Browse all: Tire Repair and Maintenance
Print Wikipost

Winter Wheels or Tires?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 10:27 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 AMG E63s
First of all, who gives a crap about sidemarkers. Avery go pay to have your sidemarkers painted or vinyl wrapped or whatever you want. Totally irrelevant. Sidemarkers help you get seen by those other drivers you state are the real risk in winter... Stupid. Plus they're a legal requirement in some areas. Anyway...

Now, I think the real argument against driving my C63 in the winter months (I'm with Avery on this, bought a Jeep and drive it during the cold months) is the potholes. They are monsters and would pretty quickly destroy my rims, even my stock rims/tires if I wasn't super careful. The potholes are murder around here. Heck, I almost busted a rim on my grand cherokee going over some evil ice block in the middle of the road. It would've murdered my C63 wheels, tires, and suspension. My 2 cents. Enjoy y'alls cars...
Old 03-01-2015, 02:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 793 Likes on 545 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Originally Posted by alexmtl
I wouldn't worry about wear on your tire when it's that cold, the rubber is hard as ice. However I would worry about safety, especially that they forecast snow for this week.
^ This.

Never mind the legal requrements... we had a freak, light snowfall in late October in Toronto and I still had my PSS on. Wasn't able to steer the car in 1 cm of snow at 2 km/h. I'd keep the winters on until mid-April at the earliest.
Old 03-01-2015, 02:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 793 Likes on 545 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Originally Posted by jcfay
<snip>

Now, I think the real argument against driving my C63 in the winter months (I'm with Avery on this, bought a Jeep and drive it during the cold months) is the potholes. They are monsters and would pretty quickly destroy my rims, even my stock rims/tires if I wasn't super careful. The potholes are murder around here. Heck, I almost busted a rim on my grand cherokee going over some evil ice block in the middle of the road. It would've murdered my C63 wheels, tires, and suspension. My 2 cents. Enjoy y'alls cars...
That definitley is a valid argument. Just got a GLK for this reason alone and a set of 17s with winters on it (the OEMs are 20s and thus equally unsuitable).