C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

C63 Storage Question

Old 11-28-2014, 10:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 C63
C63 Storage Question

I am hoping to tap into the knowledge of the forum members here to get some guidance. I put my C63 to sleep about one month ago for the winter. I put some fuel stabilizer into the fuel and topped it off, as well as hooked it up to a Mercedes battery tender. My previous mode of thinking when storing vehicles has always been not to start it except maybe once during the winter after 3 months, at which point I will then take it for a brief drive up and down the drive way to get the tranny fluid sloshing around a bit. I also will let the engine run until up to operating temperature being shutting it down again. Some mechanics have advised me not to start the car at all over the entire storage period so as to minimize wear upon start up (eg dry starting just once in the spring as opposed to a couple times over the winter)
Now, I thought I have also been reading on this forum about people developing noisy lifters after the car has sat for a month.
What is the general consensus about storing theses cars ?
Thank you for your help,sincerely appreciated
Old 11-29-2014, 08:47 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 AMG E63s
Good question. I just started driving my 2nd car a few weeks ago myself, which leaves the C63 idle. I've been starting it once a week, and I did take it for a decent drive last week on an atypically warm day. But I live in a hilly and slick area, so unless it's bone dry and somewhat warm I won't be driving it, so definitely wondering what proper storage procedures would be too.
Old 11-29-2014, 11:18 AM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
C63 AMG
Either take it out and drive it for a good bit once and a while or not at all
Full tank with some stabilizer
A battery tender
If letting it sit over air the tires and roll it a few feet ocassionally
Some actually put it on stands, a pita imo, overkill
If sitting for a few months prime the oiling system before starting
Pull the fuel pump relay fuse and crank for 5 to 10 sec or so
You could do this on older cars, may set a code on newer ones?

I prefer driving it ocassionally, excercises the engine, tranny, diff and charges the battery

Last edited by Ingenieur; 11-29-2014 at 11:21 AM.
Old 11-29-2014, 04:20 PM

2010 C63 P30
My c63 is parked in my garage on winter wheels/tires. I take it out about once every 2 weeks and drive it around like any other car up to operating temp. Then just park it again. I dont really over think this to much. Didnt use fuel stabilizer or anything.
Old 11-29-2014, 04:50 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 AMG E63s
I forgot to mention that I checked my tire pressures after sitting for a few weeks and they had dropped considerably. Normally I run 41 front 39 back, but they'd both dropped to about 35. Hadn't seen a drop before storing so thought this was a bit odd. Not sure it's related...
Old 11-29-2014, 06:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 ATS-V
Drive it regularly or not at all...

As far as tires, as mentioned, roll it once a month a few feet in either direction, then back the next time to keep the tires from flatspotting. I stored many cars over the years (03 Cobra, 02 S2000, 07 SRT-8) during winters, and never had any issues doing it this way.
Old 11-29-2014, 11:36 PM

2012 C63
I want to sincerely thank the people who responded to my post. If there is a nice day here, I will take it out for a drive (We can insure our cars for 1 day here for 29 dollars), otherwise I think I will let it sit until the spring. I did over inflate the tires to 45 psi front and back but should check them at some point. My garage is kind of tight at the moment, so I don't have 3 feet forward or backwards to push the car The hardest part is looking at the vehicle sitting in the garage, nice and clean, knowing that it wants to be driven :-)