Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

W205 C63..........hmmmmm

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 E63S AMG & 2013 GLK350
I was hoping for a bit more in certain aspects so for me it's a bit of a let down, and makes me glad I ordered an E63S rather than wait for the C63 to be announced. My W204 will be missed

But I do think they got some things right, and if this years lightning lap tells us anything it should be faster on a racetrack too. Heck if the AWD E63S can edge out the nearly 900lbs lighter RWD M4 around VIR then I'd hope the C63S would do at least the same.
Old 09-26-2014, 12:14 PM

2011 E350
C63 S Edition 1 was announced as well... I love the diamond stitching in the seats

http://www.digitaltrends.com/photoga...ition-1-model/
Old 09-26-2014, 02:04 PM

2013 C63 AMG
That edition 1 interior is beautiful
Old 09-26-2014, 04:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 C63 AMG 507 Edition
Here's a vid of the interior....hope its not a repost!

Old 09-26-2014, 04:37 PM

997.2 GT3
I like the new C63. I'm very happy MB decided to equip all models with LSD. I'm also a fan of the interior styling.

This C63 is much more compelling to me than the new M3/M4. It will monster the BMW in acceleration while sounding pretty damn good. Although 0-100kph times are close, this mostly comes down to traction. I'd bet the C63 traps much higher at the quarter mile mark.

The C63 is not flawless, though. I'm disappointed it doesn't have a dual-clutch transmission. Dry sump from the AMG GT would have been nice.
Old 09-26-2014, 04:48 PM

C63 P31
Definatly a lot of biased views here. It sucks to drive an older generation car but lets be honest besides the slightly more feminine looks (which is very opinion based), quieter exhaust, and a loss of the lever, the car is a huge improvement over the w204.

Mercedes has been able to make a make a faster car with a much smaller engine, that gets 32mpg!! The interior looks great and the exterior is definatly growing on me. And ill hold my judgement on the sound until I see more close up videos. We have close to no information on how the car handles. Also at the end of the day despite being an amg, you're still buying a c-class, and from the complaints right now it seems like you guys were expecting 0-100 in mid 3 seconds. It's just unrealistic, and I'm very impressed with both mb and BMW for makin a faster better performing car that stays true to itself, even with all these environmental bull**** regulating them these days.
Old 09-26-2014, 08:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63 AMG 507 Edition
Originally Posted by CMC-63
Definatly a lot of biased views here. It sucks to drive an older generation car but lets be honest besides the slightly more feminine looks (which is very opinion based), quieter exhaust, and a loss of the lever, the car is a huge improvement over the w204.

Mercedes has been able to make a make a faster car with a much smaller engine, that gets 32mpg!! The interior looks great and the exterior is definatly growing on me. And ill hold my judgement on the sound until I see more close up videos. We have close to no information on how the car handles. Also at the end of the day despite being an amg, you're still buying a c-class, and from the complaints right now it seems like you guys were expecting 0-100 in mid 3 seconds. It's just unrealistic, and I'm very impressed with both mb and BMW for makin a faster better performing car that stays true to itself, even with all these environmental bull**** regulating them these days.

The W204 is a great car which had some common complaints:

• The MCT gearbox is not good enough
  • There is not enough traction in the skinny rear tyres
  • The rear fender flares are not aggressive enough (relates to second point)
  • It overheats on the track
  • Is a bit heavy
What is does really well is kill the competition in a straight line, and sound awesome.

The W205 has retained the MCT, which by some magic may be as good as a DCT but I doubt it, has not addressed rear tyre size materially, has not given it flared rear arches, and not materially improved weight. They do state they have fixed the cooling issue.

The W205 (going by quoted numbers) will no longer kill the competition in a straight line, and may sound a little less awesome.

You can see why a lot of people (who really wanted this car to be a knockout) would be somewhat disappointed.
Old 09-26-2014, 09:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 97 Likes on 82 Posts
'20 GLC300 SUV
Originally Posted by Bardman

• Is a bit heavy
What is does really well is kill the competition in a straight line, and sound awesome.

The W205 has retained the MCT, which by some magic may be as good as a DCT but I doubt it, has not addressed rear tyre size materially, has not given it flared rear arches, and not materially improved weight. They do state they have fixed the cooling issue.

The W205 (going by quoted numbers) will no longer kill the competition in a straight line, and may sound a little less awesome.

You can see why a lot of people (who really wanted this car to be a knockout) would be somewhat disappointed.
You're getting way too concerned with the "quoted numbers" man.

According to Mercedes, the W204 C63 was a 4.4/4.3-second 0-60 (mph) car. In reality, it was a 3.8/3.9-second 0-60 car.

Why does Benz/AMG err on the conservative side? If the car fails to match the quoted numbers in real world tests, it gets slammed in reviews.

If the car exceeds the quoted numbers, it merely means the car is better than advertised.
Old 09-26-2014, 10:02 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
C63 AMG

• Is a bit heavy

Actually the numbers indicate it will smack around the competition
Only 5% heavier
But...
Over 10% more power
Over 15% more torque
And that is the base model
The old c63 is as fast as the new M's
The e63 is faster around VIR than the M4
And the w205 will be faster than the e63
Hence the c63 will be faster than the M4
In a month or so we'll have the numbers
Old 09-26-2014, 10:17 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
2014 C63 507, 2012 R350
No Manual mode is a big negative in the new one.
Old 09-26-2014, 10:39 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 Mercedes C63 AMG SEDAN
I agree with you 100%.... While AMG add a lot of new Technology to the car they also took a lot of Charter out of it... and having to models two models to chose from just is not right....Base AMG C63 and now the AMG C63/S Why break the sales/marketing mode know? All the previous AMG Models were the top of the line and it was all or nothing... Meaning either you wanted the AMG or you wanted the non AMG version of that car. I think They should really consider some of the concerns and issues a lot of Mercedes Customer and Potential Customers have been pointing out the last two days push back the official release date Just but out a PRESS RELEASE AND SAY TECHNICAL ISSUES...(I know that's not going to happen, but what if... )

Originally Posted by coladin
No Manual mode is a big negative in the new one.
Old 09-26-2014, 11:27 PM

C63 AMG 507 Edition
Originally Posted by zibby43
You're getting way too concerned with the "quoted numbers" man.

According to Mercedes, the W204 C63 was a 4.4/4.3-second 0-60 (mph) car. In reality, it was a 3.8/3.9-second 0-60 car.

Why does Benz/AMG err on the conservative side? If the car fails to match the quoted numbers in real world tests, it gets slammed in reviews.

If the car exceeds the quoted numbers, it merely means the car is better than advertised.

So BMW does not have the same concerns?

Originally Posted by Ingenieur
Actually the numbers indicate it will smack around the competition
Only 5% heavier
But...
Over 10% more power
Over 15% more torque
And that is the base model
The old c63 is as fast as the new M's
The e63 is faster around VIR than the M4
And the w205 will be faster than the e63
Hence the c63 will be faster than the M4
In a month or so we'll have the numbers

Until the numbers come in, I'm going with whats been quoted.

In any case, what about all the other issues? How hard would it have been to put a 285 or 295 tyre on the back? Somehow BMW and Audi manage to reengineer the base car to give wider rear arch flares and great more space for wider wheels. Why does AMG find it so difficult?

It seems to be either laziness or arrogance. I would be reluctant to reward either.
Old 09-26-2014, 11:33 PM
Banned

C63 AMG
So BMW does not have the same concerns?

Until the numbers come in, I'm going with whats been quoted.

In any case, what about all the other issues? How hard would it have been to put a 285 or 295 tyre on the back? Somehow BMW and Audi manage to reengineer the base car to give wider rear arch flares and great more space for wider wheels. Why does AMG find it so difficult?

It seems to be either laziness or arrogance. I would be reluctant to reward either.
With an LSD and modern traction controls a sticky 265 is plenty
It gives better stability in normal driving, less push, better mileage, better in the rain
You call it laziness, etc., I call it engineering compromise/judgement
Better 95% of the time
Unless drag racing or appearance to some

My RS4 ran 255 with flared fenders
Old 09-26-2014, 11:33 PM

Audi S4
Originally Posted by Dark_Knight
Why C "63" unless the motor is is 6.3 liters displacement (6.208 rounds up to 6.3) dont call it a 63 unless it accelerates to 100 mph in 6.3 seconds or makes 630 hp

Why call the E63 an E63 if it has a 5.5?
Old 09-27-2014, 05:32 AM

C63 AMG 507 Edition
With an LSD and modern traction controls a sticky 265 is plenty
It gives better stability in normal driving, less push, better mileage, better in the rain
You call it laziness, etc., I call it engineering compromise/judgement
Better 95% of the time
Unless drag racing or appearance to some

Yet BMW seem to think a 275 is necessary on a car with less power/torque. And MB run a 285 on the E63.

Spin it how you like, the 265 is going to be well underdone for this car. The forums will be bit ching about this once cars start getting delivered. "Why doesn't my car have any traction?" Maybe give the Steve Jobs response - "you're driving it wrong..."

My RS4 ran 255 with flared fenders
I had the same RS4. It has 255's on all 4 corners, and drives the car through each corner, so twice the driven contact patch of the current W204 with less power / torque.

Last edited by Bardman; 09-27-2014 at 05:33 AM. Reason: Forum doesnt like the word bit ch!
Old 09-27-2014, 05:42 AM

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts
2013 C63
Yet BMW seem to think a 275 is necessary on a car with less power/torque. And MB run a 285 on the E63.

Spin it how you like, the 265 is going to be well underdone for this car. The forums will be bit ching about this once cars start getting delivered. "Why doesn't my car have any traction?" Maybe give the Steve Jobs response - "you're driving it wrong..."

I had the same RS4. It has 255's on all 4 corners, and drives the car through each corner, so twice the driven contact patch of the current W204 with less power / torque.
its okay as long as mb doesn't give as ****ty offsets we can fit fatter tires on the car
Old 09-27-2014, 09:07 AM

GT2 C63 and yo sister
Originally Posted by frank69m
Why call the E63 an E63 if it has a 5.5?
marketing, it annoys me
Old 09-27-2014, 09:09 AM

GT2 C63 and yo sister

What is does really well is kill the competition in a straight line, and sound
isnt there a cooling system upgrade u can buy from MBZ, I thought they were talking about it on PL
Old 09-27-2014, 09:48 AM

C63 AMG 507 Edition
isnt there a cooling system upgrade u can buy from MBZ, I thought they were talking about it on PL
Yes, they can retrofit the BS cooling system onto a base c63.
Old 09-27-2014, 10:25 AM

Audi S4
marketing, it annoys me

Not really. Maybe they should have done what BMW did and not put the numbers based on the engine size.

If you downsize an engine, from a marketing standpoint, people would think it is a lesser vehicle especially for 90% of the people out there who don't know cars.

Examples:

E55 AMG

the new 2015 C40 AMG
the new 2015 CLA20 AMG
Old 09-27-2014, 10:26 AM

2014 C63 AMG 507
The Estate wagon looks great. The sedan looks like a.....CLA. Disappointing. I will be keeping my W204 for quite some time. I'll have to see it in person to be 100% sure.
Old 09-27-2014, 10:49 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 AMG E63s
Alright, now I like the new interior. All of the speculating aside (that to invalidate the discussion, at all), I bet it will be a pleasure to drive. Of course it will. It'll be really interesting to see how all of these potential issues play out as it hits the streets. And as the modders get modding
Old 09-27-2014, 10:50 AM

997.2 GT3

I look at it another way. Sizing the rear tires at 265 is a subtle hint to me that maybe I should turn off the traction nannies once in a while and enjoy a bit of power oversteer fun. Certainly the inclusion of the LSD makes that easier. I wouldn't buy this car for ultimate lap times anyway.
Old 09-27-2014, 11:01 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 AMG E63s
Bigger ain't always better with tires, IMO. To ingenieur's point, push/pull (oversteer, etc.) comes into play. If you wanna drag then OK I understand. But for most folks that ain't terribly relevant since all we're doing is bombing around town and side roads. Plus they've obviously re-prioritized fuel economy too, and that's another issue I'm sure they considered. And I like large tires, just think there was probably a point and they didn't underthink ANYTHING on this car, nor their other AMG or all of MB's offerings. Sometimes folks forget how much R&D and market research goes into this stuff. They know what they're doing and did if for a gazillion reasons, and all reasons they were convinced that would yields profits over previous iterations. And they're probably damn right, cause they know what they're doing.

But we like our cars certain ways, so of course we're going to want to tweak it here or there.
Old 09-27-2014, 11:03 AM
Banned

C63 AMG

And AMG thinks 4 liter vs 3 in necessary
Decisions
Perhaps BMW made the wrong one not AMG. Possible??
No never rolf
I've driven one; it tramlines and steamrollers, feels unstable
On the RS4 all tires are the same due to awd, it still is a 255 that may carry 80% of the torque
No LSD front or rear only a TorSen in the middle

The fact that a PP C 63 on 255 runs the same as a new M tells you bmw made a lot of wrong decisions

You are saying AMG is wrong although the car is lighter than the w204 with wider tires
C&D in an old M3 comparo ran a 12.1/120 with a PP on skinny tires
That is better than ANY documented M magazine test
Many factors impact contact patch; pressure, load rating, suspension geometry, etc
This is a street car 99% of the time and is more than capable
What you say is opinion
They determine things based on engineering principle
I guess if you were influental in the decision chain it may be a wider tire
Then again if you had their knowledge base perhaps not
You have to wrap your head around the fact it matters not what you think. Same applies to what I think
Vote wth your wallet
They sold 40,000 skinny tired W204 C63's lol

Last edited by Ingenieur; 09-27-2014 at 11:16 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: W205 C63..........hmmmmm