Noise coming from rear suspension

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 05:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'10 C63 AMG
Noise coming from rear suspension

Hey guys.

So few weeks ago I had my car on jack stands to get my winters put on. Ever since I've had the winters on I've been hearing a noise going over small bumps, coming from the rear suspension.

Driving straight and under hard turns/braking I don't hear anything, it's only when I go over little bumps, such as the uneven road surfaces right now from the packed snow. Sometimes at highway speeds hitting dips in the road, I don't hear it.

As for the sound, I wouldn't say its a clunk. Definitely not metal on metal type of sound. It's pretty soft, but it reminds me of a previous vehicle with blown struts which is why I'm a little concerned. Basically every time there is suspension travel at low speeds I hear it.

I will try to get a video of it next time I take the car out. The car is still under warranty so I might just bring it in to Merc if this isn't a common issue..
Old 12-03-2014, 07:27 PM

C63 PP+, 2014
Hi

Hi Starky. Is the sound still there. Ivery had the same sound you are talking about. It could be the bushes. no way it could be that the sususpension is injured or the brake drums are harmed. lifting a car up and brining it down in my opinion could only make the sound come from the bushes. with time it would wear off as you drive and go into more bumps. plus might be the weather is so called the rubber seals and bushes are so hard that might sound. my r8 does this in cold weather. best of luck.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C63 AMG Black Series
Check the bushings! There might be more play in one causing the air travel to take the bump before it reaches the suspension.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:59 PM

2011 C63 AMG P31
Originally Posted by VaclavSV
Check the bushings! There might be more play in one causing the air travel to take the bump before it reaches the suspension.
Almost definitely bushings. Check their integrity, and blast them with a bit of silicone lube.

Otherwise, check springs/perches for play (I had a 335i in which the perch was failing, and the spring would move it and cause a crunching sound).
Old 02-08-2015, 06:11 PM

c63 amg
Starky, I hear the same sound too when driving in this winter. sometimes the sound is gone, sometimes I can hear it every time I drive on uneven road. definitely gonna check it in dealer...