engine recorded and played back is also not fake.

The engines will all sound the same, especially inside the engine bay. It's called modern mass production.

I still think what BMW does is lame. It's just not a "fake" sound! It's the real sound of your car's engine, played inside the cabin.
Dare I say it, but the 507 could use more of the exterior engine/exhaust noise coming inside the car!
Old 11-11-2014, 12:03 PM

C63 coupe P31, '11 G37s, '12 RR Evoque Prestige '10 QX56
You lost me here:

It's actually exactly the same as your examples! If your wife's voice recorded and played back is not her fake voice,
then your car's engine recorded and played back is also not fake.

The engines will all sound the same, especially inside the engine bay. It's called modern mass production.

I still think what BMW does is lame. It's just not a "fake" sound! It's the real sound of your car's engine, played inside the cabin.
Indeed, I did lose you there.

This was in response to your "friends voice mail" not being "fake". If you play a recording of yourself thanking your wife for dinner each night, it is fake gratitude. If your wife plays "sounds of ecstasy" during sex, it is a fake orgasm. If BMW pumps engine/exhaust sounds through the speakers based on load and RPM, it is a fake "symphony". It goes beyond the examples because it isn't even sounds from your car.

How embarrassed would a driver be if there was a "hiccup" in the system and engine/exhaust sounds weren't properly synced with load/RPM. The sounds coming through the speakers are hard exceleration, but you're parked waiting for the valet.

Sounds created/recorded by BMW, not your car, samples played through the speakers when BMW deems "appropriate"=fake.

Oh, the C&D article you quoted is titled "Faking-It".
Old 11-11-2014, 12:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Ok well I agree with you that it's uber-lame and not something I would buy.
I don't agree that it's fake… but no sense spending any more time on this.
Old 11-13-2014, 03:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 E350 bluetec and 2014 C63 AMG 507
Originally Posted by coladin
507 is a legend. Do it!
What he said!
Old 11-14-2014, 11:47 AM
g-f

996TT
What happens to the sound if you turn off the radio? Does the sound keep being pushed by the speakers inside the cabin.

My 0,02$, this is fake. They recorded a M5 engine and then they push that sound through the speaker based on load and rpm... Yeah that's fake. The only thing worst would be they would tune the recorded sound so it sounds "better". No one knows if that actually the case. The last level of lame would be if they would push the sound from a highly tune or different engine altogeter so it sounds even better.

Anyhow, the C63 is a very special car. The M4 is also a great car. I didn't drive the new model but you can't go wrong either way. But to me there was only one choice and it was the C63.
Old 11-14-2014, 09:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 EQS 580
Originally Posted by g-f
The only thing worst would be they would tune the recorded sound so it sounds "better". No one knows if that actually the case. The last level of lame would be if they would push the sound from a highly tune or different engine altogeter so it sounds even better.
Well the M division has hit the "last level of lame" that you mentioned.
They have admitted to adding artificial sound to the M3/4. I don't think they admitted to it with the M5 but I am pretty sure that laMe division made that lazy engineering decision with the M5 too.
Old 11-27-2014, 07:25 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Porsche 991 GT3, 2012 cls63 Kleemann K3
depends on what your main purpose is for the car. if its just to have a nice car that goes fast. then the m4/m3.

if you want a car that sounds great, the c63 has a way more special engine/sound.

i just bought a 991 gt3, and it has a nicer interior than both the m4 and the c63 507, but honestly 95% of the enjoyment comes from the savage sound of the engine at 9000 rpm.

a nice interior you can grow tired of. but you never tire of that n/a sound.

btw, with a simple tune the new m4 will destroy the c63. i hear they're getting almost 600 hp.
Old 11-27-2014, 07:37 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Porsche 991 GT3, 2012 cls63 Kleemann K3
i have to agree with him. its fake. it may be the sound of an actual m5. but its not YOUR m5. thats fake enough for me. and its sounds fake from inside too.