Print Wikipost

Key fob battery keeps dying

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 03:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,598 Likes on 940 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
I'm 1.5 years in on the current energizer lithium 2025. Daily driven.

Originally Posted by zibby43
I bought my batteries from a local pharmacy.
Are you getting each battery at the same pharmacy? Maybe they had a bad batch.
Old 01-17-2015, 04:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 97 Likes on 82 Posts
'20 GLC300 SUV
Originally Posted by JonMBZ
Do you have a spare and does it have this problem if not just have the dealer get you a new key under warranty. They will give you a free battery im sure. I give them out all the time. I usually give the speech about the key being to close to the vehicle as well and that's what I was about to tell you.
I do have a spare key - it has the AMG logo/Affalterbach crest on it.

Thank you for the heads up about the free batteries. It is also good to know that if the key is problematic, it will be covered under warranty. I bet those "smart" keys aren't cheap.

How long does it take to get a new key coded to a customer's vehicle?

Originally Posted by -Marlin-
I've had the same problems as mentioned in this thread with my keyless go. Sounds like there are some inherent flaws with it.

Great thing about these forums....being able to compare notes and all. Prior to this, I'd take a car in and the dealer would say "never seen that before...."
+1

Originally Posted by Jasonoff
I'm 1.5 years in on the current energizer lithium 2025. Daily driven.

Are you getting each battery at the same pharmacy? Maybe they had a bad batch.
That is the exact same battery I have been using.

And no, I've gotten a few at Walgreens and a few at CVS.

I've been keeping the key in my pocket (alone) instead of in the side pocket in the door with my wallet and so far, this new battery has been working. Knock on wood.
Old 01-17-2015, 04:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 AMG
That is the exact same battery I have been using.

And no, I've gotten a few at Walgreens and a few at CVS.

I've been keeping the key in my pocket (alone) instead of in the side pocket in the door with my wallet and so far, this new battery has been working. Knock on wood.
I have always kept mine in a pocket on its own.

Do you have any RFID items in your wallet?
Old 01-17-2015, 05:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 97 Likes on 82 Posts
'20 GLC300 SUV
Originally Posted by Jasonoff
I have always kept mine in a pocket on its own.

Do you have any RFID items in your wallet?
I have always kept my key fobs in my pockets. I don't know what compelled me to start putting it in the side pocket there. I suppose that sometimes the aggressive thigh bolstering pushed the key into my thigh if the key wiggled itself into that position.

And to your question, I probably do.
Old 01-17-2015, 05:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 C63 P30
I do have a spare key - it has the AMG logo/Affalterbach crest on it.

Thank you for the heads up about the free batteries. It is also good to know that if the key is problematic, it will be covered under warranty. I bet those "smart" keys aren't cheap.

How long does it take to get a new key coded to a customer's vehicle?

Got my key and had it coded to the car all on the same day, think it depends on if theres a benz key warehouse near you. i paid in the morning and picked it up by about 2 that afternoon
Old 10-19-2015, 12:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts
C63 coupe, Z3M Roadster garage queen
Standard battery for our remotes is a CR2025. The CR2032 is the same voltage and same diameter, but a little thicker and rated for a longer service life. Has anyone tried a CR2032 in our remotes to see if it fits?
Old 12-14-2015, 04:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLC-300
Question dying battery

I have the same issue. I have a C250 that is a bit over a year old. I've already replaced the batter twice in one fob, and once in the spare. I just changed the battery a few days ago, and the low battery message is already coming up again. This is my fourth MB, and I had my previous ones all for 4+ years each, and only replaced a battery once in all of those years. This is the only one that I've ever had that had the keyless entry. I've also had an issue where my trunk will come open by itself, so I think that the button is being accidentally pushed while the key is in my pocket. I only have one other key on the ring, which is my house key. So, are my pants too tight (lol), the key buttons more sensitive than previous keys, or is the keyless entry the culprit? I keep the key a good 25 feet or more away from the car, so I don't think that the constant communication issue is the problem.. This is very perplexing.
Old 03-07-2016, 06:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 382 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
Need to refresh this thread. I have been changing my battery way too much. Tired of buying batteries and am thinking even though I am storing the battery inside, far away from the car, the signal is still there draining the battery. I am going to start wrapping the key fob in some aluminum and test it out, to see if the battery lasts longer.

I have a Xterra and over 6 years never changed the key fob battery once...
Old 03-07-2016, 07:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 AMG
I have changed mine once in 4 years.
Old 03-07-2016, 09:06 PM

2010 c63 (p31) w/LSD
Try to buy fresh batteries. I was changing mine with amazon purchased batteries and they would last only like 6 months. But last time I bought them from target and it's been longer than 6 months and they are still working great. Admittedly its luck of the draw but it seems like we need batteries that haven't been on the shelf for any period of time.
Old 03-08-2016, 12:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 795 Likes on 546 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
The car constantly communicates with the key the entire time it is running. That's how you get the "Key not present" message when you walk away more than 6' with the engine running. About a year is par for the course with good, fresh batteries.
Old 02-13-2020, 08:52 AM

mb gl 450
I have replaced my key fob battery 3 times in the last 3 months.

I'm using brand new Energizer CR2025 batteries.

I don't keep the key in the car and I only drive my C63 4-5 times a week, max.

I have Keyless Go.

Same problem. I’m getting 2 weeks out of a fresh battery. Crazy. Does MB make this right?
Old 02-13-2020, 11:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 AMG
Your fob is too close to the car.
Old 02-13-2020, 02:24 PM
SPONSOR

Received 801 Likes on 571 Posts
2007 Mercedes E63 AMG
I had great luck in the past with the original magenta and grey packaging maxell batteries. energizer it has been hit or miss, but when a miss, they die completely within 2-3 months. the new maxell batteries with orange and silver packaging have been a complete miss. my car after 2 weeks will state battery needs replacement, but i'll be able to continue to use the battery for 2-6 months.

Here are directions on how to disable your keyfob from communicating 2 way with your vehicle. This same information was shared by AMG during 2016? Laguna Seca AMG Owners Event. Works for all Keyless Go fobs.

http://www.benzblogger.com/2015/01/m...n-and-off.html
Keyless-GO is an option built into your SmartKey. If the car senses the key, it will allow you to open the doors, start the car and lock the doors with the touch of your hand. This extra capability can drain the small battery in the key more quickly than you might like. To combat that battery drain it is now possible to turn off the Keyless-Go functionality of your key!
  1. Press Lock
  2. With 2 seconds, double click lock
Now the indicated (and photo enhanced) LED on the key will flash twice quickly and once longer to indicate that the Keyless-GO functionality is turned off. This is a good idea for your spare key so it doesn’t have a dead battery when you need it, or if you are taking your key on a long vacation.

To reactivate, simply press unlock on the key.

​​​Follow us on instagram @eightysixtuned
https://www.eightysixtuned.com

Last edited by hachiroku; 02-13-2020 at 02:27 PM.
Old 01-01-2024, 09:00 PM

C-class sedan
C-class batteries failing: SOLVED

We had the same problem with my wife's C-class: Despite voltmeter reading 3.0 volts, and some of the batteries reading 3.3 volts, the specified (new) CR2025 batteries didn't work reliably. When they do work, they die quickly. I then put in CR2032 batteries which are slightly thicker (and take some pressure to push them in place) -- and both keys now work fine! The votage is the same. I suspect the thicker 2032 battery may generate more amperage (current) than the 2025, making the difference in performance. Other than being slightly thicker, the 2032 looks otherwise the same as the 2025.

This has been a real failing on the part of Mercedes. We've had a lot of trouble with the key fobs due to battery failure, and even "key not detected" messages. Our other non-Mercedes cars over the years never had this problem.

I have replaced my key fob battery 3 times in the last 3 months.

I'm using brand new Energizer CR2025 batteries.

I don't keep the key in the car and I only drive my C63 4-5 times a week, max.

I have Keyless Go.

Old 01-01-2024, 09:03 PM

C-class sedan
YES -- I was struggling with the keys not working with the 2025 batteries, and/or failing quickly. I just inserted 2032 batteries in both fobs and they work fine. It does take some pressure to get them in position, but I think it's worth it.